Author Topic: Taken in an abandoned cat - advice?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Taken in an abandoned cat - advice?
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 19:43:53 PM »
So pleased Nora is settling in and you are enjoying being a slave.  Just thought of something else ... if you decide to give her a collar please please make sure it is a quick release, safety one.  If you wait until the auction (18th Nov - 2nd Dec) there will some collars on offer there.  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nora and Albus
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 13:46:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the lovely replies and advice.

I am completely enjoying being a first time slave and I feel like Nora (that's her name!) has really settled in. She is so sweet and friendly. She wasn't very playful through her first week but has slowly started showing her mischievous side and now loves playing. She'll even chase her own tail! The more excited she gets, the more she flicks her tail around and it drives her wild   :rofl:

I am taking her back to the vets this week to get her microchipped and find a day to get her spayed. I will also look into everything else mentioned. Insurance definitely sounds like a good idea as I know how pricey vets can be!

I will post pics soon, I have taken loads but need to find the cable to put them on the computer!  :innocent: I can't wait to show off how sweet she is!

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 21:07:47 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

And how lovely you fell in love with her and are going to keep her  :Luv2: :Luv2:

I have nothing more to add that some one hasnt already said  ;D

.....apart from if you're thinking of toys from the purrs shop, try the Da Bird or Da Mouse (or both  :shify:) - you can also get many attachments.
This toy never fails and even my lazy 10year old sprung into life with it  :evillaugh: I actually have to hide them or remove the attachments for them to play solo as I could hear the clitter clatter of them running round the house with it still on the pole  :doh:  :rofl:

ohh......another plea for some pics?  ;D  :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 23:29:23 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Ahhhh bless you for taking on this poor little soul .... she will repay your kindness with lots of love.   :hug:

I agree with everything the others have said.  I suggest having a look at the health and behaviour section as there is loads of really useful information.  Feel free to ask any questions ... don't worry about about asking "silly" questions ... we don't judge or condescend anyone (we were all first time "slaves" once  ;))

If you want to spoil your new arrival you might want to check out the toys in the purrs shop .... they really are the best toys available and not only will you make your newbie happy you'll be helping raise funds for all little ones in rescue.

BTW ... Does the newbie have a name yet?

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 17:22:51 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Sounds like you are doing a great job  :hug:

And please post photos when you can - we LOVE photos!

Seconded  :naughty:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »
And please post photos when you can - we LOVE photos!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
sounds like you have the main things covered, lucky for Dora that you came along!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 00:39:04 AM »
Thank you for saving her  :hug:

:welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Make sure your flea and worming stuff is a make recommended by the vet and not Bob Martin please.

Agree about the chip and insurance immediately before she has any possible, known conditions that could be excluded.

Recommend AXA done on line only, I would go for the £50 excess purrrrrrsonallly.

Two litter trays until you find she only ever uses one  :shify: :shify:

Just love and adore her forever  ;D ;D

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 19:48:22 PM »
So pleased you helped the poor girl. Cats have such a hard time in this throwaway society. The only advice i can give is be prepared to be fall completely in love and more than likely end up with more cats!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 18:58:29 PM »
The only advice I can give is to be ready to become her full-time slave, catering to her every wish and desire! And be prepared to fall hopelessly in love with her (but I suspect you've already done that!).

:welcome: to Purrs (and to the world of cats!), and well done for taking on this abandoned puss. :hug:

You're doing all the important things - worming, defleaing and spaying - already so you don't need any advice about that (but please consider getting her microchipped too). I think it's now all about getting to know your new arrival and learning about her needs. If you have any specific questions, there's a huge amount of information on this board, plus hundreds of experienced cat owners, so don't be afraid to ask anything.

One thing I will mention though, is give your girl a couple of places to retreat to - even cats who aren't particularly shy are usually still private creatures and they value their own space, even if it's just an upturned cardboard box with a hole cut in the side.

Oh, and consider taking out some pet insurance. One of my little darlings has just cost me over £300 for some dental work :Crazy: so it's worth thinking about!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 18:59:20 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 18:52:38 PM »
Bless you for rescuing this little one. Lots and lots of love and what you are doing already. That's it. Microchip if vet hasn't already suggested it. Very, very important. Regular vet checks. Pics please :)

Offline EmandNora

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nora and Albus
Taken in an abandoned cat - advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 18:27:18 PM »
Hello
I am pretty new to the world of cats. Although I have worked with them in an RSPCA shelter a long time ago, I have never actually had my own. However I heard through my workplace that a lady had moved out of her house at the beginning of the month and left 4 cats behind. One was stil hanging around and had nowhere to go. I couldn't let the cat go to the animal warden and be pts or worse, stay out as a feral with nobody to care for it. I decided to take care of her until I could find her a home.

My boss drove us down to the abandoned house and the little angel was sat on the door step in the rain waiting to be let back in.  :( I was worried about catching her but I just scooped her up with no problems. She had fleas, a tight solid plastic collar that was making her neck sore and has the appetite of a horse but the vet says she looks healthy (and also doesn't look pregnant thank god!)

Now that she's home with us I can't possibly let her go. She has won over me and my OH completely.

I know to get her speyed, vacced and all that and I've treated her for worms and fleas, but I was wondering what other advice you'd give to a first time cat owner? Any information would be very welcome!  ;D

Link to CatChat