Author Topic: Need help and advice for my little monster cat!  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Need help and advice for my little monster cat!
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 23:15:50 PM »
I think my art tutor said something like this!

I am hoping not to tempt fate but he is currently not in the same room as me but have a sore hand from being clawed and chewed!

He has very furry feet and even skids on the carpet

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 21:54:50 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: I like that idea Kittens  :rofl: :rofl:
The amount of things he's broken, Gill, flying Lupin Pics might get them replaced!  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 20:38:08 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thats brill Kittens!! dont think i've seen that one before  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: I reckon Gill could make a fortune selling flying Lupin pics loool :evillaugh:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 20:36:15 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thats brill Kittens!! dont think i've seen that one before  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 20:34:33 PM »
Definitely worth thinking about  ;D I suppose it could be any where really...hall way, landing - just about anywhere.

I have a shelving cabinet and its very sturdy so I am going to just do it so they can get onto this and sit, but keep high enough so I have space for my pictures too  :evillaugh: but i'm still at the planning stage yet  :tired:
I even think old Nuggie will like it as he can keep an eye on the us from a throne  :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 20:23:22 PM »
the flying cat pic is just class :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 19:34:22 PM »
Those pictures are great  ;D

I dont have much wall space tbh and want to hang more pictures, and he does love to be up high.

I will have to think about this  ;D ;D

Thank you

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 19:10:03 PM »
oooo Lupin is a character!!  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  :Luv:

My Tazi was the same, flying around the house like (as I fondly said) he had a flea up his  :censored:   :rofl: :rofl:
Luckily, i'd open the door and he's fly out before he actually wrecked the place!!  :sneaky:

Why not try someting like this...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat+shelves&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hcFxUNitE4eLswarxoDoBw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=655

You dont have to buy shop made (which are generally from America and very expensive) and you can make your own with used/2nd hand shelves with old carpet/door mats stuck to them and taadaa you have your own Cat Playground! you can also put toys and what not up there.
This is what i am going to do for mine  ;D I dont have the biggest of houses so it gives them what will feel like an extra floor and some cats just love being up high.....like Lupin  :evillaugh: doesnt have to be anything grand or too big and doesnt have to cover a large area.... ;D

I am also contemplating doing a DIY floor to ceiling scratch post that I saw on the net, which comprises of a cheap plastic drain pipe, some scratch post twine and backets to secure to floor & ceiling and it enables them to run up it  ;D I will have to convince OH that this is the only way forward first, but that wont take long  :sneaky:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »
Still sounding normal to me, Gill  :evillaugh:  He's just playing!  As he hasn't got a young friend his age and activity level to play with, he has to make his own amusement.  And he does seem quite inventive!  :naughty:  Sorry, shouldn't laugh and I know you are at the end of your tether with him, but I have had so many moments like this with Mosi and it all sounds so familiar!  I think I was a bit better prepared than you having had kittens (normal ones!) more recently and knowing that Somalis were a lively breed.  The breeder warned me that he was "energetic" and the liveliest and most dominant one in the litter.  I only half heeded her warnings but at least I was part prepared for mayhem.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 06:18:46 AM »
Have yo say I had a room like yours Gill full of things I thought I might need last year I cleared it out and so far haven't missed anything from it and its now a nice bedroom/ironing room and so much easier to find things and keep clean

I also cleared out the kids study sorry my study upstairs and since I dod that they are using it more and it makes like a lot easier and safer all round and I know you worry about the boy
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 01:14:54 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 19:37:36 PM »
oh Gill just think how dull life would be without him, he just sounds like a naughty toddler :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 16:56:15 PM »
Thank you Jo, a lot of what you say is very sensible just impractical in my kinda life lol...........disorganized, untidy and a horder of special things.

Lack of storage space is a real problem and have a spare bedroom where most of contents were going to be in the loft but the loft entrance isnt like normal ones I have seen and you cant get a box through unless its very small.

He loves books cases and even more what is on them and is now not only leaning on the back door handle but playing with the keys!

I have had to lower the shower unit twice already today and he jumped off half down just now and hit the window and the side of a litter tray.

He wwaits until I am incompacitated on my litter tray and then climbs......................ok stop laughing!

He is also climbing round the kitchen and is finding new places all the time.

I just dont have the space to put things.

The idea of a place in the garden is really a non-starter cos it would have to be roofed in cos of his climbing, he can just shin up wire fencing with ease and netting he would just get under or through, the amount of work and the cost is a nonstarter. Apart from which I would not have the use of my garden any more and also not the other cats, just bloomin Lupin..........sigh

I am scared of him getting hurt in the house cos he has no sense of danger but also worried about all the stuff he can break.

He hates me going out and pulls the curtain down and sits in the window waiting for the car to reappear and then he is happy and ready to return to norty mode.

If he cant find me in the  house but the car is there, he knows he just has to look harder and in the garden is a place to watch from the kitchen window sill LOL although I try to lock him in the front of the house.

Most of his norty is at night when I am trying to go to bed or watching something on TV or trying to eat and he has an impeccable sense of timing. He really doest like playing with me,,,,,,,,,,,,,just manipulating me for his own use............and a da birdy session will last for under 5 mins before he is bored the only play he likes is norty games that he makes up.

He is currently sitting at top of the cat tree alternatively staring at me and thinking or groomin himself..........dread to know what he is thinking!

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 15:36:31 PM »
Oh gill...Lupin does sound like bear my moms burmese. i watched that cat guy programme and read a book by an animal behaviourist who said nearly all of the problem cats were burmese (all sounding like bear :Crazy:) , i think the key is in what you say here...he wont stop climbing...obviously to us humans thats a problem. to a cat like lupin...well its his natural urge to be a topcat! what cat guy does is basically convert all upper things like shelves into whats now the cats new climbing territory. easier said than done though if you have stuff you are fond of on display :innocent: moms cat bear became very happy when john built a pergola for mom :evillaugh: he now "owns" the pergola but inside...yup hes a nightmare.
unlike you though mom hasnt bought him a cat tree so he has top shelves he explores instead..then mom goes mental :scared:
as a proper climbing cat i dont think lupin is going to change as he seems to be getting more adventurous ..not less. I know after having napoleon and ducha that having Lupin behave in such a manner must come as as a shock but i think the only way around it...if you are going to keep sane, is to make rooms Lupin friendly.
either that or a big basic framed cat den in the garden for him to play safely in, but i know thats costly and being ill not something you are going to be able to do anytime soon. Id personally just try to keep him from the rooms hes not safe in and maybe move your treasures to a room where hes not allowed in?
hearing about Lupins mad expoits allways cracks me up but i know with your illness etc, its not easy to try to catch a cat hanging off a shelf or shower curtain :hug:
its hard too as you know the others arent doing it, just lupin :innocent:
i dont know your garden but know its huge :Crazy: is it possible maybe to build a section that is catproofed out your back, ie both sides are safe then a fence right across middle..with a door for you to go through? that way he could have freedom but not be able to run off next door etc? then the rest of your garden behind that part would then be for you to use without worrying about lupin?

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 13:53:36 PM »
He's 2 AND he's a Birman - so i think you will just have to live with it for a while :)

I am sure he will calm down.................eventually! :shify:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »
Wow,just reading about all these antics makes me feel tired lol.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
Established routine helps and I have several at the terrible 2 stage and some who revert :rofl:

Ours are fed, and watered at the same 4 times daily and also they are above all played with constanty and having some theur own age does help take the pressure off the parent

Toys to challange their evil nasty scheming minds help, I have dug out the rustle tunnels and crinkle bags again and the stand up laser thigy from the Purrs shop is a godsend as they can play by themselves and I can play with some of the others and the dogs in the lounge :shocked:

Mine are very in to catnip balls at the moment and the hangy door things from Zooplus are another great way to keep them occupied as are all the toys hanging from the bannister posts going up the staits, I added extra bells and mine love them

Treat balls are another good thing I put extra biscuits from their daily ration in them and they think it is a treat, also the Turbo track is good, pingpong balls and of course the dreaded Valarian smelly sock toys and catnip parties

I put up a glass shower screen to stop the dreaded shredded shower curtain over the bath makes a big difference well to me anyway :rofl:

I am at the other end of the scale currently trying to get our newest forever foster Miss Milly diabetic aged 15 to play and thats a mind biggler as all options apart from chasing her round the garden are failing and having had to scale fences in 3 inch heels the other day to retrieve her from the paddock have now resorted to the puppy harness and dog extension lead!!!

Walking a cat this way in the rain is no fun for the human but she loves it, just wellies and waterproofs and then she sleeps also gets you out in the fresh air for about half and hour a day and that doies blow the cobwebs away and makes you feel better and appreciate a nice warm house - note as its raining here this morning my mob have all been out are soaking wet and now hugging radiators and the couches :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Need help and advice for my little monster cat!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
Ok I stand corrected.... I've never had a cat so wild they are running up the shower curtains! Oh dear... Lupin sounds a right little Toe rag :-/
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
If he can get up he can get down!  He'd have found a way down.

Holes in the shower curtain - oh yes, I have had many perforated shower curtains since I have had Mosi!  :rofl:  He used to like to hide behind it and swipe at me through the curtain when I was standing at the wash basin  :rofl:  I think now he just doesn't like my choice of shower curtain and thinks a few holes would improve it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 00:28:28 AM »
He is a complete and utter monster!

He has climbed to the top of the louvre doors and onto the frame at the top and then got stranded.

Too  high for me to reach and just more holes in my shower curtains.

Had to stand in the bath and lower the whole heavy contraption on its side with a 5kg Lupin on the top. In the end I couldnt hold it and he was still clinging on but as I had to let it go he then fell off very close to the ground and luckily it didnt damage anything.

He was in danger of getting hurt and doing big time damage...............I am just in despair with him.

LuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupiN!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 21:04:37 PM »
Oh dear I think Lupin has norty and hyper gene!

Lupin sounds so like Riley except he is not very affectionate unless he wants something!

Thank you all, am so pleased I asked  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 20:29:04 PM »
yep Kyrre has the norty and the hyper gene.        I often think he is the silver tabby version of Mosi.        I think Kgosi and Keshet will have the norty gene as well.        Keshet is too much of a laydee though to be hyper  :evillaugh:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 19:28:58 PM »
there is a norty gene.  some cats have it, some cats don't.  There is a hyper gene.  some cats have it, some cats don't.  Some of us are (un)lucky enough to have cats with both genes and we age twice as quickly as those with normal cats.  But we also have twice the fun  ;)

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 18:53:46 PM »
sounds very normal to me with 6 NFcs under 3 years who use the house as though its a Olympic running track.        Agree some seem to be naughtier than others.     Kyrre is particularly naughty here  :evillaugh:

Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 18:44:47 PM »
I think it's just in the nature of some cats to be naughty I'm afraid!

My boys are 5 now and Lu has always been an angel, never jumps on the work surfaces, doesn't scratch carpets, doesn't wake me up at the crack of dawn paw poking me. Riley - who had an identical upbringing as they are brothers - is a terror  :tired: Nothing is safe from him, he gets anywhere and everywhere. God forbid if you close a door on him he will wail and scratch the carpet, he will paw poke/prod to wake me up accompanied with drooling and incessant squeaking :sick: He thunders round the house at 1am 'arool-ing', he thuds into the back door so hard at 100 miles an hour I often think the glass will break  :scared: I could go on and this makes him sound bad but he is also a very loving, affectionate and cuddly boy so I forget about his bad points  :shy: As others have said it helps being out of the house full time working hours, only poor Lu has to put up with him 24/7  :naughty:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 18:31:09 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the enclosed patio LOL

Lupin would just find that a challenge and he would climb out of that in a jiffy......sigh

It would have to have a roof to keep him in!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 17:08:09 PM »
I don't remember any of mine being that active - they have the enclosed patio of course, but they don't do much more than lie about out there

I'm convinced what has kept them pacified is the soporific effect of the fire - first an open coal fire, then the stove - they lie in front of it for hours at a time, belly up, and it seems to drain any desire to move out of them

though on the down side, two of them are chubbies, and the third may go that way once his thyroid is no longer eating up his food :scared:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 16:52:50 PM »
Yes I am not used to kittens, thats true.

Outside by himself is not an option cos he would be under a vehicle before I could say car  :(

Ok so he is just normal.......sigh

Maybe the last few nights have been the weather although going out for an hour doesnt help cos he will sit peacefully watching something I cant see LOL, then when I am not watching and in better weather when I have dozed off he is climbing up trellace, trees ,walls , fences, any blooming thing!

He is just far too clever for his own clogs and way too nosey  :innocent:

Some of your replies have made me laugh, although nor Susannes!

Yes he has a big cat tree and this was part of his game last night, running from the kitchen down the hall into here and flying straight to the top.

He has also learnt to climb the cat tree poles on the outside on the tallest side so pulls him self up two feet at a time gripping with the other two feet, a bit like a lumber jack. He also climbs a lattice door like this at the edge.............sigh

If it all wasnt so stressful it would be funny  :shify: :shify:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 14:23:37 PM »
being out at work all days helps me  :rofl:

I would agree with that!

Oh dear Lupin does sound a handful although I have to say its pretty normal! Nina is 4 and regularly flies about the house and jumps over the most obscure items of furniture.

Rio is 2 and already been caught out on top of the fridge and law prints on the hob tell a tale.

It appears to be normal... I just let them tire themselves out as most toys get ignored!

Entertaining if nothing else but frustrating and worrying yes!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 14:12:30 PM »
I have to say that yes it is normal for a 2 year old!  It must be the weather cos Mosi was hyper and racing around meowing last night.  He kept leaping onto surfaces (regardless whether there was anything on them) and just flying around from room to room.  He eventually calmed down when i put the heating on and he realised the bedroom radiator was on so lay down on the bed for a bit of R&R.

Lupin is a young, lively cat so you've got 2 things to contend with.  Some cats are young but have a slightly calmer disposition - so you just have the liveliness of youth to cope with.  Others are very lively and very naughty but hopefully they calm down a little as they get older.  As I've told you before, Mosi is only calming down a bit now and he will be 7 in December.

Mosi does not acknowledge the word no.  I think he knows what it means (he definitely knows what I mean when I shout it at him!) but he chooses to ignore me if it suits him.  Lupin sounds very normal to me.  I think you have 2 choices as to how to manage his behaviour - let him have free access outside and accept the risks that go with it (which I'm guessing is not an option) or contain him, try to entertain him and accept that he will have his hyper moments and indulge in a lot of nortiness.  he needs exercise, for his mind as well as his body.  He will calm down as he gets older but I'm afraid you have a few years to go yet I think, and the best you can do is try to occupy his mind as much as possible, tire him out as much as possible and spend the rest of the time in a defensive posture protecting the vulnerable areas of your body! 

He sounds perfectly normal to me - you just aren't used to kittens!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 14:09:20 PM »
being out at work all days helps me  :rofl:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 14:06:40 PM »
I think that's the trouble with 'intelligent' breeds, they just need so much to keep them occupied, especially when they're young. I once knew someone who had two Burmese cats who'd open cabinets and pull out all the china and glassware!

I assume he has lots of interactive toys? A big cat tree to climb?

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 13:49:05 PM »
well all of mine as you know have access to a catproofed garden but if its raining it is always my fault!  Oscar will run back and forth between the dining room and lounge or up the stairs at 100 miles an hour until he gets out of breath and Tilly uses her charming crow impression and tries to kill the arm of the sofa, I have to say the worst I get from Amber is waiting by the back door and black looks!  Star is an angel who never complains!

afraid to say I think he might be normal!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 13:39:59 PM »
Yessssssssssss its that LuuuuuuuuuuuuuupiN.....sigh

I know loads of you have young cats and have had young cats but why is Lupin so very very norty?

He is just two years old now and he is getting worse and worse and feel I must be doing something wrong.

He is climbing and jumpin on everything he can and is finding new places to cause chaos.

He now climbs up by the back door and presses the door handle with both paws, luckily its locked most of the time and he isnt strong enough.

Last night he went besrserk and just ran back and forward the length of the house and flew onto kitchen window sill hitting the window hard, then he was racing up and down stairs, chasing the other cats.

He climbed into some new places and just wont listen to no and many of these places are not goodd, like beside the kettle. He is far worse at around midnight. one oclock!

During the day he moans and whines nonstop cos he wants to go out and the weather out there is attrocious and far too bad for me to be standing holding his lead while he sits and looks!

Its not safe for him to go out without his walking jacket cos he is such a jumpy climby little boy even outside and my garden is too big to cat proof and any type of run would just make him act like he does in the house.

Am at my wits end with him.

He doesnt like being stroked and is not a cuddle cat but he knows enough to try and soft soap to get his own way, so will rub round legs and head butt and take me to where he wants to go............usually the back door........sigh

Is all this normal  :shify:

Link to CatChat