Author Topic: How good is a cats sense of smell? Would they be able to smell through a front door?!  (Read 2096 times)

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
IT is probably because as you said the grass has grown longer ....Id wait till you can cut it down and try to keep the patch short to see if the cat goes off elsewhere? or maybe a windchime or something to distract the cat from doing his business....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Oh yes, definitely cat poo. It's very rude to come especially to my lawn every day for the purpose of having a  :censored: It's not even like he/she sticks to the more sheltered edges, they just sit slap bang in the middle and do their business!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Ummmmmm just a thought and maybe silly but are you sure its a cat and not a dog?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Another poo appeared overnight  >:( Have bought some vinegar and will be watering the lawn tomorrow - at the very least the cats paws will smell of vinegar as punishment for pooing on my lawn  :naughty:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Might just try that Sheila  :sneaky: There was no overnight poo discovered today, maybe he/she is reading Purrs and knows am I on to them  :evillaugh:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
I have heard that vinegar is a good repellant - dilute a bottle of cheap vinegar in a watering can and drizzle it over the grass. Your front will smell of salad but better than poo, mefinks?

OK till it rains I suppose.  :rainin:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Thanks Catty Parent, I'm not anti-chemical at all as long as the chemical isn't 'harmful' to animals - will have a google and see what's available. I'm wondering if doing a scent transfer would encourage the poo-cat even more  :shy: I think having a stake out and catching the cat in the act and trying to frighten him away id probably the best bet, there's not many cats round my way as I'm end of cul-de-sac but I have my suspicions as to who the offender is  :shify:

Offline Catty Parent

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie & Lily (and occasionally Chester & Jasmine!)
There is some repellent that you can buy but I dont know how safe it is to use...I try to stay away from using chemicals that aren't absolutely necessary. You could try transferring scent from your cat to the outside (i.e. rub on the door?) I'm not sure if that would be effective at all against the elements, but if the 'stray' cat smells your cat maybe it will think twice? Could make it redouble its efforts too I suppose.... Alternatively, watch and wait and then fighten it off...is there room for a wind chime outside? the noise might make it think twice about entering your garden...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
 :censored: cats

I spent ages poop-a-scooping the whole garden, a vile task, only to discover a new deposit had been left overnight  >:(

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Too flippin' clever by half, some might say  :sneaky: :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Its likely the stray cat is peeing up the outside of your front door too.  :sick: They'll def sniff this.

Give it a wash down with your usual washing up liquid and see if things return to normal.  :)

You're ever so clever aren't you  :naughty:  :hug:

After my poop-a-scoop session ( :sick:) I washed the front door down and it looks as though a cat may have sprayed the front door, I couldn't smell anything but my sense of smell verges between non-existant and OK so not unusual but there were liquid 'splash marks' at the bottom  :shify:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Its likely the stray cat is peeing up the outside of your front door too.  :sick: They'll def sniff this.

Give it a wash down with your usual washing up liquid and see if things return to normal.  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Thanks all, at least that explains why he's taken to hanging around the front door (like a bad smell, excuse the pun  :evillaugh:). Haven't had the stomach to go poop-a-scooping yet as it's a wet and soggy day here so will have to tackle it tomorrow  :sick:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Im sure its possible. I live in a tower block so Amber doesnt got out but people on the other landing have a cat they plonk outside even though we keep telling them its not fair when he cant get back in and now everything in the block knows 'Charlie' and what floor he lives on but I have found him on my side of the landing before now.
Although Amber has never been bothered about going out the front door onto the landing now she runs out when I go to put the rubbish down the chute. She has a good sniff and then comes back in. I never leave her along out there and make sure the door is wide open for her to come in but Im sure shes making sure Charlie isnt out there
love
Tab

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
I'd say it's possible too Helen and hope it isn't upsetting Riley lad  :hug:

You may have seen I am on a lamp post campaign atm  :innocent:  Reps from company doing the work came on site and we were all standing outside a house as a near neighbour's ginger cat Smudge came along hollering at the top of his voice "look at me!!!!!" as he poo'd on soil near the front door ........... we tried to ignore him  :shify:

Was if he was saying, "this is what I think of those ruddy 'orrible lamp posts"  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Yes its very possible.

Its virtually impossible to stop all smells completely coming through doors, even double glazed ones

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
As per the title really... How good is a cats sense of smell? Would they be able to smell through a front door?!

An unknown cat keeps pooing on my front lawn, they were doing it loads a while back but seemed to have stopped. Now the grass hasn't been cut for a while they seem to have started up again  :sick:

Riley has never been out the front, he has never even seen the front door open as I have a screen up to stop them getting out there. When I'm home the screen is pulled back and Riley has taken up sitting by the front door. I don't think it's to get out as when he wants to go out the back door he's not shy in coming forward eg throws himself at it and yeowls at the top of his voice! With the front door he just sits there. Am wondering whether he might be able to smell the other cats poo? The poo is probably about 8-10 foot away from the wooden front door, do you think he can smell it through the door hence his guarding?!

P.S Only noticed the poo today (about 5 of them  :sick:), will be on a poo collecting mission tomorrow but it could have been there ages for all I know!

Link to CatChat