Author Topic: New Auction software - Please post comments / questions / problems here  (Read 36725 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: New Auction software - Please post comments / questions / problems here
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 18:46:51 PM »
I've noticed there's an edit button but I've just clicked on it and a message comes up saying an edit can not be made because item has bids on it.

Mary

yes at the mo you can't edit your item once bids have started.
This is so the item that people have bided on stays the same.
I will see if I as admin can edit it for peeps if they need to change some details
 :hug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 18:39:47 PM »
No time to read all this so I don't know if it's been asked before, sorry.

I want to make a comment in my item that I have put up Auction - how do I do it?  Do I have to make a bid and then just delete the bid from my comment??

The reason is that the 2 people who have made bids have not read that my item has a starting price and their bids are well low

Hi Mary hun

Thanks  ;D

We have done it so the rule we have always had which is that no comments (posting on the auction thread as last year) are allowed without a bid   so you are not able to just post a comment with out bidding a smaller higher amount. 

We had this "rule" from the start of the auctions so people cant bump their own items. ie no posting unless bidding as well  :sneaky:

But you have pointed out something carol also did and that at the mo you can miss in the text of the item that a starting bid amount has been set soooo
on our list to change is to force that starting bid into bidding system so that amount can only be the staring bid entered.
This will be an option that auctioneers can choose to do when putting their item up.

:hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 18:44:34 PM by Tan »

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 18:39:28 PM »
Help, I'm new to auctions here. I have a hand crafted new silver pendant with three gemstones. I have just taken a photo. How do I put it in the auction.
Julie.

Pendant below.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 18:35:38 PM »
I've noticed there's an edit button but I've just clicked on it and a message comes up saying an edit can not be made because item has bids on it.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 18:22:00 PM »
Minimum bids are not common but definately happen and someone may want to expand the dexcription of item or correct it so its good question

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 18:20:08 PM »
It's not a major thing but just wondered. Don't suppose it will come up really as not many have added comments to their own items in the past.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 18:16:35 PM »
hmmmm thats an interesting one Mary

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 18:14:02 PM »
No time to read all this so I don't know if it's been asked before, sorry.

I want to make a comment in my item that I have put up Auction - how do I do it?  Do I have to make a bid and then just delete the bid from my comment??

The reason is that the 2 people who have made bids have not read that my item has a starting price and their bids are well low

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 18:04:28 PM »
Its worked too  :wow: :wow: :wow:

Not even gonna ask why it hasnt worked before lol

So now need to move and test something else!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 18:00:18 PM »
Thank you and better get drawing then  :scared: :scared:

I will try the next bid and keep fingers crossed  ;D

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 17:41:32 PM »
Just to say many bid on their own item, because they changed mind and want it but also have a limit they can afford to do so.

To put a start figure is no good in this situation.

I therefore will not put an item in bacause if I decide I want to keep it, I dont have that option anymore  :'( :'( :'(

I have just asked Steve if we can take that rule out then as while on any auction site it isn't fair to bump up the price this is for needy cats  :sneaky:  so if the bid was to high for anyone then they simply don't bid again if they wish
Also I do enjoy answering comments on my items and as we have always had the rule that you can't comment without leaving a higher bid that also helps raise a bit more for the cats :)

So will aske Steve to take this rule out so we can bid on own items

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 17:21:41 PM »
Just to say many bid on their own item, because they changed mind and want it but also have a limit they can afford to do so.

To put a start figure is no good in this situation.

I therefore will not put an item in bacause if I decide I want to keep it, I dont have that option anymore  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 17:17:52 PM »
It worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has anything changed?

Gonna try another item

lol nope nowt changed yet

Brilliant :)  so ya browser ok :)   ;D ;D ;D

ok try now and leave a comment as well as bid

so
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=34
-Click Enter bid button
-Enter an amount say 2.00 (or higher than last one)
-scroll down and click on a smiley or type in text in post box
- click " place bid & comment " Button

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 17:16:26 PM »
Geez that one worked too!

had tried bidding on this item many times before and it didnt work.

So need to test something else  :innocent:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 17:13:44 PM »
It worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has anything changed?

Gonna try another item

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 17:12:31 PM »
wouldn't let me click the blue box turned into a hand

Hi Dawn hun

Yeap when you hover over the blue "Enter Bid" button your cursor should turn into a hand so you can click. This is a pc's way to show the area is clickable.

What happens when you click?

What browser are you using and version

xx

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 17:04:44 PM »
So what may be wrong in my browser?

