Author Topic: Does living in a block affect suitability to adopt?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Does living in a block affect suitability to adopt?
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »
I can't see there being a problem based on what you've said anyway in your post.   As has been said above though you may find it depends on the rescue you choose to adopt from and the person doing the homecheck!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 06:30:55 AM »
We too are happy to home cats as indoor.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 00:41:35 AM »
I should have mentioned that I am in Central London.  Also, I own my home so no need to get permission from anyone, I'm pretty sure my lease doesn't mention anything about pet ownership. Sadly my rabbit passed away 4 years ago (from cancer also), so, at the moment just the one cat.

It would be lovely to give a home to a cat in need whilst at the same time getting a companion for my cat - but I still need to think hard on this before I make the commitment.

Thank you for your advice and words! 

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 18:00:11 PM »
you might also want to get a letter from your landlord or property management people confirming they are happy for you to have a cat. Some rescues may find this evidence of having looked into it reassuring. I realise you do have a cat and a rabbit at present, but this is not always evidence that is acceptable to some.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 17:58:20 PM »
We rehome to people in flats and whether they are on the 1st or 50th floor is neither here nor there - As long as the cats safety & welfare are taken care of, that's all that matters  :hug:

People offering a home to an older cat are like gold dust so any rescue with any sense will treat the offer accordingly   :)

Which part of the country are you in?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 17:59:54 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 17:52:06 PM »
no problems here

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 17:48:27 PM »

I can't see that would be a problem but I honestly think alot will depend on the person who homechecks you and the rescue to chose to use !
Every rescue has it's own policys.

Hopefully someone on here from rescue can help you

Good luck xx

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
Does living in a block affect suitability to adopt?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 17:31:55 PM »
i am hoping to adopt an older indoors-only pedigree cat (11yrs +) to keep my recently bereaved siamese cat company during the day when I am at work...i am worried however that i will be refused because i live on the 11th (top) floor of a block.  i have lived here for 10 years with two cats and a rabbit and have never had any 'mishaps'. i am careful, to the point of paranoid, about keeping all windows shut that they could get to and climb out of.  i have also cat-proofed my balcony (fully securing it, with a plastic mesh screen secured to a wooden frame) so that my siamese can spend time with me out there - and even though the balcony is cat-proofed, i would never let him out there unsupervised!  my flat is also only a 1 bedroom flat so I am also concerned that this would be a negative too - I don't have a big house with gardens and I am not located near rolling fields - one day maybe, just not right now! :)

I am an experienced and responsible cat owner, having had cats all my life - both moggies and pedigree and I know that my vet would have no problem in providing a reference, he knows me well, having just been through an 18 month programme of chemo and aftercare with my cat that just passed away.

any feedback would be grea.  Thanks.

Link to CatChat