Author Topic: Cat Christmas plans question  (Read 2167 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Cat Christmas plans question
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 17:42:24 PM »
Just seen this - so glad you are thinking so much about how she will feel at Christmas bless you  :hug:

As it's not far you could rtry her out and then take her back home if she doesn't settle.

One thing I will say though is that if you do leave her at home make sure the heating is on  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 17:22:28 PM »
I hope you, oh and Millie have a great time at Christmas and that its just purrrrrrrrrrrfect for all your family  ;D ;D ;D

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 17:16:35 PM »
Hi, thanks for all your advice :)
I've decided we are going to take Millie now. If we don't try it we will never know! And there is a lot of surprise Christmas presents this year and I want to see the hubby face when he opens his and so does my mum etc so that's how the idea came about! So we will be taking her blanket and her fairy. I've got her a pink snowflake collar too for Xmas day :)
My mum has also promised Millie down the phone a turkey dinner with pigs in blankets!! Lucky Millie!!

Really excited now and if all is well (touch wood!) we will be staying over till Boxing Day

It's going to be the best Xmas with her there, my mums house is much bigger than ours so it makes sense to go there and she does the best dinner too :) but with Millie there it will make me so happy and I won't keep thinking about her on her own in the house

Thanks again everyone :) so excited!

Merry Christmas xxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 17:10:00 PM »
I think you should try taking her with you, if it doesnt work 7 mins drive to get her home iss not far and assume that while you are away you would have to keep going back to feed her and do her tray?

Just remember to take her things with you and her, so she has familiar stuff around as well as you  ;D ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 16:54:49 PM »
our amber is a real daddys girl, she would be happy with oh whereever they were, sounds like millie would probably like being with you if she is happy with the dog

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 13:26:04 PM »
Hi tiggysmum,
The drive is a bout 6/7 minutes and its just our family, mum dad sister and angel the dog :)
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Cat Christmas plans question
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 13:22:57 PM »
I'm normally of the 'leave them at home, they'll be absolutely fine' camp but it sounds like Millie is very familiar with both the house you'll be going to and the people. Roughly how long is the journey? Also will there be loads of people there? I think if it's a short journey and there's not going to be tons of people there then I'd consider taking her.

That said I'm sure she'd be absolutely fine if she was home alone, she won't know it's Xmas day and from my experience (of installing a remote camera when I started leaving my kittens all day) they really do spend most of the day asleep when their humans are not there!

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
Millie and angel are like the babies in the family so they get bought presents!! Mill had 7 last year!!! Mayb that doesn't sound loads but by the 4th one she was looking a bit bored and wanted the treats from the first present!!
Millie spends approx 5 hours in her own a day and the rest of the time is with me/John or us both. I was made redundant last year and when I found another job she messed everywhere as I wasn't with her all day, I don't want her to be lonely  usually when we go on Xmas day we go at the evening and come bk late morning but this Xmas will be different cuz we are out all day on Xmas eve and then will be at mums on Xmas day past 4 as well prob have dinner at 2 so it seems a lot longer???
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
Hi Susanne

It's been nearly 4 years but she sees my family and angel the dog regularly at our house. Millie spends probably 5 hours a day on her own - outside and the rest of the day with me inside. I was made redundant last year and when I found another job she was messing inside everywhere as I wasn't at home with her. She loves attention constantly e.g. Now on the ipad she is trying to paw on it as my attention isn't on her!!
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
How long is it since she's been at your mum's house?  If you feel she'd remember it and the people there she might be fine, but most cats are happier staying at their own home than going somewhere new.  As to whether she'd be lonely on her own - how much time does she spend on her own normally?  ie are you out during the days or is she used to company?

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:45:55 AM »
Hi Susanne,
Thanks for replying. Yeah Millie is very laid back and a very happy cat. Do you think she will be lonely though?
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
I think it depends on Millie's purrsonality.  Some cats would be fine with it but I think most would be more upset with the change of scene that it wouldn't really be worth it for such a short visit.  I did take Jaffa with me to my mum's one xmas but that was for over a week and was because I'd forgotten to book a cattery in time.  He was fine but it did take him a few days to feel comfortable in a new house.  I think Millie might be better off home alone tbh.  You can always make it up to her by having a 2nd xmas day on boxing day  ;D

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
Cat Christmas plans question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
Hi all,
I've got a question about our Christmas plans this year. Usually we go to my mums and stay over Christmas Day to Boxing Day. However this year we are going on Christmas Eve and staying over till Christmas Day. The big question is about out cat Millie.
Usually we would leave Millie with a cat litter tray overnight and she is fine. She's a really good girl with a litter tray.
But I will really miss her not being there on Xmas morning, so could I take her with us for the night? I know she wouldn't be able to go out.
She lived at my mums for 7 years since she was a kitten so knows the house, family and the dog, Angel. Also Millie is a cat that is only for me-her mummy  she does love John but will only entertain him when I'm not around!!
So as long as she is with me she is okay,I know this as when we have been on holidays etc when I lived with my mum. My mum rang me up and said hurry bk kymberley, Millie isn't eating or drinking and is up all night crying I can't take much more!!!
So would I be able to take her? We will be sleeping in my (our-Millie's and mine) old bedroom so it will be familiar for her?
I have friends who leave their cats with family members when they are on holiday and they say their cats are fine? Would one night hurt??
Any advice is greatly appreciated

J&K and Millie
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Link to CatChat