:rofl:  what's wrong wiv ya computer lol ya had sooo much trouble wiv it aint ya.

hmm i don't know cause it's hard to tell without looking at it to see what is going wrong.

I would say try another browser but I knwo we have had this before and ya no likely using another one with ya pc not working all correctly.

Ok  :) lets see
so ya can see the bid amount box and the comments box after you click £enter Bid" blue button on item page.
Then you enter the amount in decimal format and so far ya have had errors
- You cant enter this twice
- You have to bid a higher amount

Is that right?
Those errors are meant to be there if ya try to press the bid button twice or if ya enter a lower amount as the system wont let you bid a lower amount than the last bid.

So if ya try and bid again what happens?
we are getting rid of the "Enter Bid" blue button  once the amnount box appears cause if you enter an amount and then click that button above, it does nothing but take you back to the item page. so I wonder if that's whats happening? we will get rid of that so it's not there to click.

So lets try and bid on darlin Bonnie  :Luv: :Luv: try to do a quick bid with no comments for now on this auction item
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=34
-Click Enter bid button
-Enter an amount sat 1.00
-click Quick bid button

watch what happens and let me know.

what should happen is the page will relaod automatically showing your 1.00 bid at the top

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 17:21:08 PM by Tan »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 16:41:35 PM »
So what may be wrong in my browser?

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 15:51:08 PM »
Thanks for everyones tests and comments so far  ;D :hug: :thanks:

This is exactly what we need to get it all as near as poss suited to us. Thanksfully  ;D I have a very clever hubby that can hard code all the software so we can add / change things etc

Keep em coming :)

Once we have sorted the running of the new software, then we can test the end of an auction.  ;D esp how the server takes the load!!  :scared:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 15:46:05 PM »
I've tried search - can't search on three letters or less, so "vole" is okay but "box" is not.  I've tried edit - can't edit a listing with bids on it (fairy nuff); edited one with no bids okay.

ok thanks  :hug:, will change to min 3 words :)

yes ya can't edit the item details once bidding has started. I will have a look to see if it is allowed by admin and of something needs editing after bids, then I can do it.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 15:42:05 PM »
I had a quick play last night on my phone using chrome mobile and bidding & comment worked fine. Will try get some time again later x

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Great thanks hun

any ideas/comments etc pop em in ere xx

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 15:40:21 PM »
I saw every new bid and new item in the auction thread posted as a new 'post'. Geez my memory so bad and underneath or on top was where it had been posted from. Saw all this in unread posts and during the auction weeks and it totally dominated the new posts in Purrs for that time. So didnt need to go into any button as a concious thought I just clicked on the unread posts or deleted them if I wasnt interested in any. So very easy to keep things clear.

Thanks  :hug: Yes I can see we will be "hiding" the auction more from the main forum activity but we have a solution :)
OK we can do this :)  What we can do is incorporate the new auction items when added to the auction list into the main forum so we have a main thread under the auction forum section entitled "New Auction Items"  then under that thread every time a new auction item is listed it will automatically post a new post in that thread of the new item with just a small image and the title of it and you can click on it to go to that item in the actual auction to bid.  These posts will be locked/ read only (so you cant bid in there) and also all these posts will appear in your unread posts option at the top.   and good news is that only one post per new auction item will be posted on the actual forum - not tons of bidding posts as well.

This way people that maybe don't go into the auction button can see on the forum what items have up for auction. Bit like advertising each item with pic and mane only in the forum.

As far as bidding on own item, last year I put something in that was of more value to me than the bids it was getting so decided I would like to keep and bid on it to do this................I lost in the end ...sigh.
I don't fink it's far to have an auctioneer bid on their own item to just bump up the value  :sneaky: but we can set a starting bid now so only that amount can be used to start the item off and no lower amount can be entered to start.

Yes I was referring to name a cat etc but would it work to have it seperate?

We could have all the "name a cat" etc threads separate in the forum as usual as these normally carry on after the auction has fini so if peeps didn't win want they wanted they can still pop donations into these if they want.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 14:59:52 PM »
So far so good.  ;D  I've entered items and had notifications of bids,  and I've bid on items and had notifications of being outbid.  At first I was a bit disappointed that you could only see the name of the last bidder and not all the bidders (like to size up the competition  :evillaugh: ) but when the notification of being outbid arrived it had a list of all bidders so no problem there.

Yup as Frances found  ;D ya can see a full list of all the bids under the red number of bids text line that is clickable.

I just :Luv2:  the buttons on the left hand side for Unviewed items, My bids and My listings.  They will save me so much time (and help stop me from bankrupting myself) when the auction gets into full swing.  I haven't tried the Search or Edit buttons yet but I will.

