Author Topic: CATS and FIREWORKS  (Read 5914 times)

Offline Catty Parent

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie & Lily (and occasionally Chester & Jasmine!)
Re: CATS and FIREWORKS
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 16:40:10 PM »
I have some stuff that goes on the back of my boy's paws which forces him to lick it off. It then has a calming effect and it really does work (sometimes I'm tempted to use it when he's being naughty, but I never do!!) I can't remember what it was called but I do know that it is fish flavoured. Charlie is terribly scared of fireworks and even adverts on telly with the whooping noise in can set him off. He cowers bless him. This year, I turned the TV up and shut all of the curtains and he didn't even notice. He also had his new adoptive sister to distract him. He came and sat next to me for most of the night, but he was a lot better than normal. I keep my cats in at night anyway, but in the few weeks leading up to bonfire night I don't let them out. I am not only concerned about fireworks and the sometmes cruel idiots that use them (read the other day about a cat having been 'blown up' by a firework which was strapped to it - evil people), but I worry about my cats getting curious about the bonfire stacks, going in to investigate and then getting stuck. This may seem like an irrational fear, but its one I'm not prepared to take a risk with!!!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 01:11:56 AM »
I wasn't home, but as far as I can gather from OH, Robbie just carried on as usual, and was still going outside  :-:
they didn't bother him  8)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 22:56:54 PM »
Rossi however is sat on her window seat watching all the pretty twinkly sparkles in the sky .... funny girl  :shocked:

Lol thats exactly what Willow does! If I close the curtains she gets behind them onto the windowsill to watch the sparklies  :rofl:

Offline Bantiekeeper

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Boy
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 20:47:11 PM »
Wherever Boy is in the house as soon as he hears a firework he scurries in between our armchairs and sits on the floor or sits under the table in the dining room.  :-[
I also feel there should only be public displays.

Offline CatSlave1976

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Fogarty (Foggy), Roxie
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 19:09:32 PM »
There weren't too many fireworks around here, a few public displays. 

The cats stayed inside.  Roxy didn't seem bothered, which was a relief.  Our next door neighbour had a few loudish ones, which upset my daughter more.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 18:45:21 PM »
Such a shame  :hug:

I'm begining to think people just let them off for any obscure occassion nowadays - "I had a poo this morning, so let's set some fireworks off"  >:(

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 17:57:37 PM »
They are off again here :-:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 17:36:03 PM »
I don't see why it has to go on over so many nights....one weekend (if it has to be) is enough.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
We had more going off last night than last weekend!  :shify:  A couple were so loud that even Jaffa started - Jaffa is deaf!!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
We had some fireworks going off too  :shify:

They seem to have gone on for weeks this year >:(

Bit of a worry Sue with the boys and glad they returned safely :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »
No one seems to give a damn about the effect on their neighbours Sue.  I would have been going mental if any of our lot were out last night and am very relieved that young Ross and Dickie came home in at 9pm to save you worrying overnight  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »

I share your frustration Rosella.  Both boys were out last night, it was just on 7.30 and then I heard a load of fireworks going off.  No sign of the lads for over an hour in spite of me and OH trekking the streets looking for them and calling.  Thankfully they came in just before 9 - later than normal.  Was very annoyed.  very worried.   :doh: :doh: >:(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
Last night..... yes that would be 10 November  >:( someone was letting off incredibly noisy fireworks every 20 mins or so from around 7pm to 10pm.  I am talking small explosion loudness for around three hours!!!!  Am wondering if you might even have heard them Jo?  I can only think there was some display going on locally.  Can't believe we are still having to keep the crew in on 10 November.

Then it's Diwali on Tuesday 13 Nov .............

Jeeez Louise  :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 13:08:19 PM »
I agree that fireworks should not be on sale to the general public. Thankfully last night was not too bad and Algie who usually hides under the bed sat on a chair near me although he was not exactly relaxed  :( and Noodle, as usual, didn't seem bothered at all. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't any worse.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
In my eyes these fireworks are the same as a handgrenade the government should do something about it they have gun licences fireworks are explosives!!! What has to happen..... a politicians child to be injured
they should be banned except for public displays and these should be licensed

ok thats my rant over too

My cats didn't seem very bothered last night but then it wasn't very loud no local ones
Diwali  starts tonight Diwali day is 15th November this year so will have fireworks yet again and potentially for the next 2-3  weeks  :scared:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
Fireworks very loud last night.  A few of ours were a bit jumpy but poor Groucho hid under the bed  :(

Do wish peeps would at least stick to 11pm curfew if they have to use fireworks  >:(  It all seemed to go quiet around 11pm so I thought OK to open flap again from 11.30pm but sure enough some prats let off some more around 11.45pm altho thankfully some distance away.  Unenforceable law of course coz difficult to tell where they are coming from.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
Archie and Parki are not to worried inside.

