Author Topic: I know people care for cats differently, but.....  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
  • Solitaire - our furbaby :)
  • Slave to: Mrs Solitaire Meow & Mr Connery Sir Purrs-Alot (formally known as Milo)
I know people care for cats differently, but.....
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
Yes it might be easier to care less, I wonder that sometimes. But then I think about what I would miss out on, events, joy, the feeling when positive things happen to what/who I care about.

Plus (most importantly) I don't think I'd like the person I'd be if I didn't care as much.

What we need is more ppl to care more. You're doing a great job and its nice knowing ppl like you are out there caring. :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: I know people care for cats differently, but.....
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 23:16:57 PM »
Heather, I did try the "he's going to get really hurt because his hormones are telling him to fight" approach. I even posted pictures of a cat from Blackpool Cats in Care that I got sent when he first came in as an entire stray on FB as they were on my friends list briefly. (For the sole purpose of showing them what can happen to unneutered cats if I'm honest. :shy: ) The poor boy was such a mess.

Fred, thank you. Sometimes it would definitely be easier not to care so much. And SamMewl, I agree. I actually have a group on FB about trying to get spaying and neutering made a compulsory part of cat care.....can but try.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 21:37:06 PM »
You could always mention that being a handsome pedigree cat( :evillaugh:) somebody might steal him for breeding............ if they have anyfeelings for him might encourage them to get him done? :naughty:

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 17:29:10 PM »
the new(ish) 'duty of care' law should be helping in these type of situations. (and i want neutering to be a duty of care for all cats with people paying (a lot) to register their cats as 'breeders' but anyway moving along....) the problem is i don't see it ever being enforced. the police do not consider it their concern and RSPCA do not have the resources. I found out recently aswell that any call to them about cruelty or neglect goes to a call centre. a bunch of people in a room with a ticksheet who were probably dealing with car insurance last week.

only glad that there are people like you out there that compensate for the lack of care of others. :hug:
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mrs Solitaire Meow & Mr Connery Sir Purrs-Alot (formally known as Milo)
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 16:16:46 PM »
:'( so unfair. Sorry about the useless shelter idea but glad you've found us as a useful place to rant, rant away :hug:

Sending you virtual Furbaby strength :)

Sounds like you're doing all you can, just hope the message gets through, even if its only a tiny bit of the message, it'll be better than non.

Keep strong and remember you're doing what you can, which is all you can do <3
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 16:17:16 PM by Fred »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 15:09:47 PM »
CP have the same "moral grey area" as me in that if it comes back they've assisted a neuter that was on a cat that didn't live here they could be sued. (I'm informed it's currently happening to our branch now by an insider. :-: )

I can't put a shelter out because the front of my house is on a pavement and the back garden is, as I said, protected by my cats. They are not happy about sharing with any more cats than they already do....(There are four shelters, a shed with a cat flap and an outhouse for our lot. Why that's not enough to share with unfortunates when they can get in the house as well I've no idea. ;) )

I just spoke to the neighbours and asked if I could put a shelter down the side of their house because they're an end terrace. He said "put whatever you want down there." That's an option if necessary....

I wish people would stop seeing animals as possessions too, and recognise when they take them on they have thoughts and needs..... :tired:

Thanks Fred. And Heather too. ;) I feel like there MAY be a way to help after all. It's helped talking to like minded people. And you're right Fred, my lot will always come first no matter how upsetting I find the situation.

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »
That's a great idea heather, both cats protection and PayPal, that way the toms owner might be convinced but only neuter with their knowledge, sad I know :( but cp is a great idea. I'd donate. Could be a new project, helping local cats and their guardians...

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 12:10:52 PM »
:'( it upsets me too, our new fella finally moved in because, like your visitors, he had been visiting for a long time, asking for food and shelter. I don't understand why families take in furbabies of any kind and treat them as possessions, sometimes worse.

It's a really hard place to be, I have now got an outside cat shelter for any cat who needs it but even they aren't cheap, unless you make your own, which is simple to do if you have the health, strength, resources, time. For me buying was the best way to go, but still the cost was hard to find but I think is worth it if it helps.

I understand your quandary with neutering, because he is a pedigree, and for you, the legal implications.  I know that it may cause concern and problems but you may just have to keep reporting them to the RSPCA. Did they not discuss neutering? Do you know what the outcome was from your first report?

I found out when Solitaire was shot the legal slant against cats and their guardians, we were told in the eyes of the law cats are legal property and if harmed the only recourse is a claim for criminal damage, and only for the cost of repair or the original cost of purchase,  >:( (Nothing would be done, I'd have to take the person to small claims but the police wouldn't help in identifying them, they'd have to own up, unless there was shown to be lots and lots of cats shot in the area then the police might get involved!)

if you neutered him you could be charged with criminal damage and possibly loss of income if they could show their intent to breed. Instead of you being shown to of helped the poor Tom! If you and your friend were found to of taken him in you would also be put in a position to be charged with theft.

Saying she used to be a farm cat is not an excuse either.

