Author Topic: Cat feeder  (Read 2583 times)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
Re: Cat feeder
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 13:12:59 PM »
I have left mine (when there was less of them!) with a feeder with dry food for 2 days and they were absolutely fine. To be honest the unsociable lot would be more freaked out by strangers visiting than being left alone. I did have a back up feeder, as I worried about them not working. Also more water bowls and a dripping tap just in case. i have to admit that i was a little but plagued by nightmare visions on the drive back home but they were all OK, just looked they had just been catching some extra zzzzzs.

...but please enough of the  normaltalk- more lolcat derailment  :evillaugh:
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 22:24:02 PM »
I have left mine for 24 hours and a bit and that was fine although Lupin didnt eat much.

I think that 24 hrs is too long purssssssonally and wet food goes off after that.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 18:07:27 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apologies for slightly slipping off the subject - I just feel its my duty to cover every scenario :rofl: :rofl:

Personally I'd return to this.....*see below* :shify: :shify: ....
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 17:14:18 PM »
 :nawty: :nawty:  :heeee heeee:

Seem to have strayed somewhat from the point, but what the heck  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 15:48:56 PM »
Beware of Cats Home Alone is all i'm saying...... :shify: :shify:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 16:33:34 PM »
I'd make sure you hide the remote though, ours stayed up late watching pay per view last time we went away and we got charged £150 for multiple viewings....

You had me up until here  :evillaugh: I thought they must have knocked the remote and accidently turned it on until I carried on reading  :innocent:

This isn't Mosi we're talking about, though, cos he definitely would  :rofl: I wonder if Susanne has thought about changing her passwords  :shify:

I'd only be worried feeding-wise if the water bowl could be knocked over. Generally a couple of bowls of dry food next to the feeder would be an ample supply for a couple of days away.
However, I know lonely cats tend to go searching for their slaves and can get into bother. Pursley once got herself hooked up on my net curtains and was uncomfortably stuck fast by her claws when the catsitter turned up and un-hooked her. I doubt she'd have survived 48 hours without damaging herself, and I would have been distraught to think she'd been stuck there all that time. We don't leave our cats any longer than overnight, and have a catsitter pop in and check all is well twice daily when we're away.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 13:39:03 PM »
I'd make sure you hide the remote though, ours stayed up late watching pay per view last time we went away and we got charged £150 for multiple viewings....

You had me up until here  :evillaugh: I thought they must have knocked the remote and accidently turned it on until I carried on reading  :innocent:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 13:32:44 PM »
I'd make sure you hide the remote though, ours stayed up late watching pay per view last time we went away and we got charged £150 for multiple viewings of "Rattatouili", the "three mouseketeers" and "Stuart Little"!
:rofl:
Also, lock laptops/computers away - you might think your cat doesn't pay much attention to what you do but he knows all your passwords!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 15:47:46 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 13:06:29 PM »
Depending on how your cat is on his/her own, and how relaint he/she is on wet food I'm sure you'll be fine.

We leave ours with a dry food dispenser, water fountain and extra water bowls so they have fresh water and they're absolutely fine.  They miss their wet food, but they get over it.  If it's nice weather they'll have fans left on too, although the house stays nice and cool.

The question is if the cat has access to the outside for toilets or if you're confident it'll use the litter tray every time.

I'd make sure you hide the remote though, ours stayed up late watching pay per view last time we went away and we got charged £150 for multiple viewings of "Rattatouili", the "three mouseketeers" and "Stuart Little"!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 14:29:09 PM »
I agree, use the feeder, but I would get a neighbour or friend to call in just to check your cat was ok (and the feeder was working!)
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »
It wouldn't be the food issue that would worry me so much, more what if he/she was taken unwell or hurt in that time. Could you set a feeder and ask a neighbour just to pop in a check they're OK so the neighbour isn't having to do any actual 'work' just a cursory check that (fingers crossed) he/she is OK?

Offline diddly

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Holly
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
Hi Smudgey,
I did that a few years ago now and my cat was fine, but he was 13 so not overly active.  I did put brand new decent batteries into the feeder though for a little peace of mind.
I think it really depends on the personality of the cat though, I wouldn't do it with Holly, she's a very needy little girl  :)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 23:21:44 PM »
Hi Smudgey  :)

Personally I think 2 nights might be too long? The longest I have left mine is from 6-7pm to 10am the following morning (basically a night out  :shify:  :evillaugh:) I think i'd just panic the whole time that i'm trusting a machine to feed them  :doh: LOL
And I dont think my trio would last that long without human contact...my house would be trashed in their sheer panic at being abandoned  :shify:

BUT i'm sure there will be more experienced people who will help slightly more efficiently than I have  :)

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
Cat feeder
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 20:08:23 PM »
Thinking of going away for 2 nights do u think my cat will be ok on a 4 meal cat feeder and a dish of biscuits???

Link to CatChat