:) yes thought these would be handy. Also will be a quick way to see what you have won etc when auction is fini and to easy contact the auctioneer with your address.  Also when auction is fini there will be xtra options in there to update the status of each item to paid / posted/ received etc
and in the same for the mylistings tab.

I'm finding having the comments separated from the bids a bit strange because the last bid and the last comment are not necessarily from the same person so if somebody has posted just a smiley it doesn't always make sense now that you can only see the last bid and not any that went before it.  My feeling is this might take a bit of the fun out of handbag exchanges  but I'll just have to get into one and see what happens.  :)  I'm sure I'll get used to it.

This is a bit is a bit difficult to join the amount and comments together because in our normal thread auctions last year we typed the amount and comment in the text box so both were together as one text post but we need to do the amount in sep box so it posted into the auction as a bid and it cuts so much work out so we don't have to go into each thread to see the amounts.  :shify: :evillaugh:

We are redoing the look of the bidding page so the comments are not so far away, we don't need all the info of the item shown on the actual bidding page as they are shown on the item page so we can hide these from view and if you do want to view the item details in the bidding page we will put in a click to view them.  We will also spread and move things up the page instead of having it only in the center  so the bottom comments will be much closer to the top.

I've never been very successful at keeping track of 'my' items in the final frantic minutes of the auction and I wonder how I will cope with the new system and whether I'll be able to see them all on screen and cope with all the updating involved.  I notice there is a countdown clock so are you going to publicise when we're approaching the end of the test auction like you do with the real one so that we can see how it works and have a practice under pressure?  I think I might need more than one practice.  :innocent:

Yes we will have as mnay end auction tests as we like :) I can change the end date of the count down clock and this is def something we need to test. We are working on the end auction system so we can have a go once we have fini that.

Hopefully it will be easier to bid on the things you really want as in Mybids tab you will have a list of all the item you have bid on, which ones you are winning at the top and ones outbid underneath. From that page you can link into the item to bid so you could use that page to track all the items you want/fightin for  :naughty:.

I notice that its possible to ignore what the auctioner asked for as a starting price and bid lower.  Yes I know twas ever thus but I just wondered if its possible to programme it such that the system won't accept a lower bid (says she who knows nothing whatsoever about how much work this might entail.... I'll get me coat  :sneakin:  )

Yes this is a good idea and we can do this, ie we can set a starting bid into the system so only that bid amount can be started. It will be an option when you add an item :)

Brilll thanks hun  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 15:00:31 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 14:14:29 PM »

By the way, there is a C missing from the button :shify: and maybe it would be possible to change the letter colouring so it stands out when the auction is live?

Yes great idea :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 00:17:27 AM »
No LOL well I dont think so!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 21:12:29 PM »
I am also using that combo

Can one do a screen shot straight to Purrs without having to put it into a doc or anything?

I took the photo on the lottery ticket post with my iPad and it accepted it without resizing. Shame it's upside down. Is that what you meant?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 19:57:37 PM »
Ok yes mine looks like that but just tried bidding again and doesnt work grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Browser settings now thats a runner cos know that they could be dodgy as have probs dowloading pics sometimes and I was instructed to temp change a setting and then download and change back.............well that worked!

Never had to do this before lappy was rebuilt and many things have changed cos think when the lappy was messed around with last year by McCaffie who really messed it up and then by Dell who tried to put it right but thet said it really needed rebuilding.

I must try and be carefully because watch sgtreaming football and NOTHING must mess that up LOL

The browsers settings names all look different  to what I was used to  and no clue where to start !!

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 18:02:51 PM »
Thanks so much - really helpful stuff ere :)  This is exactly why we wanted ya testing it so we can change :) so all ideas are very welcome :)

Thanks Frances  :hug:  so things are ok on IE9 for you.  I fink we need to see if Gilly has different settings on her browser.

Gill this is a pic, once you click the Enter bid button where you add the amount then either click "quick Bid" or add a comment and click "place bid & comment" Button 

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 16:50:15 PM »
This has been saved as a jpg in Office Tools.

It's the first page you get after clicking on the item title.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 16:44:24 PM »

Can one do a screen shot straight to Purrs without having to put it into a doc or anything?

It doesn't look like it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 16:39:14 PM »

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 15:18:27 PM »
Ie9 is old so will check it out tomorrow. What windows version have you got? 
I'm using IE9 :-[ on Windows 7.

