Author Topic: Help with neutering/spaying costs  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
Re: Help with neutering/spaying costs
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 15:53:27 PM »

I dunno why people would turn down free neutering/spaying, it's silly!

There's a woman down our road who constantly has kittens, I feel sorry for her kitty, that poor mummy cat must be suffering from stress.  I've been in this street for a year and her cat has just popped out a 3rd litter last week  :shocked: she can't be arsed to take her kitty down to the vets, too much effort  >:(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 14:23:36 PM »
tell me about it, I'm trying to get a family member to take up a free neutering offer in London but its too much trouble apparently

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 14:22:32 PM »
I am hoping to do some leafleting Angie ready for the Animal Action Day, just got to get Rosie settled at the RVC around that time we think.  I do remember the pain of the amount of walking and climbing stairs last time, we did the leafleting, arrived home around 4.30 pm only to find a pregnant cat had gone into labour.  :-: Never did manage to visit the bathroom or have a cuppa until she had birthed a couple of kittens.  :Crazy: I left Rosie on delivery watch, told her it would be good practice for her. :sneaky:

My muscles were still aching until the following Wednesday, even though we had been doing some leafleting prior to that. :tired: Until you have put literally hundreds of leaflets in letterboxes, and seen how just a few folk take up your offers, it is totally disheartening. :(  But we have to think of the females we stop from  having all of these unwanted kittens, and also the males being saved from continuous fights and injuries resulting from going in search of a female.  :)

Coventry Cat Group

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 20:53:45 PM »
Beth, I've only just had chance to read this thread in totality. Please don't apologise, we all make mistakes regarding where the right place is to post - and that goes for the mods too from time to time! ;)

Granted, it was the moderator group at fault for not acting more quickly but I have to remind people here that all the moderators do this voluntarily around their other commitments so things may not be acted on as swiftly as they should.

And I can only agree....reminding people that there is help available is a good thing.  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 17:42:22 PM »

I'll have to have a skeg around the forums properly.  Again, I didn't mean to cause offense, sorry.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 13:31:12 PM »

I agree with the points raised in respect of the "Bargain" comments, but Beth is still finding her way round the forum - as a Moderator I agree, the fault is ours, not Beth's, but I can also see why Beth posted where she has.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:59:19 AM »
but I didn't think it was such a big deal really  :)

Having spent hours and hours trapsing through streets posting leaflets through doors to try and encourage people to attend the Animal action days (neutering and chipping) when you know most of them won't bother...(and some even if they turn up on the day to get a neutering voucher, can't be bothered to take the animal in to the vet and sometimes when CP organise transport can't even be bothered to get out of bed to hand the animal over..)

being totally knackered and really needing to sit down and having loads of other stuff going on in your own life that needs tending to...

seeing chavs turn up with a litter of staffy pups for free microchipping, not donating anything towards the cost and then seeing them on gumtree with a "*** already microchipped***" sales tag...

I could go on..

That is why it is such a big deal. A bargain implies a freebie, come grab it and save yourself some money. Should We spend our time and hard come by funds for people to think this?

I am happy that the group will be spending over £100 on room hire for the next animal action day at Tile Hill, Coventry on Monday 17th September, I am even planning to turn up on the day to help out - I shall not be leafleting this time. If anyone else would like to help please let me know.

And T, thankyou - the posts in the Bargain section must have saved us hundreds of pounds in food costs over the years!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:09:44 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »
Many years ago I asked Tan for this section as I am one of the struggling rescues on Purrs, I have copied the whole title from main page but changed colour of the relevant bit, it is self explanatory. I think the fault lies with mods for not moving this in the first place and perhaps with so many new people on purrs it might be time to navigate them to a proper help section.

Best Bargains and Prices on Cats Stuff
Post here if you know of any shops offering deals and best buys on all cat related stuff. (very good info for Rescues to save money !!)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »
I agree definitely better that cats are neutered, and I can understand why Beth posted it in that section and that was ok too I think  :hug:

we must agree to disagree on that. Animal welfare and health, yes. Bargains and Best buys, No.
I am happy to spend my weekends  raising money for welfare but not to provide someone with a bargain. I'm sorry if the Mods cannot see the distinction.

