Author Topic: How to stop being obsessed with my cats health.  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
Re: How to stop being obsessed with my cats health.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 14:40:41 PM »
the home visit charge by my vets is £85 and that is before they do anything and I am literally just around the corner!!!
 great idea about the envelope though..... having a plan b ready incase plan a doesn't work. 

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
Good idea, then you know you have all the options covered  :)

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »
Strangely I am in the same situation - vet 2 miles away and I don't drive either. Remember the vets are on the end of a phone and will guide you through what to do in an emergency  :hug: I must admit it does concern me that should something happen my boys may have to suffer a few more minutes pain than if I could drive, but then again there are lots of people who do not live so close to a vet surgery and it would take them some time to get their pets to the vets so maybe they wouldn't - I think you have to try and see the 'flip side' to your situation. Coco could not not be in a more caring, loving home and I know you would get her to the vet as soon as you could should something happen - that is all any of us can do  :hug:
Try not to dwell on what might happen as chances are they won't and also remember that if they do you are more than capable of dealing with it. It may help to have an 'emergency' envelope with some money and phone numbers of the vet and friends/taxi's that you can keep to hand.

Day time of a week day,  Saturday and some of Sunday a taxi is available also my friend across the road will always give me a lift as I care for their cat when they go places but it is in the middle of the night I worry about and our vet always wants you to come up to their surgery. I think I am going to find out how much a call out charge is?

Many years ago my mum had the vet out to her canary (she lived 12 miles from the vets) it wasn't cheap but she didn't mind.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
I drive but the car has refused to start and I live 15 miles from the vet!

So Jijis advice about an emergency envelope very good  :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »
Strangely I am in the same situation - vet 2 miles away and I don't drive either. Remember the vets are on the end of a phone and will guide you through what to do in an emergency  :hug: I must admit it does concern me that should something happen my boys may have to suffer a few more minutes pain than if I could drive, but then again there are lots of people who do not live so close to a vet surgery and it would take them some time to get their pets to the vets so maybe they wouldn't - I think you have to try and see the 'flip side' to your situation. Coco could not not be in a more caring, loving home and I know you would get her to the vet as soon as you could should something happen - that is all any of us can do  :hug:
Try not to dwell on what might happen as chances are they won't and also remember that if they do you are more than capable of dealing with it. It may help to have an 'emergency' envelope with some money and phone numbers of the vet and friends/taxi's that you can keep to hand.

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:03 AM »
Wasn't it Christmas last year that you had to have your beloved Ping PTS? Your being so anxious about Coco over Christmas is thoroughly understandable   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes it was thank you for remembering  :hug:  Every morning and night I say good morning and goodnight to his ashes which are in a pot in the sitting room and touch the pot. :(

I think the worry is centered on not being able to get to the vets in an emergency at odd hours (it is two miles away and I don't drive).

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 22:25:22 PM »
Wasn't it Christmas last year that you had to have your beloved Ping PTS? Your being so anxious about Coco over Christmas is thoroughly understandable   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 19:33:34 PM »
We all worry about our cats but if your cat called Coco is showing no sign of illness, is eating fine and using the tray, stop worrying and enjoy him/her.

If there is a problem get the cat to the vets.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 23:50:01 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
How to stop being obsessed with my cats health.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 19:21:19 PM »
When my other Siamese (Ping) was alive I was obsessed about his health (not that I ignored my other Siamese..........far from it) but now I worry about Coco being poorly. I couldn't look forward to Christmas just incase she was poorly and I couldn't get her to the vet, I can feel my stomach rolling over if I think there is something wrong with her.

Help.

Link to CatChat