Author Topic: Taking my baby for a manicure!  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lucky (also Tiger and Gypsy RIP)
Re: Taking my baby for a manicure!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 21:51:32 PM »
Cheers Tab. Lucky was quite smoochy when I got her home, so she's obviously forgiven me!  ;D
Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 21:49:43 PM »
I'm going to have to start clipping Trigger's claws soon - while he has had regular blood tests for HyperT I have been able to get it done at the vets, but I can't justify the expense any more

I like your idea of doing just a couple at a time, Maryas - I can get him on the bed, and he probably won't resist much anyway - I'm just frightened of hurting him, rather than of him hurting me
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 21:40:26 PM »
Amber has been known to scream as if Im cutting her toes off but when I let her go she purrs and rubs her face against the clippers so I grab her again  :naughty:

Cat lover be thankful youre a good cat mommy and Lucky isnt like Amber who if I get stressed she gets stress cystitis which doesnt make me feel better

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 21:30:40 PM »
I think for all the worry and stress cats give us, it is more than repaid by the joy of having them in our lives. We are so fortunate that they let us share their lives with them.

I still miss my Gypsy-puss 12 years after she departed for the Rainbow Bridge. Although she was my soulmate, I can't believe I waited 12 years to get another cat. Even though Gypsy can never be replaced, Lucky has made a place in my heart. She is a rescue cat from Battersea and had been back and forth from there 3 times in 2 years. She is 14, had her thyroid removed as well as some of her teeth. All I can do is try and make whatever time she has left as happy as possible. I may not always get it right, but it won't be through lack of trying!

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 19:58:22 PM »
Cheers Gill! God, if I get stressed having her claws clipped, goodness knows what I'll be like if she has anything seriously wrong with her - I think I would need an injection to keep me calm and sedated!  :-[

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 19:55:59 PM »
My Bonnie's indoor and she doesn't like being picked up either, so I can sympathise with you 100%.

I get about 2 - 3 claws trimmed a day  :rofl: - I wait until she is laid on my bed and then I go rub her belly with one hand and sneakily trim with the other hand - after 2 or 3 claws she realises and I have to wait until the day after.

I used to use large toe nail clippers until I found some pet scissors on Ebay, they are terrific.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Dog-Cat-Nail-Care-Cutter-Scissor-Clipper-Claw-Grooming-Trimmer-Groomer-brv-/251166486048?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3a7ab06e20

Good luck.
Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 19:42:02 PM »
I didnt like to say that Lupin did not like his claws clipped and the vet only managed to do all but one! From that point on it was growl, hiss , swipe and we had to call it a day.....sigh

She will be fine from now............................ummmmmmm till next time  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 18:37:21 PM »
Well, I got her down to the vets OK. She really didn't like having her claws clipped! She was yowling all the way in the cat carrier - it was fortunate I'd booked a cab to take us there, at least we got to the vets quickly. I think I felt just as stressed as Lucky, if not more so.

I hate seeing her in discomfort, plus I'm also a worrier!  ;D We're home now, and Lucky seems OK; she went straight to her food bowl and polished off the rest of her food. I went straight to my fags and had a stiff drink! For medicinal purposes of course!  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 13:53:48 PM »
:luck: The plus side of going to the vets is that she can get a once over while she's there but it really is very easy to do at home. I have clippers similar to these.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/HB0160/ancol-cat-nail-clipper

I have one cat that will tolerate it with no issues and one that won't. The one that doesn't allow it thrashes, writhes and wails like he's being murdered... unless I pour a very large pile of dreamies down for him and then he doesn't even notice that it's being done and I can have all four paws done in less time than it takes him to eat 30 dreameis!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 13:25:31 PM »
I do Ambers claws by sitting on the settee and putting her between me and the cushions. Then again Amber is rather odd if I pick the clippers up she comes running and jumps up  :evillaugh:

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »
Thanks Gill and Sheila - once I get Lucky in the carrier, she should be OK, although she does mewl quite a bit.  It makes you feel so guilty, but you know you have to do it for their own good.

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
Lucky's front claws get stuck on her scratching post sometimes, and I have to help her unhook them! She meows at me as if to say 'what do you think you're doing?'! I do explain to her that I'm trying to help her, but I'm not sure she appreciates it!

Her back claws seem to be quite long as well.  As there is only me, it could be a bit tricky trying to hold her in position whilst I trim them. Lucky doesn't mind being stroked and kissed, but she isn't too fond of being picked up, so I don't think she'll appreciate being held down!  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »
Loads of luck  ;D ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Good luck!

Get the nurse to show you how to do it, in fact they might let you have a practice while you're there, so next time you can nip them off yourself and save the hassle of a vet visit.

My lot manage to keep their front claws quite nice
 :scratch:  :rofl:

but the oldies need their back ones clipped quite often, and my vet was quite happy to give me some pointers - including how to stand and what angle to approach the cat etc. but I still have to take Chubby to the nurse because his claws don't de-husk themselves and grow so thick they need beak clippers to get them off!

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
Taking my baby for a manicure!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »
I'm taking my Lucky to the vets tonight to have her claws trimmed.  She's an indoor cat, so her claws don't get as worn down as when they go outside.

She's going to love me, putting her in her cat carrier and taking her to the dreaded vet! ;D

I'll try explaining that the nurse will give her a nice manicure, but I don't think that will do the trick!  ;D  Wish me luck!  ;D

Link to CatChat