Author Topic: Axa - 70% premium increase - Renewal premiums based on claims - confirmed  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Axa - 70% premium increase - Renewal premiums based on claims - confirmed
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 16:53:03 PM »
Yes it was AXA.

£100 is just crazy!

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 15:54:05 PM »
I tested Gill's theory out with two fictitious cats on Petplan and it made no difference whatsoever with the premium whether under or over one.    So I don't know Gill if it was with a specific insurer that you found this????
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 15:40:55 PM »
Geoffrey's went up by over £100 on the renewal I've just had through - despite not claiming on that policy since I've had it (2 years now), and yet Milly's only went up £30 (with a £15 reduction in excess) and she had a £750 claim paid out just a month or so ago  :Crazy:  I asked if I could change the level of cover on Geoffrey's policy to see if that brought it down and they said yes, but it then gets treated as a new policy not a continuation so they don't take account the previous non-claiming history, and the 10 day exclusion kicks back in again...so it was still a £50 increase on the previous policy.   So without any claims, and being 6 months younger, for the same cover, his policy was coming in at over £80 more than Milly's!

Their loss, I've cancelled Geoffrey's and bought a new policy with a different insurer (no pre-existing conditions so the lack of continuity doesn't matter) back at the original price of last year's...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 15:42:44 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »
Some of us get much older than that  :-[ :shy: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »
Some are still daft as a brush at 2 years old  :innocent:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 23:41:53 PM »

Silly me :innocent: I didnt know under 1 is more expensive but why!

Its the same with cats as with humans Pav, they are more vulnerable to illness when very young or very old.  Also any inborn problems will show up in the first year and of course they're all daft as a brush at that age so pose an increased risk of accidental injury.

Thank you Carol.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 23:01:55 PM »

Its the same with cats as with humans Pav, they are more vulnerable to illness when very young or very old.  Also any inborn problems will show up in the first year and of course they're all daft as a brush at that age so pose an increased risk of accidental injury.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 22:23:26 PM »
No Pav, its more expensive under a year, which is why I waited until Lupin was one year old.............totally crazy  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Cos he was a pedigree he cost about £10 plus now upto £12 in a year!

Now it make sense cos i got a quote from M&S for her and it was about £25 p/m and i thought its gone up quite a bit since 08/09 when i had Phoebe insured age 8 for under £10 a month :shocked:

Kate i am not sure if it includes the cat proof gd, but then there is a chance the cat gets out some how and if there is a RTA then they can refuse to pay, but then an indoor only can get out by accident so not sure!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 21:30:31 PM »
I cant remember how much the quotes were for and it was at least 50% more.

Lupin was 10 months at the time and because they just use the month rather than the date of birth was able insure him on 1 Aug instead of 21 Aug lol

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 19:31:57 PM »
when I insured Keshet & Kgosi earlier this year John Lewis were roughly £15 a month more than Petplan for the same cover.      It was £32 per month from PP and about £48 from JL! 

thats interesting what you say Gill about under 1's

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 18:22:57 PM »
glad to hear at least one insurer is willing to offer a discount for indoor only cats - I wonder if that includes catproofed gardens too

makes sense because costs from an RTA can be ruled out, and orthopaedics can be very expensive
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 17:53:37 PM »
No Pav, its more expensive under a year, which is why I waited until Lupin was one year old.............totally crazy  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Cos he was a pedigree he cost about £10 plus now upto £12 in a year!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 17:14:14 PM »
I just went on Petplan site and got a quote for Felicity which is 8 months old and got £26 P/M covered for life or £12.15 esential !
Axa is not giving me quote on line?
So i insured her with John Lewis £14.99 p/m  with £60 Excess , it would have been £1.40 cheaper per month if she was an indoor cat only.