We had a few fireworks going off at 1.30 this morning >:(

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 21:45:43 PM »
My cat is here sitting with me, doesn't seem too bothered, she keeps trying to sleep though and then a huge bang wakes her. Think she's more annoyed at being woken than worried!
I feel so very sorry for all of the poor strays out there though  :'(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 21:24:01 PM »
Foxy, Olly and Zephyr are all sound asleep and totally oblivious to the fireworks.  Rossi however is sat on her window seat watching all the pretty twinkly sparkles in the sky .... funny girl  :shocked:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 19:57:09 PM »
Little rant totally agreed with !
We're getting pretty loud bangs but they've coped with worse with the building work we're having done so they're taking it all in their stride thankfully and are both fast asleep.

Offline Witchling86

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Spirit
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 19:53:49 PM »
Well tonights the night Fireworks started in our area grrr

Dogs are sat in dining room watching them through the window and am pleased that Spirit is sitting relaxed curled up with my old girl (She is his surrogate mother lol). Have had words with the people behind saying if they let off one more of those bangers then I will get hosepipe like I did last year as I know that three of my elderly neighbors dogs and cats are terrified of them and one even has to have her little Jack Russell sedated just to get through it.

Totally agree they should be for firework night only and then only for public display

Little rant over x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 20:38:09 PM »
We seem quiet where I live at the moment. Usually Robbie won't go out for about 2 weeks before bonfire night.  This is the first night he has refused to go near the door.  Unfortunately he is full of energy and taking it out on Sky who wants to sleep. Toys aren't very interesting when there is a live cat to chase around and torment.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 20:32:04 PM »
Aaaw poor Holly - greyhounds seem to be very nervous in general.  :Luv2: :hug:

A dog I had when I was in my 20s would always squeeze in the back of me on the sofa.

I actually know someone who used to put cotton wool in her dog's ears when it got too loud.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline CatSlave1976

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Fogarty (Foggy), Roxie
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 20:12:54 PM »
I have the Feliway plugged in for settling in purposes anyway, Foggy never seems bothered by the fireworks, not sure about how Roxie will react.  But as they've been grounded since Roxie came home it won't make much difference.

Holly the greyhound wanders round the house trying to find a quiet corner, she has anxiety anyway so fireworks are torture for her :(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 19:17:05 PM »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 19:49:48 PM »
Grounding the neighbour's cat - Sue I love it  :rofl: :hug:

Mary

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »

Have asked OH to have a word with neighbours about Dickie - I'm proposing to ground Ross by dusk over the weekend, particularly Saturday when am on my own (OH being away on a rugby trip)  and if Dickie is kicking about outside, I will, if they're not in, ground him likewise, and he won't be taken back until all the excitement has died down.    If they're going to be in before dark fair enough, but if they're going to be out, as I suspect they may be - am not risking him being out too.  :-:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:21 AM »
I think with our hoard, much depends on the distance of fireworks as to whether the cats get upset. 

We never know if close neighbours will be setting them off as children next door and neighbours on the other side like to entertain; they set off fireworks without warning us soon after moving in a couple of years ago.  We hadn't managed to get Dinah in then and and didn't see her again until early the next morning.  I like to think they are unlikely to do that again but we are trying to ensure everyone is grounded by 6pm at the moment. 

Well if it was anything like my socks, I'm not surprised.

:evillaugh:

Offline Huge

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Peggy (RB)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:14:19 AM »
Well if it was anything like my socks, I'm not surprised.

Peggy 01/01/2001(approx) - 28/06/13
Peace at last.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 16:33:44 PM »
Cats are funny things, my little Lu is such a sensitive soul and something as simple as a sock in the middle of the floor has him foot-tapping it from afar, as though it's going to get him - yet he doesn't even flinch with fireworks  :Crazy:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 15:49:08 PM »
I don't worry about Mosi - he acts like he's got a firework up his backside most of the time anyway  :innocent:
[/quote]

:rofl:

Thankfully, The Munchkin is completely unfazed by fireworks. Dear, departed Uncle M actively enjoyed them but he was the most laid-back cat I ever knew. He loved nothing better than a party and the more people and the more noise the better. Most unusual for a cat.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 13:21:43 PM »
It's at times like these that I'm glad Jaffa is deaf!  He was never bothered at all by fireworks when he was younger but as he got older he started getting worried by them and one year he got cystitis shortly after 5th november and I'm sure it was related.  Now that he can't hear them he just snoozes through the lot!  ;D

I don't worry about Mosi - he acts like he's got a firework up his backside most of the time anyway  :innocent:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »
Mine werent bothered at all last year apart from the first couple of loud bangs. Interesting to know it may get worse as they age tho Mary.

