Author Topic: Shelter adoption regulations  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Shelter adoption regulations
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 18:38:56 PM »
I was turned down because I offered an indoor home.  My cats are spoilt rotten so the rescues who said no to me sadly missed out.  I adore my cats hairballs and all  :evillaugh:

Snap and the RSPCA were very snotty in doing so.  >:( I even specified in my e-mail that I can offer a stable home, have adopted from the organisation before, was looking for an adult and was happy to take on a deaf or FIV cat. Noah (adopted from CP) has made himself right at home here and has all mod cons including a furball cleansing service!  :sick:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the replys.  Mark I would love to say that to them, these are stuborn old cat lady's that rule is rules and won't budge. I did say to many times, them that Ai chan is very happy with phillip.

Just got told don't worry you can always Foster more, this lady finds sutable kittens or cat that has to be very layed back for Ai chan.

My Ai Chan is treated like a queen,  she is given the best of steak meat when we have a steak.
She gets quality cat food and kibbles. Even phillip my foster is treated the same.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:55:09 AM by Shiroi-Neko »

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
I was turned down because I offered an indoor home.  My cats are spoilt rotten so the rescues who said no to me sadly missed out.  I adore my cats hairballs and all  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 19:30:54 PM »

I know of a quite large independent rescue. Last summer I was talking to the chairman of the trustees about his homing policy. He said that they don't do homechecks but they refuse to home cats to certain postcodes/roads.

I experienced something similar when I homed Pepsi, I was looking for an indoors only cat anyway but Carol who ran the Cat Orphanage said if she was coming to live in my area I had to promise not to let her out anyway. There was a branch of the rescue in my area and apparently they've both heard a lot of stories about things happening to cats which I don't find it that hard to believe. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable letting her outside, however I would be totally insulted if I was told I couldn't adopt a cat because of the street I lived on, just because I live in a rough area doesn't mean I wouldn't care for my pet. I think a homecheck is a way more accurate way of finding suitable homes for cats instead of just boycotting certain postcodes.

I agree. Sharon probably remembers about 3 years ago. I got a call from a woman who lives in an iffy area a couple of miles from here. She said that her neighbour was a BSB. The females had a few litters and then disappeared. She said one of them kept coming into her garden and she was worried about what might happen to her. She had registered her worries with a certain charity who are supposed to prevent cruelty but did nothing in this case. We spirited away this "lost" cat  :innocent:

The lady who had called lived on this estate herself and also said she wouldn't let her cats out. She had a CP sticker in the window, cat ornaments and photos all over the house and a couple of very well cared for cats of her own. Why should be like that be denied a pet because of their address? - she was a cats best friend and we need more like her around. I know it isn't just independants as I spoke to a CP branch a couple of years ago and they said they also refuse to home to certain parts of town.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 19:34:09 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 19:07:38 PM »

I know of a quite large independent rescue. Last summer I was talking to the chairman of the trustees about his homing policy. He said that they don't do homechecks but they refuse to home cats to certain postcodes/roads.

I experienced something similar when I homed Pepsi, I was looking for an indoors only cat anyway but Carol who ran the Cat Orphanage said if she was coming to live in my area I had to promise not to let her out anyway. There was a branch of the rescue in my area and apparently they've both heard a lot of stories about things happening to cats which I don't find it that hard to believe. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable letting her outside, however I would be totally insulted if I was told I couldn't adopt a cat because of the street I lived on, just because I live in a rough area doesn't mean I wouldn't care for my pet. I think a homecheck is a way more accurate way of finding suitable homes for cats instead of just boycotting certain postcodes.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 18:41:03 PM »
I don't understand how a flat can be good enough for fostering but not good enough for a permanent home - it seems  :Crazy: - I know Sharon, our homing officer will always try to rehome cats that have been used to going out to homes with gardens - especially younger ones. Each 'case' has to be taken on merit though. I hate hard & fast rules. If a cat like Philip is happy where he is, why shouldn't he stay? - it could be that they don't want to lose a fosterer. Maybe you could call their bluff and say you won't be fostering any more cats after Philip.

I know of a quite large independent rescue. Last summer I was talking to the chairman of the trustees about his homing policy. He said that they don't do homechecks but they refuse to home cats to certain postcodes/roads. He said he has had run-ins with his local CP branch over this. I said I thought it was a bit odd but he said it worked for them and so far, they hadn't had any problems with it. Having grown up on a council estate in a house where the animals were family and taken great care of, I found it really insulting. On the other hand, I have seen people in Waitrose buying the finest food for themselves and sticking a box of go-cat on the trolley for 'the cat'  :tired: - I also knew a posh girl at college whos family have a posh house in a nice area and their cat was put outside at night regardless of the weather.  >:( - she thought it was normal  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline miranda luck

• Adult Cat
    • Rescue Review
  • Slave to: Fluffy!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 18:18:09 PM »
If you adopted your cats recently, and would like to go into a draw for a year's supply of free cat food ... please fill out a quick on-line review on my website?

Many thanks - Miranda Luck
The more the shelters and rescues know about your views, the better they will be able meet your needs, improve standards & increase the number of animals successfully homed!
Provides up to date information for those considering adoption by listing ALL rescue and rehoming orgs in the UK. Useful site!

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 19:46:40 PM »
Where I got Pepsi from, there were no set rules. It was an organisation called the Cat Orphanage but it was 3 or 4 ladies in the Teesside area who all have pens in their gardens and ran the rescue like that so they were quite easy going and had no set ways of doing things. They took each case by it's own merits so instead of having a blanket ban on people living in flats they would consider the circumstances and if any cats would suit that type of life. For instance most large rescues aren't keen on the idea of cats being indoors only but Carol said I could only take Pepsi if she was kept indoors all the time.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
Shelter adoption regulations
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 19:29:28 PM »
There is a lot of rescue shelters and they have diffrent rules for adoptive parents
these are One Of my local shelters rule, No cats to be homed to people who live in flats, must have a garden. Only fiv or disabled cats can live in flats.

I have fallen in love with my foster cat phillip  and my Deaf cat Ai chan get on like wild fire,and I know I can't keep him due to rules.  :'(

What are your shelters rules when it comes to cat adoption?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 20:16:38 PM by Shiroi-Neko »

Link to CatChat