I thought Felicity being under a year old her insurance would be much cheaper :-:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 16:13:38 PM »
This must be a recent change? Fred and Ginger's renewal came through in October, Fred went from about £11 to £13. He has no claims history as his CRF started within the 2 week no claim period so we pay for this ourselves and the insurance company have no knowledge of this illness on their records. I have kept him insured because he thinks he is Indianna Jones and I have no doubt he will do himself a mischief at some point! Ginger has gone from £10 to £12 a month which is not much of a hike seeing as they paid out about £1,000 (probably a bit more) for all her tests and whatnot relating to her CRF, as she developed her symptoms a few months after Fred. Maybe they are in the process of changing to this new renewal system?
Benji is nearly £20 a month but we have decided to keep him insured as they have paid for 2 dentals and I think he will need one more to remove his last remaining canine tooth this year, although I am not looking forward to his renewal in February. (Although Benji's insurance took a massive hike when we moved from Ashford, Kent to Basildon, Essex earlier this year...which suggests they are using both area and claim history??)
All very odd and the only cat that I could look around for a cheaper quote for is Fred, the other 2 are stuck with AXA now they have had claims...
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 15:23:04 PM »
How much are Petplan increasing policys a year Sheila?

Thats a lot for those two.

I am paying roughly

Sasa £14 aged 14
Misa £17 aged 11
Lupin £12 a pedigree aged 2

So about £44  a month and am saving £40 for the slush fund for excesses and £100 pm to pay off Napoleons bill and this is killing me!

Earlier this year I got quotes for Misa and none were even close and many refused to quote for him cos he was over 8 or 9 years old. None of mine have pre-existing conditions. I was looking for equivalent terms and conditions.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 15:00:31 PM »
Its a hard decision to pull away from insurance, I now only have two insured, my accident prone Tufty and the well-hard Theo who will almost certainly end up an amputee due to several significant injuries in one leg.

Both lads are on the gold level plans with ongoing lifetime cover, so are weighted a little heavier but I currently pay £18.40 (per month) for Tufty, aged 3 on Petplan and £15.39  for Theo aged 6 with Animal Friends, (crikey that's £33.79 in total per month!) so obviously to insure the whole bunch would be prohibitive.
Instead I salt away what I can from my wages and have a slush fund which so far (touch wood) has been enough to keep the remaining six beasties healthy and on balance I'm in the black over what I would have paid out in premiums plus the excess at £85 for each condition treated every year.  :shocked:

Sadly with Four of my eight now over 12 years old, Sly with his wobblie legz and my little old FIV Chubster as well, I'm anticipating a costly few years ahead.

Not for the faint hearted this cat owning business. However, the boys say "We're worth it" and I must admit to drawing some comfort from having Tufty and Theo covered, as they would indeed have threatened the bank a couple of years ago with their treatments.  :shucks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 14:05:09 PM »
What a  :censored: rip off and now at least we have part of the truth but it leaves them open to just add huge percentages on no matter what the claim.

So now the telling will be in the eating cos Sasa had a claim just after the renewal and if Lupin and Misa dont have a claim since last renewal there should be very little increase  next time. This was Misas first claim ever before last renewal and the insuranve jumped by 50%. Sasa has never had a claim until just after the renewal.

However back before all of this happened they doubled Napoleon and Duchas insurance without claims and I cancelled cos couldnt afford it, so wish they would have had to fork out £3k for Napoleon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does seem that AXA are making a fool out of everyone and the vets are not helping cos once they know you have insurance they just do as many tests as possible.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 13:41:49 PM »
Did she mention whether Bobby is the claimant, or you? ....I wonder if the premiums on your other cats will also go up  :shify:

I never asked that specifically Sheila but it won't affect policies for our others as I've cancelled them all.  She did say something along the lines of "oh I see there have been 4 claims for him" so it may depend on claims per policy rather that policy holder but I'm just guessing. 

.... it may well not pay to make a claim for a small amount over the excess if that will keep premiums down

Much would depend on whether it is based on actual number of claims or the amount claimed.  It would however have been nice to know. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
I'm gald they've owned up at last - and it does make a difference, because it may well not pay to make a claim for a small amount over the excess if that will keep premiums down
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Axa - 70% premium increase - Renewal premiums based on claims - confirmed
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
It seems to have been established that claims do make a difference - both my old boys went up 100% the year I had put through the first claims for them when they were 14.

By contrast Nina (who is 4) actually went down. This year she has increased by 60p a month so is now 6.90 a month having never had a claim.

At least they are owning up to it now!

Very frustrating though xxx
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
Did she mention whether Bobby is the claimant, or you?

I wonder if the premiums on your other cats will also go up  :shify:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 08:36:34 AM »
I just spoke to Angie at Axa.  She confirmed that underwriters now say renewal premiums must take into account claims history.

"Recent change" although she was unable to say when from.  Would have been nice to be informed of change.