I'm finding having the comments separated from the bids a bit strange [snip] this might take a bit of the fun out of handbag exchanges
I agree, although as Carol says it might just need a bit of getting used to . . . :-:

At first I was a bit disappointed that you could only see the name of the last bidder and not all the bidders (like to size up the competition  :evillaugh: ) but when the notification of being outbid arrived it had a list of all bidders so no problem there.
If you click on the number of bids (below the current price) it brings up a list of bidders and what/when they bid.  I was going to say that I missed the date/time of the latest bid until I found this. ;)

I've tried search - can't search on three letters or less, so "vole" is okay but "box" is not.  I've tried edit - can't edit a listing with bids on it (fairy nuff); edited one with no bids okay.

I've added another item and unchecked the "notify me of replies" box, so will see how that goes plus added some bids to existing items.

Will keep playing and report back :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 14:15:45 PM »
Sp agree with Carols comments but think I am not seeing the pages right cos cant see most of what Carol can.

I think maybe I used old system different to others but dont know.

I never had any notifications of anything although my messages came to me by email and nothing appeared in messages of anything to do with auction................am I misunderstanding what you said?

I saw every new bid and new item in the auction thread posted as a new 'post'. Geez my memory so bad and underneath or on top was where it had been posted from. Saw all this in unread posts and during the auction weeks and it totally dominated the new posts in Purrs for that time. So didnt need to go into any button as a concious thought I just clicked on the unread posts or deleted them if I wasnt interested in any. So very easy to keep things clear.

I dont know why it wont let me bid but it wont and where Carol has bee n able to put in a lower bid I get must put in a higher bid eeven when I have!!!!!!

It will not accept a quick bid or one with comments.

As far as bidding on own item, last year I put something in that was of more value to me than the bids it was getting so decided I would like to keep and bid on it to do this................I lost in the end ...sigh.

Yes I was referring to name a cat etc but would it work to have it seperate?

Why wont it let me bid, why dont I see what others see?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 13:50:03 PM »
I had a quick play last night on my phone using chrome mobile and bidding & comment worked fine. Will try get some time again later x

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 13:45:46 PM »
Chrome Version 38.0.2125.104 m

Is the version it updated to and is showing at up-to-date.

By the way, there is a C missing from the button :shify: and maybe it would be possible to change the letter colouring so it stands out when the auction is live?

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 13:39:39 PM »
The girls have tried it on Firefox, seems to work.....

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 13:32:18 PM »
I'll have a play later. The girls might want to put their brother up for sale  :evillaugh:

:rofl: :rofl: thanks Lou x

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 13:31:57 PM »
wouldn't let me click the blue box turned into a hand

Hi hun thanks, what browser are you using and what version . Thanks :)

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 13:31:05 PM »
Chrome has updated to the latest version, but it still :evillaugh: won't let me bid, so maybe something in my settings in Chrome if no one else is having problems :-: The previous version was in my last post, but for some reason it pasted in microscopic font  It was [size=0px]Version 37.0.2062.124 m  [/size][/color]

Thanks hun :)  Crome worked ok for us in the latest version 38.02 but will have a look if any setting can effect other users.  :hug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 13:29:38 PM »
So far so good.  ;D  I've entered items and had notifications of bids,  and I've bid on items and had notifications of being outbid.  At first I was a bit disappointed that you could only see the name of the last bidder and not all the bidders (like to size up the competition  :evillaugh: ) but when the notification of being outbid arrived it had a list of all bidders so no problem there.

I just :Luv2:  the buttons on the left hand side for Unviewed items, My bids and My listings.  They will save me so much time (and help stop me from bankrupting myself) when the auction gets into full swing.  I haven't tried the Search or Edit buttons yet but I will.

I'm finding having the comments separated from the bids a bit strange because the last bid and the last comment are not necessarily from the same person so if somebody has posted just a smiley it doesn't always make sense now that you can only see the last bid and not any that went before it.  My feeling is this might take a bit of the fun out of handbag exchanges  but I'll just have to get into one and see what happens.  :)  I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I've never been very successful at keeping track of 'my' items in the final frantic minutes of the auction and I wonder how I will cope with the new system and whether I'll be able to see them all on screen and cope with all the updating involved.  I notice there is a countdown clock so are you going to publicise when we're approaching the end of the test auction like you do with the real one so that we can see how it works and have a practice under pressure?  I think I might need more than one practice.  :innocent:

I notice that its possible to ignore what the auctioner asked for as a starting price and bid lower.  Yes I know twas ever thus but I just wondered if its possible to programme it such that the system won't accept a lower bid (says she who knows nothing whatsoever about how much work this might entail.... I'll get me coat  :sneakin:  )

Hi Hun thanks very much for this  :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat