Author Topic: not sure  (Read 1817 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: not sure
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 13:22:36 PM »
Sorry to hear about poor Barney, you will miss him so much. And you were not rambling at all by the way!. 

Giving a home to an abandoned cat is always a good idea and the chances of the same tragedy happening again are very very low. However, have you considered getting a couple of indoor cats? 

A few years ago I would have never considered keeping cats indoors and thought it was cruel but having had previous cats poisoned, run over, going missing in the past and knowing the anguish that causes I now have two indoor mogs and I can honestly say they seem totally content, happy, active, healthy and are in the most gorgeous condition. They do have the run of a large bungalow with two conservatories and so have plenty of space and it does take a bit more effort keeping them entertained (hence the suggestion of two as they entertain each other most of the time) but a few run arounds with a da-bird and a laser toy and a couple of cat cubes keeps them active and playing... I have never had such playful cats in fact.

Cashie had always been an indoor cat when I got him at a year old (he is 4 now) but Izzy (3) had been an outdoor girl before going to rescue and has adapted perfectly, she doesn't
even try to get out. They get on so well too it is adorable.   If you could see them you'd see that keeping cats indoors is far from cruel and personally I think they are the happiest cats I have ever had.

All depends on your set up but is worth a thought.

It is going to be a sad Christmas for you all but you sound so lovely and caring, any rescue cat/s will be lucky to come to you and I think you should do it when you feel ready.

Jo X

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
You're right, you won't love another cat like you loved Barney.  But you will love it differently.  They're all unique in some way or other and we all know that all the cats we've loved and lost over the years have their own special places in our hearts. 

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 21:56:15 PM »
thanks, barney came from a rescue, so we would definatley go back there, as at the moment we're swaying more towards a older kitten/ young adult cat so there temperament/personality is known. we were so lucky as we got barney as a kitten and he was such a perfect fit in our family, loved cuddles and coped so well with dd, he only ever scratched her when she'd really pushed the limit (i found her carrying him round the living room wrapped in a blanket) and only a tap to say enough. dh has said we'll go up after pay day in january so we have a bit of time to come to terms with what happened to barney before we get another cat

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 21:33:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about Barney, such a tragedy. RIP, little guy, safe and happy again at the Bridge.  :hug:

I'd be inclined to pay a visit to one or two local rescues and talk to real people about what has happened, how you feel, and whether they have heard any news of similar happenings. They will help you think your way through this hard time, and the potentially life changing decision you're about to make.

If you take your daughter, too, the rescue can meet her and assess what sort of cat would suit your family and lifestyle, so you will me matched up to the perfect pet rather than taking pot luck on a new kitten.  :shify:

You probably know how to find your local rescues already, but here's the catchat page tuned to your area for starters  :hug:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/yorksn.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 18:20:52 PM »
Yes it does sound like it and even could have been screen wash cos some have the same ingredient in it.

So sad  :hug: :hug:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 18:16:36 PM »
we have no idea where he got it we dont have it in the house, but barney was a monkey for drinking from puddles so if it was spilt he could have found it that way, there are a lot of local cats that he hung around with and there all fine (ive asked there owners) so guess it was an accident  :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 18:11:23 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Barney  :hug: :hug:

A terrible thing to happen and especially to a cat so young.

Do you have any idea where he may have had access to this?

Feeding both wet and dry food is better for cats but would have had no effect on what happened, dont beat yourself up its not your fault  :hug: :hug:

It must be very hard having to tell everyone what happened but has to be said its just a plain hard thing and you have to grieve yourself which I can underrstand is hard for you. I think children are more accepting and maybe when young get over things quicker.

I think a new cat will be good for all of you but you will need to monitor carefully and dont rush this, after Chrissy sounds like a possible good time. One can never rule out accidents but if someone is deliberately poisoning cats in your area then the police need to have it on record so they can build up a profile. It maybe worth ringing them and asking if any other cats have been reported as being poisoned and ask them to put this on a report and ASK FOR THE NUMBER.

I will put Barney on our Roll of Hounour for the next year,,,,,,,,,they are published mid-Nov on Purrs birthday

RIP Barney taken too young

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
not sure
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 17:58:08 PM »
i know this is very early days but im not sure if we should get another cat. Our beloved barney was put to sleep on friday as he was in end stage kidney faliure due to probable antifreeze poisioning. he was only 2 it was an awful choice to make but i know it had to be made as otherwise he would have suffered, it was just such a shock as he was fit and well on monday. He was best friends with our three year old daughter, they really loved each other a lot and she is struggling so much at the moment. she's not sleeping, sits crying over his picture and is so unhappy. dh asked her yesterday why shes not sleeping/waking crying and she said its because she so sad about barney, so he's promised her another cat/kitten after xmas. i know she needs to grieve, but has been happier since he said this, thing is im not sure i'll be ready to have another one. i was on my own when the vet told me what barneys blood results meant for him and i had to make the choice on my own as dh was at work, i stayed with him till he went and then had to come home and tell dd that barney had died as she asked where he was, im traumatised and heart broken. i have so many questions in my head that im not sleeping and my heart hurts so much, im scared that it could happen again if we got another, or something else could happen. barney was one in a million(everyone who met him said so) what if i dont love another like him, did anything we did contribute to his illness we fed him dry food would he have survived if we had fed him wet food.
I'm so sorry for the rambling xx

Link to CatChat