Author Topic: Non prescription wormer?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Non prescription wormer?
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 22:57:58 PM »
That still sounds quite big  :scared: Luckily my two don't catch birds/mice so it's not essential to do them every three months, I'm normally a moneysaver (aka tight  :evillaugh: ) and wouldn't buy something at twice the price at the vets if I can buy it prescription-free elsewhere but I relented when the boys had their jabs and asked the vet to worm them as the extra cost was more than worth it seeing as they were giving them the tablet too :naughty: They make it look so easy  :tired:

The prescription/no prescription is due to what the drug is classified as eg Frontline used to be classified as vet only but now it can be sold by a 'suitably qualified person' eg vet pharmacies etc

http://www.amtra.org.uk/index.php?page=sqp

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 22:03:32 PM »
Actually I can tell you, they have elliptoid or something on the packet (the new shape) and they are a massive 10mm by 5mm but are 8mm deep!

I measured the half tablet I didn't manage to get down Denzels neck.

Wonder why you don't need a prescription for Drontal, but do for Milbemax tho?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 16:51:57 PM »
Hi Hun - the new Drontal tablets are small - last lot I got are the same size as the Milbemax

Are they called something different from the regular ones do you know? Must admit I've become a bit lax with worming due to the struggle with 'normal' aka mahoosive Drontal, I used to poke it in prawns/treats but they've got wise to it so a smaller Drontal would be ideal!

I wouldn't be embarrased about asking for a prescription for the Milbemax Emmy_Lou, even moreso as they don't stock it any more so you have no choice but to buy elsewhere. As Gill said they can/probably will charge for the prescription though so unless you get a prescription for a reasonable amount it may make it too expensive.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 15:20:35 PM »
No wormers only last a short time but I dont believe in medicating for no reason........sorry double negative......and none of them have ever had worms despite going out and catching mice and in Lupins case eating his catch  :sick:

I also only put on flea stuff once a year unless there is a sign of a little blighter or Sasas ears look like she may have mites.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 15:06:32 PM »
Maybe these were an older batch - they were about 3x the size of the milbemax  :Crazy:

Does your vet give them a wormer that lasts a year??? They had a booster & check about  month ago & he did ask if they needed worming, but just assumed it would be a 3month tablet???

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 14:34:40 PM »
Hmmmm wonder if thats why my vet gave semi-feral Sasa a drontal and not a miiibax! Sounds like the reps have got to the vets again. Misa and Lupin had a millebax one month earlier

There is no problem asking the vets for prescription, you will be charged for it and make sure you get at leaswt a years supply, or better still look on line to see what quantities they sell in first.

I only worm mine once a year and its done by the vet at the annual check.  My birmans always had a spot on wormer at the vet and there was no stickiness and Sasa will as usual next time cos she was sedated this time for an op.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
Hi Hun - the new Drontal tablets are small - last lot I got are the same size as the Milbemax
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
Non prescription wormer?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
Wasn't sure whether to put this in health & behaviour or here......

I used to get milbemax from my vet, but they have stopped getting it in  >:( They were nice and small and no bother to get down the cats necks!

I have since tried a spot on pipette from them which was awful and left them sticky for days. And they gave me drontal this time, but the tablets are HUGE and it was a nightmare giving Denzel them cos she has such a little mouth.

So, what I was wondering was does anyone know of a SMALL non prescription tablet (effective) I could use?

Or has anyone asked their vet for a prescription to buy medication online? I am a bit soft, and wondered if this is commonplace?!  :-[

Link to CatChat