Author Topic: RFID Cat flap wanted  (Read 2339 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: RFID Cat flap wanted
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
The "Out" is controlled manually, exactly the same as other lockable cat flaps, so yes any cat can "leave".

The "In" is restricted to cats whose chips are registered with the built-in reader (very simple to do, just push a button and get your cat/s to poke his head through).

Of course "In" can also be restricted by the manual lock too if required, or the whole thing can be easily switched to work as a standard cat flap in case of emergency.

It's a good idea to register chips before installation if you've got disobedient or hard to handle cats. My feral, who wouldn't be handled back then, happily ate some dreamies from the middle of the flap while it sat flat on the ground - the register picked up his chip even though he didn't pass through the door. He now uses it without a blink.

I wrote to Sureflap to see if there was a two-way micropchip controlled flap available. They are working on a prototype now but there isn't one available yet.

PS the batteries do last quite a long time, we change ours around every four months, not quite the 12 months advertised but as we have eight cats constantly in and out, it gets a lot of use.

Well worth bidding on these flaps, the equilibrium in our household has settled nicely and we don't have any "cat-flap phobia" issues any more because the residents now know only they can get through (no more small foxes or stray toms in the house!).

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
I was under the impression any cat could get OUT of a microchip cat flap it was more to let just yours in. Am I wrong?

Don, well done on getting the brooding lad back with you. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 16:51:57 PM »
There's two brand new microchip cat flaps donated by SureFlap in the auction  :wow: RRP is £80 but they're both on with a start price of just £15 and free p&p  :wow:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42086.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42087.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 19:32:57 PM »
Don't want to say too much... except watch out for the Purrs Annual Christmas Auction (PACA) which is in aid of Paws Inn this year :shify: It starts 18th November so those in the market for a microchip cat flap stick that date in your diary...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 19:36:11 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »
Hi Don, well done on getting the cat back - I've been following your rescue stories (and NOWZAD) for a while and think you do amazing stuff.  ;D

Sureflap (I have one for my eight cats and utterly love it) doesn't open on the microchip for exit, only entry. Exit is controlled by the mechanical lock which is the same as catmate flaps.

However, I DO know the people at Sureflap are very very helpful, smart and flexible and if they can make you one to order with chip scanners both outside AND inside, I bet they'll give it a try. Give them a call, I know they'll have thought this one through and will have a quick answer for you.
They may suggest to install it backwards and set the mechanical lock flap to "entry only" from the outside so preventing your girls from getting out (but this would also allow any strays into your home, and lock them in too!)

http://www.sureflap.co.uk/

Offline Huge

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Peggy (RB)
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Sounds like an idea I might explore for my cat, not for the same reason though (WMDs? LOL, perhaps Blair should have been looking for a cat with stinking farts :P).

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:58:23 AM by Huge »

Peggy 01/01/2001(approx) - 28/06/13
Peace at last.

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
Hi Don

If you do get one let us know how you get on with it. I was thinking of getting one for my cats but got a bit put off by lots of bad reviews that I read online. From what I read it sounds like they are quite a new thing and will improve as more companies start making them. They are such a good idea. 

I will post on here, when I get one fitted. it will not be until December at the earlist as I will not be home until then, but I am going to order one ASAP

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »
Hi Don

If you do get one let us know how you get on with it. I was thinking of getting one for my cats but got a bit put off by lots of bad reviews that I read online. From what I read it sounds like they are quite a new thing and will improve as more companies start making them. They are such a good idea. 

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 04:46:42 AM »
Thanks for your replies everyone.
 :thanks:

I had a look at the sureflap site. it seems as if they do one that fits the need.

It needs to be battery powered, so that I don't have to run mains power to the door. That would present a problem. it could be done, but I would rather not do it.

As for size, he is still not fully grown, you should see the size of his dad. he's enormous! Quite the largest cat I have ever seen. But It never ceases to surprise me the places a cat can squeeze through.

Its' not the poo thats' the real problem, although thats bad enough; its' that he is very 'gassy'. Incredibly so. I think its a change of diet and I am hoping it clears naturally. As he has come through a number of in depth vet check ups very recently, I do not think it is anything more serious than that. But my wife reports that it is seriously offensive to the nose, even the other cats complain and the fish dive to the bottom of their tank to get away from it. I'm OK, as I am several thousand miles away, safely in Afghanistan.

All of this aside, he is a very handsome cat and quite sociable with other animals, including our huge rabbit (6Kgs French Lop).

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 23:00:30 PM »
Sure flap is the powered one and very small and Pet Porte is not as big as it used to be and battery operated

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 22:31:43 PM »
Have a look at the PetPorte and SureFlap sites - one of them is mains operated and the other is battery operated but can't remember which  :doh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 16:00:21 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhh thank you Rosella ...........WMD  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 15:28:53 PM »
I think maybe WMD is his weapon of mass destruction Gill .......... er as in smelly poo  :faint:

RFID radio frequency identification .......... er .......... microchip?

Sorry don't know about microchip flaps but why does it need to run on batteries Don?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 13:57:37 PM »
Sorry dont know what all these abbreviations mean! RFID and WMD?

I only know of one chip reading flap and if he really is big it will be too small for him to get through, my 7.6kg moggy cant get through them even when he was smaller. It also operates from power.

I have a little birman who is a clever little monster and  cos didnt want him to be able to get out,  I set an existing 4 way flap to in only so the other two could come in butfound he was able to hook it open with a claw from inside and get out but couldnt do this from outside and couldnt get in!

He was sitting on the step outside cos he was at that time too scared to go raoming thank goodness.

I dont think there is a flap that will allow chip reading entry for a big cat.

Offline DonI

• Kitten
RFID Cat flap wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
Hi,

I have just brought a cat back from Afghanistan, During the six months he spent at Nowzad in Kabul, he has changed from the lovely soft, cuddle bunny kitten I sent for processing, into a raging, hulking monster. Who is so bored being inside (Location acclimatisation) he tearing everything apart. it is now time for him to start stalking the neighborhood and terrorising the local cats. To this end I am looking for a cat flap that will control entry and exit by his RFID chip.

As I have two other female cats (Khorats) who are not allowed outside; to prevent them being stolen. I need something that will allow him in/out and not the girls. It needs to run on batteries, preferably.

He went out for three hours the other day and returned covered in dust and cobwebs, so we think he knows where the food bowl and litter box lives and it is safe to let him out now. Would you believe he came in for a poo....

My wife thinks he got radicalised in Kabul as he brought a WMD back with him, he can clear the house with no trouble, so thats another reason for letting him out. Otherwise my wife is demanding a hazmat suit and gas mask.

Link to CatChat