Author Topic: Opinions please... RSPCA & Current horrific cat situation...  (Read 7193 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Opinions please... RSPCA & Current horrific cat situation...
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 21:47:05 PM »
Very sadly Liz this as you must know is not an isolated event,it is something that happens hundreds of times a day and more.
I fight for every little life BUT you need to ask yourselves How much worse would the problem be if every animal was allowed to  live,  I`m afraid sick and dying animals would soon litter the streets,Yes the problem is that bad.
I can understand the many small branches wanting to "defend" their work but hey ho shouldnt they be more proactive  and approachable within their own area avoiding the national intervention that sees so many killed. Many years ago I fostered for a rescue and was unhappy with levels of care and waste of resources the answer was simple I got out and  started my own rescue. The point is it is the choice of each individual who to support and as long as this national have such support atrocities like this will continue.
I would like to prewarn rescue peeps from inadvertantly bad mouthing this national as they have been known to destry many rescuers and march in with PTS of animals in care.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 21:36:31 PM »
Can you put a link to your page please Angie cos have never seen it on FB..........I am useless!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 21:33:56 PM »
I have shared the FB post on our page and one person has told me its disgraceful and left!
I think people should know what is going on and even though it is upsetting just maybe people will be upset enough to DO something!
I am curious to know if anyone thinks I have overstepped boundaries.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 21:13:15 PM »
Hi Liz

Not read anything cos I am too soft and can't bear to read about cruelty.

1. I am an unpaid volunteer at Halifax RSPCA Rescue and Re-homing Centre. As Helen said in her point1 this centre is not funded by the main RSPCA and they are great.  The staff are all underpaid and work so hard and they do it for the love of the animals. Thye have offers on all the time for neutering and fleeing and worming and sell meds cheaper for people.
2. I reported a neighbour who was not looking after their rabbit and the RSPCA were quick to act.
3. As Helen remarked.
4. When RSPCA make requests for money on TV ads - they should make it clear to peole that their money is going to the big RSPCAs and not local ones.  However, some people may not take the time to find out about their local RSPCA so that they can then donate to them
5.Don't know enough about what the large RSPCAs do or don't do to comment BUT I would like to see more children being taught that it is wrong to miss-treat animals.  I don't think they should be 'forced' in to liking them, that has to come naturally, but they can be taught to be kind to them.  Chipping should be made law.
6. Breeding of our dear moggies should be stopped as much as possible - maybe put ads on packets/tins of cat food saying how many hundreds of kittens can be born to one cat in a year.  Something like a warning on packets of cigs.
Pedigrees is ok to a certain point - they should be checked and double checked and so should their customers cos it doesn't necessarily mean that if you have a lot of money to buy a pedigree that you will look after it 10 months down the line when you realise how hard it is to look after them.

Hope this helps.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 19:13:42 PM »
I have pmed you Liz

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 19:07:08 PM »
What an awful thing to witness  :(  :hug: So needless  :'(

1) Only to individual branches, not the main RSPCA. My local branch is excellent and never puts a healthy cat to sleep, rehomes FIV cats etc They receive NO funding from the RSPCA yet they get the negative press that is associated with the main RSPCA.

2) I contacted the RSPCA to report an advert in my local paper which was offering non-pedigree 6 week old kittens with no tails. As I was concerned the tails might have been illegally docked I rang the main RSPCA helpline. The advisor took all my details and listened to my concerns, she then said words to the effect 'thanks very much bye then'. I said "don't you want the details from the advert, I have their name and telephone number" only to be told *and if this wasn't so serious it would be laughable* that they couldn't take details from the advert due to data protection! The person who was selling the kittens put an advert in a public newspaper with the intention of people contacting them about the kittens yet the RSPCA wouldn't even take the phone number due to 'data protection' - farcical  >:(

3) That the main RSPCA (not local branches) continue to raise funds yet when it comes to helping animals they seem very reluctant to act and, as in your upsetting experience, put animals to sleep for no reason

4) Feel free to use above real life example in number 2

5) Neutering vouchers, education + TNR are all equally important I would say. If things continue as they are rescues won't be able to take any more cats in and cats will be left to suffer.

6) I'm not anti-breeding (pedigrees only, no excuse for breeding moggies) but feel that the breeders should be more closely monitored by some kind of body to ensure that the cats are healthy and don't carry on passing genetic defects along the lines.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 18:44:57 PM »
i have just read this on fb

http://rspcainjustice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
Opinions please... RSPCA & Current horrific cat situation...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 18:39:58 PM »
Hi all,

Some of you may have seen this on Cat Chat, but am posting on here also as I want to gather as much information as I can.

I had a horrific day on Tuesday (I'm a locum vet nurse) which involved the euthanasia of 4 (so-called) feral kittens and their mother. I am still in absolute bits, but am more determined than ever to do what I can. I am, therefore, gathering info (see below). I won't post the photo I took afterwards... anyone wishing to share/use the image (no, it's not nice, but needs to be seen and understood) the can share from my rescue Facebook page, Marley & Co.

Please, if you are prepared to reply, you can send via personal message, post a reply, or email your response to: lizstokes@tiscali.co.uk

I would like to know from the people:
1) Would you give funds to the RSPCA?
2) What is your experience of contacting/dealing with the RSPCA about a stray/injured animal?
3) What is the main concern/s you have with the RSPCA?
4) If you would like to give a statement about the RSPCA and your opinion of them (based on your experience/s, and remaining professional) I would appreciate you including this.

This is not about the RSPCA alone; but the fact is they are the largest organisation dealing day-to-day with this. I want to get opinions on the horrific situation facing unwanted domestic animals in the UK and the root causes.

5) I would like to know what you feel is the main/root problem that needs addressing by the large organisations, such as: Trap/Neuter/Release programmes, neutering vouchers, education to owners and in schools, making microchipping of all cats and dogs law.

At the end of the day, the RSPCA are dealing with the aftermath of this problem, not the people causing it, but I feel passionately about the need to address the cause, and would like people’s opinions on how they feel is best to do this.

6) Finally, if you can give me your opinion on breeding, be it regulated via a knowledgeable breeder, or people who breed purely for money. Do you think there should be more strict regulations and licensing?

Thank you in advance... I am still shell shocked about Tuesday and feeling very down, but I intend fully to do what I can, and the more of us onboard trying to make changes and fighting to save lives, the better.  I am long going to be seeing those kittens petrified faces before I sleep...  :'(

Liz x
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 18:40:34 PM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Link to CatChat