Author Topic: Introducing kitten(s) to an older cat  (Read 1367 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: Introducing kitten(s) to an older cat
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 14:11:27 PM »
Good luck!
We've just taken on my mother in laws 8 year old who is not getting on too well with my almost year old kittens.
We've had lots of hissing, growling, spitting and screaming since the older one has been let loose but gradually things seem to be calming down with the help of feliway.

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
I'd go with 2 kittens, moggies or a breed that doesn't need a lot of pampering, so your other kitty doesn't feel left out.

I would keep the kittens in a 'safe room', some where that you can shut them off to the world but they get interaction, toys, litter, food and play time.  Let your kitty smell them through the door and vice versa.  Use a blanket and let the kittens get their scent over it and then give it to the other cat.

Personally I think feeding the cats on either side of the door works well but not straight off, give the kitties a good 4-5 days to adjust to their new home.  Then when feeding time comes, put a door stop down, so the room door is open an inch and put down your cat's food first, then have someone put down the kitten's food.  Do this for 2 days or until growlings finish.

Then bring all 3 kitties to a room, such as the kitchen, don't hold the kittens as your cat may see this as them being the dominants, let them get their sniffing and scentings out the way.

I would suggest that the new kitties be neutered/spayed, makes it alot easier on your current cat.  A female kitten can go into heat from the age of 4 months, it will anger your now female cat, which will make the integrating process a pain and the house hold may get a few beatings.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 22:07:34 PM »
FIP is a terrible thing, my thoughts are with you  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 20:33:02 PM »
Hi

I think it's really great you are considering giving a couple of kittens a home as there are so many needing homes at the moment. I don't know what situation you are in but could you maybe consider fostering a couple of kittens and then you could think about keeping them if things worked out.

I fostered a Mum and her kittens and ended up keeping two as we couldn't find them homes.

Offline Window16

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 20:19:04 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
We are pretty much still in shock about his death to FIP and miss him terribly. I cant believe how one cat could bring so much joyful noise to the household. We have plenty photos and videos of him but still too painful to look back at those.
Tiger was absolutely fine with Tobey, they played as kittens and slept together, but once they grew up she become more independent huntress, while he was just silly and playful cat, not interested in any hunting. He was more interested in making friends with pigeons, foxes and being just silly cat. On many occasions when older he would start playing with her, but she would not have any of it, she would just moved away from him. He would sit and play with neighbour cats visiting our garden. Tiger however would chase them off and start masking the places with her scent immediately.
The main reason we considering a pair of kittens is because there are so many abandoned cats and we are are happy to offer them love without conditions (I always feed stray cats on holidays buying cat food and providing water to them).
However we are  taking any decision making very carefully and with Tiger in mind as priority. 

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Introducing kitten(s) to an older cat
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 19:25:13 PM »
I would echo what Gill has advised. It does sound as though she is an only cat but then how did she interact with her brother?

She seems quite an independent lady who is in and out so maybe she could handle a pair of kittens as she can come and go as she pleases.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 18:22:25 PM »
A very hard decision to make and she does sound like she is an only cat type.

I assume she is about 5 years old? Still young if so.

So sorry to hear about Tobey   and am sure you are still grieving  :hug: :hug:

Did Tiger play with Tobey?

A pair of kittens maybe better than one so they have each other to play with and if Tiger chooses to keep herself to herself it wont matter so much as long as you make it very clear to her that she is still loved . Ma\ybe two male kittens as then she is still top female.

Its very hard to advise and if you can maybe strike a deal with a rescue that if it doesnt work they can go back?

Offline Window16

• Kitten
Introducing kitten(s) to an older cat
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 17:48:21 PM »
Hi there, I am trying to find out the answer or guidance to the topic above.
5 years ago we adopted 2 kittens, ginger Norwegian forrest Tobey (male), and black street moggie Tiger (female). You would never guessed they were siblings. T
Suddenly, out of blue our Tobey died in April this year and he is very missed. He was the fun loving, silly and friendly cat. I suppose we are still grieving and can't really believe he has gone. Luckily he still have Tiger, who we adore as much.
We live in a large house with great garden and full of trees. As we love cats we would like to give home to new kittens. However, in our eyes Tigers well being is top priority and we would not want her to feel abandoned or isolated. I have read loads of articles about introducing kitten(s) to older cat, and we have enough time and space to do it, but I really worry that Tiger might withdraw and become unhappy. She is very independent, doesn't like to be picked up, she is not a lap cat. She is very territorial and possessive. She always brings mice or birds into the house and is a very naughty cat, what makes her unique. Saying this, she is that kind of cat who comes to my bedroom (via window, ignoring the cat flap downstairs)) in the middle of the night to cuddles up. We have few cats in the neighbourhood and she always chase them off and doesn't like any other cat company.
I would hate to get new kittens and see her unhappy.
Has anyone experienced similar dilemma? or successful experience?
Thank you in advance

Link to CatChat