Author Topic: To get another cat or not!!  (Read 1771 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
To get another cat or not!!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 18:05:31 PM »
I made the error of telling me mother who said I was crazy! Lol.... I didn't inherit my cat love from her.

I've been keeping an eye on rescue the last couple of weeks - there is a one year old boy ( I think opposite sex might be better) I've got my eye on but I'm giving myself a bit longer to consider. I have always got my cats from rescues... I'm a sucker for a sad wee face.

I want to be 100% sure - as I always am of course :-)

Thanks again - its really appreciated.
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: To get another cat or not!!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 14:47:57 PM »
I totally agree about going to a rescue, they know their cats and if they will get on with others and if it doesn't work out and the worst comes to the worst they will take them back. There are so many desperate cases at the moment that it would be great if you could take another cat on. Even the kittens aren't finding homes. 

I have had two cats though that didn't get on they were two females of similar age and they did make my life and their own a misery. So you definitely need to do everything possible to get a cat with the right temperament to compliment Nina. 

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
I had thought about a young cat/kitten - I've heard of older female cats getting quite mothering to them. However I've never had a kitten really - I've always adopted over age 8 other than Nina who was 6 months and very placid!

I need to do some research. I thought of another raggie or Persian for their placid natures. She is so placid and like a raggie you see.

Thanks again :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
I think with a 4 year old I would probably try to introduce another cat.  If she was older I might say best leave well alone if she's happy with things, but a young cat who is used to having other cats around will more than likely get on ok with a newbie, although obviously that can't be guaranteed and some cats just don't like each other!  If you can be careful to choose the right cat (maybe a young adult or older kitten so that you have a reasonably idea of personality but they are not old enough to be set in their ways) and do the introductions carefully, it should work out ok.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
Forgive me I'm using the mobile app and I don't seem to be able to edit!

Her and Oscar weren't particularly fond of each other - well they didn't hiss or anything they just didn't go near each other, other than to both clamber on me or at feeding time. She sees cats outside when she is on the balcony and I thought she would react but she just watches them!

Anyway thanks again - if only they could talk!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
Thanks people. I know she would get on with most cats provided they weren't bullies. She is very laid back and lived with a needy ragdoll for her first three years. I just wish they could talk to us lol... Then I would know what she wanted! If she is happy herself then fine with me :-)

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
I think Jo summed it up perfectly! If you do decide to go for it I'm sure any decent rescue can tell you which cats they think would fit in with Nina's personality best which takes away some of the uncertainty.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
Difficult, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

In my personal  experience  getting another cat has never been something I have regretted.  In the case of my boycat Cashie, getting him a little girl companion has been the best thing ever for all of us, they play, they playfight, they cuddle, they groom each other, it is a joy to watch & I know he is happier and far less dependent on me, far less clingy than he was.

Is Nina an indoor cat?

I think that because Nina has previously enjoyed the company of your old boys it is quite likely she may appreciate a companion. Even if they only tolerate each other it adds interest and variety to their lives, at best it may the making of her and the best thing you could do for her. 

On the other hand if they fight or one terrifies the other  there is a problem but perhaps it is worth a try?

Choose your new cat carefully though, don't get an overly confident boisterous one because that might make Nina even shyer.
Maybe a young submissive  cat or an elderly one?? 

And of course if it all works out you'll have two happier cats, a happier you and you'll have rehomed an unwanted kitty.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

X

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 22:50:22 PM »
Its a very hard thing to decide and sorry cant advise you  :hug: :hug:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 21:37:45 PM »
I should add she is more timid now - seems to react to noises etc where as before she loved noising the boys up!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 21:35:14 PM »
Hmmmmm I'm having a bit of a dilemma currently! I have one cat - my lovely Siberian cat and it's been just me and her since her two big brothers were pts last year at the grand old age of 15.

Now Nina has came right out of her shell, Is much more affectionate and much more of a lap cat. Granted Edgar and her slept together often but there is no denying she is more affectionate. We have been quite happy the two us and as much as going from 3 to 1 has been hard and strange it's ok.

The two old boys were back and forward to the vet and having accidents towards the end so it's been refreshing dealing with 4 year old Nina.

I just wish I could read her mind to see if she would prefer a pal or not. I'm cat daft and would right away but I just can't decide what is best!

She seems content but sleeps more. She doesn't have any one to run about with but has a silly amount of toys - my living room looks like a toddler lives here!

Any thoughts? How have people came to the decision before? I don't want to upset her. She was the kitten that came into a house with older boys

:-/

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat