Author Topic: Taking a cat on a virgin train?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Taking a cat on a virgin train?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 14:24:51 PM »
Rae, if you've got transport as far as Brum, I could possibly help with the next bit.

Only thing is I'm due to have some minor surgery on Wednesday which means I won't be driving anywhere for a week or so afterwards, although my BF might be happy to drive me next week-end (we're due to be in Nuneaton).

Do keep me in the loop, if I/we can help I will, OK?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Taking a cat on a virgin train?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 20:33:35 PM »
Sorry I've replied on the other thread then saw this! I've been lucky and all my howlers have calmed down after about ten miles and just settle down.

They are kittens so they might be more likely to settle down.

Hope you can sort something out. My very generous friend drove me to Newcastle (over 100 miles) for just petrol money (which she didn't then take!) so perhaps you have a fellow crazy cat loving friend who could drive if your worried?
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 19:21:49 PM »
Agree that it depends how they travel and my late cat Kocka used to enjoy trains, the worst problem is if the do a big pongy one  :-[ :-[

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 18:43:21 PM »
Hello Rae

I used to travel between Birmingham and London a lot and I have occasionally seen cats in carriers on the train. 

I think what you need to consider is whether these two cats are good travellers or "howlers".  I drove my late boy Woody from London when I moved to Wales and he howled non-stop from Maida Vale to Warwick Services - he howled even on short taxi journeys to the vet.  I wouldn't have contemplated travelling by train with him!   

Is there any way the foster carer could take these two on a short-ish journey locally to see how they travel?  If it doesn't bother them then the train could be an option - it does have the advantage of being quick (less than 90 minutes station to station) and once on the train I don't think they'd notice any difference between it and a car.  I'd suggest you sit in the end carriage so that you have minimal disturbance from people passing by, avoid peak travel times and either have someone pick you up in a car from Euston or budget for a taxi to get you home.

Good Luck  :)

Offline Raeeeeeeeeee

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Church, plus many other animals
Taking a cat on a virgin train?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 18:17:23 PM »
I want to adopt two kitties from Cheshire, but I live in London. Their foster carer volunteered to drive as far as Birmingham and I wondered about getting a virgin train there and back with them.
Has anyone had any experience of taking cats on trains? is it particularly distressing for them? virgin trains are quite a smooth ride.

Link to CatChat