I think fireworks should only be allowed for organised displays so at least we can predict where and when they are going to be let off.....
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 18:29:36 PM »
Plenty of Dreamies in stock everyone  ;)

Mary

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 15:08:39 PM »
I'm going to be in all weekend. It's the girls first proper fireworks night and so I don't know how they are going to react. I've already got Zyklene and have feliway on the go over another issue but we;ve got building work going on at the moment at home and there is a lot of noise and they seem to be coping with that ok.
Fingers crossed for all the kitties   

Offline Huge

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Peggy (RB)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
It all kicks off mid October because of Diwali, and doesn't seem to end until mid January. Peggy doesn't seem to be bothered by them much. Possibly because of her background, not sure.

Peggy 01/01/2001(approx) - 28/06/13
Peace at last.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 20:26:23 PM »
OK .......... so I might allow ya the occasional formal display way in a sound proofed gym or something ;)
[/color]

Hmmm IN a gym - fireman at the ready - Ahhh, I see your idea now :naughty:

Bonnie's ok until a load go off all at once for about 5 mins.

I am sure I saw a dead banger outside my mum's bungalow today and I thought they were banned and not on sale anymore?

It should only be allowed on ONE day and only in the middle of nowhere - but then again I always wonder how the wildlife go on - poor things  :hug:

Mary

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
Not sure about other parts of the country but firework season has already arrived in Brum and wanted to thank you Mary for highlighting what we can do to help our feline buddies.

Apart from Feliway and Zylkene, I think it also might be helpful to remind peeps of the following:

Keep our pals inside from late afternoon over the next few weeks; remember it's going to be darker earlier from tomorrow as clocks go back tonight
Keep curtains drawn
Keep radio, music or TV on to distract
Don't overly fuss your cats as this can reinforce their fear.  Far better to try and distract with play and tire them out.

Wishing everyone a happy safe Guy Fawkes season altho, if I had my way, I'd ban it to hell  >:(

OK .......... so I might allow ya the occasional formal display way in a sound proofed gym or something ;)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
CATS and FIREWORKS
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 17:48:20 PM »
As I'm a volunteer for the RSPCA, this email has been sent to mw and thought it might be useful to some of you.

Mary

With the annual fireworks season almost upon us, pets can become very agitated and upset by the unusual noises and bangs. But it’s not just the noise of fireworks that can cause problems.

Fear of fireworks tends to get worse over time and can extend to include the fear of other loud noises, such as thunder, if ignored. But help is at hand with our stress relieving products.

Conditions when the products below may be useful

Kennels
Visit to the vet
Staying home alone
Travelling
Fireworks
Change in household (including new baby or new pet)

The use of Zylkène- (dogs and cats)
Zylkène is a natural product. It can help pets cope better with the noise of fireworks, as well as support them through many other common difficult situations such as a house move or kennel/cattery stay.

Zylkène has not been associated with side effects such as memory loss and sedation and is very easy to give – simply mix the palatable powder with food or a favourite treat once daily.

The active ingredient is made from a protein found in milk and has a calming effect (similar to that seen in babies after a milk feed). It is lactose free.

It can be effective when used a day or two before the anticipated stress (a journey, firework night, moving house or vet visit), and can be used long term if necessary.

The use of Adaptil (Dogs)

ADAPTIL (Ceva) (which stands for Dog Appeasing Pheromone) is a product which is a synthetic copy of the natural appeasing pheromone which is naturally released by all lactating mammals to comfort and reassure their offspring. It works on adult dogs as well as puppies, is non-sedative, and can be used alongside all other types of medication. DAP is available as a spray, a diffuser and a collar so it suits all lifestyles. DAP helps in the stressful situations above, and can also help pups and adult dogs to settle in a new home, and help promote learning during training.

The Use of Calmex ( Dogs)

Calmex-VetPlus contains a unique blen of amino acids, Piper Methysticum and complex B vitamins that aid relaxation in dogs experiencing anxiety or nervousness in stressful conditions.

The Use of Feliway (Cats)

There are several things which we can do as owners to reduce the stress in our cats. Cats which appear to be suffering from stress can benefit from the use of pheromone sprays such as Feliway ®(Ceva) which can be used as a spray or as a plug-in device, placed where the cat spends most of his or her time. Feliway is a synthetic copy of the facial pheromone which cats use to mark their territory. It provides a familiar and reassuring scent which helps your cat to feel secure in their environment.

Link to CatChat