My heart goes out to you, I understand your concerns, but you can only do so much and mustn't put your family at risk through being too kind, won't stop your worries I know but your babies come first and you can only do so much to help, continue to be a kind and a safe place, do what you can until you have no choice but to intervene with stronger measures.

Do you know if either cat has ever been registered with a vet? If so speak with the vet, they might be able to approach in such a way as to appear as if they're just doing some awareness raising. I had concerns over a tom and asked my vet to check if he was on their books, no data confidentiality breach, just a yes/no, with this tom it was no, he hasn't been registered. If he had I Wouldn't of been given any info, but all I wanted was  yes/no answer.

Is he fighting and hurting any of your babies? Just a thought, because if he is you might have a legal way in as recourse in protecting your family. It might or might not work, I don't know, but if legally cats are property and damages can be sort if harmed, makes me wonder how it applies regarding someone else's property (cat) harming yours?

:hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
Would your local Cat Protection League not be able to help? Or maybe you could set up a paypal account, I'm sure if a few of us on here donated it would cover the costs? I would be happy to contribute ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »
Heather, this may sound awful....but who will pay for this? I can get the voucher but I'd still have to pay towards costs. And if you ask a vet to keep a cat overnight, they usually charge. With five cats of my own and various other small animals to care for on a low income, I simply can't afford it. I know  that sounds horrible but it's a fact. If I did that, then I'd be precarious with the budget for my own animals and they shouldn't suffer because other people are inept at looking after their animals.

I HAVE however got a friend who I'm going to approach about keeping him in overnight - if that's a possibility then maybe I could sell something to raise the outstanding amount that would be left with the use of a voucher. (whispers...) And maybe I should plead ignorance about him being a pedigree. :innocent:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
He will probably end up hit by a car if he is off on the hunt for a lady friend, especially if out of night! :(  I would get a "friend" to take him to a vets out of the area and ask if you could leave him there the day before the op?  If the owner doesn't care enough for him to keep him in at night, they probably won't even notice his pods are missing >:(
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:39:45 AM by heather sullivan »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
Heather, with one of them being pedigree it throws up all manner of complications.....I'm sure they'll have a VERY strong suspicion it was me, seeing as I have a "spay and neuter" sticker in my window and have spoken to them about it. Also, where would I put him overnight with five cats in a two bed terrace? One of my males currently HATES the Bengal because presumably he's entire and marking everywhere so it's not plausible to let him in. :( If I did find somewhere to "hoard" him while he got the op done and they figured out it was me, they can start legal proceedings against me; I kid you not. :tired:

He was outside our door in the rain last night at 10 in the evening and reappeared at 8 this morning. Thing the poor lad was locked out all night. :( At least the female can get in her home..... :scared:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 22:17:54 PM »
Its not fair on the cats to not neuter them >: >:( I would be tempted to catnap them, whisk them off to the vets for the needful, 1 at a time and then release them again :evillaugh:. Owners prob wouldnt even notice :P

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 19:48:59 PM »
I can't not help when I see cats being looked after like this. It's far from enough in my opinion....but maybe I'm wrong.  :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 13:48:06 PM »
You are very kind and so makes me angry when you are willing to help and they cant take the time even to think about this  :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 13:33:45 PM »
Thanks Gill. The annoying part is, with regards to the neutering issue I even offered to get a voucher in my name via the local CP as I'm eligible; it would have cost them the princely sum of £15 to ensure their boy was more than likely involved in less fights. No response to the offer. >:(

The female has access to her home, but her owner is out and about a LOT and I don't think he remembers to leave food down when he goes off on his jaunts. Because of this I'm purchasing a £4 plastic biscuit feeder to give "her" for Christmas. ;) It might help, you never know.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Just dont know what to say JS but so agree with all you have said in Ateam and here.

Suspect this is going to become more of a problem as costs go up at vets and they dont think about how much care a cat needs.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »
Thanks Dawn. I literally feel sick because I don't know what to do for the best. I've tried to reason with the owners or intimate things. (ie: that the owner of the female gets her checked for a chip and spay...) But I'm getting nowhere.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »
tbh in my family putting down food is considered cat care - its a huge problem for me as you can imagine, i know exactly how you feel  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
I have to say this because I'm so angry.

There are two cats that visit us for food and attention. Both cats have homes already, and in the beginning we did try to dissuade this behaviour and failed.

One of them is a former farm cat. Female, a little unpredictable but smart. (I've seen her cross the road, squat over a drain, pee, and then cross back over again. Bless her.) I have asked the owner if she's spayed and chipped - don't know and don't know...because she "was a farm cat." :tired: He seems very fond of her but leaves her pretty much to her own devices entirely.

The other is a full pedigree Bengal. He is unneutered and has started coming looking more and more beat up. It's heartbreaking to see and taking the only legal avenue I could out of concern I called the helpline for the RSPCA. I didn't really want to but had tried to approach the owners regarding neutering and been met with a stony silence. He's a lovely character, friendly and cheeky, and we're finding it more and more difficult to deal with.

Why do people take on cats if this is what they've planned for them? I am having serious trouble understanding the situation and needed to let off steam in a place I knew people would understand. I don't know what else we can do..... :(

Link to CatChat