Perhaps it is somewhere in recently changed booklet.  Don't have time to look.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Axa - 70% premium increase - Blimey O'Reilly!
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 23:56:37 PM »
Me too  :innocent:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 21:58:29 PM »
Wish I could wipe 10 years off my age that quick  :heeee heeee:  :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 18:48:01 PM »
SORRY!!!

I must learn to type before Amber kills me! Shes 15  :-[ :-[ :-[

love
Tab

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 18:35:20 PM »
I'm expecting Mosi's renewal in the post any day now (should be here by now but I expect the xmas post is holding it up) and I am nervous!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 14:50:42 PM »
Wise words back!  :hug: Well maybe in Noni's case you could reinstate the direct debit (as long as you haven't missed a payment they will never know you cancelled it  :naughty: ) until you know that it's nothing vet-visitable, you can always cancel hers next month  :sneaky:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 14:36:12 PM »
Wise words Helen  :hug:  I did think about retaining the other policies until such a time as the renewal premium hiked upwards Helen and that may prove to have been the best course.

Time will tell that's for sure  :scared:

We have however been dithering about the whole subject of insurance for such a long time now and we really do have a rather nice pot built up for them and will continue to add to it. 

Of course Noni is already making me wonder if I should have thrown my toys out the pram quite so quickly as she has a runny bum today and has been off her food for 24 hours  :( 

I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say but renewal docs shows Bobby is neutered.  It doesn't mention whether chipped or not but am almost positive they have his chip details.

What I am wondering is whether there have been any changes in the way they come up with renewal quotes as the latest booklet detailing policy rules is dated last August.  I certainly haven't read it through cover to cover .......... forgive the pun  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 14:23:08 PM »
Yikes, that's quite a rise. As a two-cat household that's something I would just have to suck up but can see how it's just not sustainable for the larger cat households  :shy: I wonder though whether cancelling the DD's might be a bit hasty though Rosella?  :hug: If only Bobby's premium rose by such an amount and the others remained roughly static would you be better off sticking with them until such time that they do go up by too much of a %? Do they have Bobby's neutered and chipped status correct? When I got last years renewal I spotted they had them down as un-neutered and un-chipped whereas I'm sure in previous years they had the correct status so rang up and the premium went down considerably.

The strange thing is I have two 'identical' cats in that they are both male, same age, same postcode, have been insured for the same length of time and although I'd claimed for Riley and not Lu their premiums rose by the same amount, can't remember how much but think it was literally a few pounds over the whole year so in my case it was true that the claims had no effect.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
Wow 25 thats a fantastic age well done Amber  ;D

Misa is only 11 but his premiium went up to over £17 this year.

And Sasa who is 14 is still about £14 but the claim went in later  :shify:

I have never believed that postcode thing as I live rurally and no other cats around

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »
Oh dear Ambers due for renewal with axa soon and as shes 25 Im already paying nearly £16 a month and have never claimed
Sadly a lot of the reasons for price increase is by postcode regardless of if the cat goes out or not.
Good luck speaking to them
love
Tab

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 19:38:34 PM »
I agree that it MUST be Bobby's flu that has hiked up the premium regardless of what they say and it's so unfair.  I HATE insurers, they can do anything they want and you are completely at their mercy if you want the peace of mind our knowing you are covered should your pet fall ill or have an accident.

I opted not to insure my two and know I must have spent a lot of money with the vets this year because they've sent me a Christmas card. :rofl:  The last time that happened was in 2002 when Tiny had difficult-to-conrol hyperthyroidism.  :-:  I think overall I have saved money but am only able to follow this course because I'm in the fortunate postion of knowing I can pay should the worst happen, and I realise that I'm taking a chance.

Good luck with fighting this Rosella.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »
Yes agree with that sting cazzer

Will be very interested in your case to the omnbudsman Rosella cos as you say this is really an axa rip off and you should also be getting a discount on all your policys except one!

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 11:55:23 AM »
In Karlo's first year [last year] Petplan paid out nearly £5000 for him yet his premiums went up a couple of pennies last year, so no I don't believe that claims have any effects on their premiums.     In fact Sassie & Oska I was paying exactly the same premium for them and until last year I had never claimed for Sassie.       I've just had his and Kaisa's renewal through this morning and its gone up from £24.47 to £26.37 so less than a pound a cat.    NB they are both NFCs so premium higher than for a DSH I believe

Where Petplan sting you a bit is when they ask for excess plus 20% of treatment cost when paying out for elderly cats 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
I am  not pleased.  I have just gone on to Axa site and asked for a quote keying in Bobby's details using the name "Testie".

So ............. my annual renewal premium is £165.82 on Bobby's policy whereas "Testie's" annual quote is £88.52 so I agree Gill, their renewal premiums simply must take into account claims for the individual cat.  What I do not understand is why they are not open about it  :-:  I am going to send this quote with my cancellation letter and seek a proper explanation.  I may well take this to the Financial Ombudsman if they do not offer a proper explanation.

I took this up with them when the enormous hike came through for Billy a couple of years back and they "explained" that difference between quote on website at that time and renewal premium was due to:

- web quote not being for a full year as any illness within first 14 days of new policy is not covered and
- renewal quote took into account general claims within our area (West Midlands) in a different 30 day period to the web quote

They can hardly say the same with the above figures as the difference is just far too large :-:

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and ring them on Monday in case they have made a mistake but I've checked the renewal quote and all Bobby's info is correct.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
I pay AXA £16.81 a month for 10 year old Tiffany and 5 year old Tosker, ( taken out last June, when uninsured Trigger was first diagnosed with HyperT)  and they both have the best cover available for their ages

I haven't claimed for either of them and despite what AXA say, I can't believe claims are not a factor - surely in all health insurance possible ongoing problems are going to hike up the premiums more than any other factor - they certainly do when taking out the policy, so it just doesn't make sense to claim they don't further down the line

Robert A. Heinlein:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
I posted about this in October when my renewals came in and if they say this is not claim related they are lying!

The sad fact of the mattter is that no other company provides the equivalent cover any cheaper and a lot provider less cover more expensively.

I had 4 cats including two peds who were very costly to insure and two years ago I cancelled their insurance with axa

Napoleon went to the bridge in May 2011 and due to mt cancellation of his insurance his final vet bill was nearly £3000 but my lovely vet reduced this to £2000 which I am still paying off at £100pm.

Ducha his brother went to the bridge in Aug 12 and his post canc treatment cost nearly £1000

I had been saving £40pm plus £500 in the slush fund to start but this was eaten up immediately by Ducha breaking his foot.

I vowed that I would not cancel the insurance again cos just cant afford those uninsured bills but am convinced that the vets are taking advantage of insurance to do every test available to make big claims, even my lovely vet.

I was horrified at the vet bill for Misa earlier this year after it seemed he had something stuck in his nose or close, nothing was but after the investigations the bill was about £500 and each time its £75 excess.

I dont know the answer to any of this except dont have cats and no wonder there are so many sick cats wandering around as strays cos people are finding they cant afford the vet bills and there are no rescues with spaces.

This makes me so very sad and pensioners imparticulary are at risk.

If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
wow that is some hike.     I only have Ginger insured with them [still going on well  :evillaugh: although looking a tad older these days].         He is over 8 and I pay about the same for him as you would of done for a 19 month old  :Crazy:         Ginger has lymphoma as well so they pay out quite a bit.

hate to think then how much his premium will go up in Feb.     

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Axa - 70% premium increase - Renewal premiums based on claims - confirmed
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »
........... and no; I ain't talking about for a cat reaching a particular age; we are talking about for Bobby Bob Bob  :-:  Our laddo is only 19 months old.

Premium currently £8.12 per month and Axa are looking for £13.82 per month from January  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

I have been told by Axa before that individual claims do not affect premiums for individual cats.  Increases are based on claims generally in a particular area but age is naturally taken into account, so they say but I have asked for confirmation.  Until this morning 7 of our 8 cats were insured with Axa, Billy being the only one not covered as he is the eldest although he will only be 9 years old next April.

Until I cancelled all direct debits today, we were paying Axa £55 per month.  With increases of 70% seemingly on the cards we would be looking at coming up to £100 per month soon which we can no longer justify.  We have been putting £100 per month to one side for some time now and have built up a nice little cat fund and will continue to pay into it at same rate but it has to be "bye bye Axa".  It would be different if we had fewer cats but heavens above 70% is some hike  :shocked:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:33:27 AM by Rosella moggy »

Link to CatChat