I can see your point Angie don't get me wrong, but my thoughts on seeing that were - that although usually posts in that section are for items like cat food, it is for any bargains cat related so I can certainly see why Beth posted it there.  Some people would probably post that in Cat Chat section so it could be moved there, but I didn't think it was such a big deal really  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
I agree definitely better that cats are neutered, and I can understand why Beth posted it in that section and that was ok too I think  :hug:

we must agree to disagree on that. Animal welfare and health, yes. Bargains and Best buys, No.
I am happy to spend my weekends  raising money for welfare but not to provide someone with a bargain. I'm sorry if the Mods cannot see the distinction.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
I think it's good to have a reminder of the CP scheme.  Anything that gets cats neutered is a good thing imo, and will save rescues money in the long term.   

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »
Thank you, I didn't mean to cause a debate on the subject

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
I wanted to add to this debate, so forgive me dragging it along probably longer than it should have rumbled.  :-:

If CP didn't offer this service there would be hundreds more unwanted litters. Publishing the existence of it should encourage more people to come forward and have their cats neutered, at very least take away some advice even if they don't qualify, which is what we all want isn't it?

I think Beth did the right thing posting awareness of this service on Purrs, even if it was in the "wrong" section. TBH that's also a matter of opinion, as other newbies might go to that section first for advice on low cost neutering.

CP are perfectly capable of assessing if someone qualifies for help or not: there's no judgement anyone on here should pass when CP have clearly decided in her favour. The circumstances surrounding the arrival of these two girls is explained in her other thread.

I choose to support CP and the RSPCA by regular monthly donation from my salary because I am in the fortunate position, at this point of my life, to be financially able to do so.

It was not always thus. I feel the support I now offer them is in repayment for the support I received from CP when I was in need years ago.

This is the way the world, in general, turns. "Youth is wasted on the young and money wasted on the old" isn't that the saying?

I can see why the placement of the first post may have raised a hackle or two but she was trying to be helpful. If I'd had the reaction that Beth got I'd feel unfairly treated too. There - said it.  :-:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »

Beth - you don't have to justify or explain yourself.  :hug:

We can't know what everyone's circumstances are, and whatever they may be at different times in our lives everyone needs a helping hand.  It's better that a cat is neutered, than used for indiscriminate breeding and that applies as much to moggies as it does to pedigrees.

As has already been mentioned, funding is always a sore subject for Rescues because of the ever present constraint on funding - never easy when you're trying to make sure all of the strays, neglect cases and unwanted cats/kittens are cared for and ultimately re-homed, so an element of frustration can never be far away.  I take my hat off to all of the rescues who do so much with so little.   

Your previous fund raising activities evidence the fact you care too, and it's great that Honey and Aurora are going to be well looked after with you.   Am really pleased to hear they seem to be settling in so well and particularly that your little boy has taken so well to your new family members. 

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »
In the last 2yrs, I have donated £420 to the CP, I've used the money that I would have spent on the foster cats and split towards donating to the CP and the cat rescue I fostered for.  I am an avid fund raiser for my son's school (special needs school) and for forces charities (ex navy).

I am in no way a taker without returning, I've volunteered many hours a month to retirement homes and special needs places, along with other animal rescues.

I just think people are too quick to judge.  I don't like having to explain myself, wish i never posted this thread, thought i was helping people out.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 20:04:30 PM »
Beth nobody is saying you haven't done a good thing in by taking these girls on but I foster and tame feral kittens for 2 branches of CP and end up with the unhomeable ones I mean who would loved a firey three legged feral gal we do Miss Maddison Lee is nasty and does use her remaining front leg to great skin shredding

I never accept money from CP when fostering as I feel other needy cats can have the money, we also do two sponsered events and raise money for both branches in our spare time, I temp full time and my OH works away from home so I do hope you can reimburse CP for the neutering in some way if your local branch needs help it is a very rewarding thing to do

Its just so many CP branches are closing down due to lack of volunteers and donations so it will always be a very touchy subject for a lot of us at the front end of phonecalls and the things we see and hear
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 19:19:10 PM »
Nope, life is never simple  :hug:

On a happier note, mother and daughter are getting on better.  They are playing chase at the moment.....aurora is like a small tennis ball and honey si like an over sized canon ball bouncing off the walls.

It's a mad house  :Crazy:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 19:10:17 PM »
I hope you don't mind Beth but I think that General Cat Chat is a better home for this topic.  Hope you don't mind  :hug:

Using charities' resources is always a sensitive subject esp with under resourced and overworked rescues for obvious reasons but we can find ourselves in difficult situations at times when we need to fall back on the generosity of charities funded by the public.  Life is never simple is it?

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 17:47:45 PM »
Honey had given birth to Pectus Excavatum kittens, so yes there is a high possibility that aurora could have this genetic issue too but it's a gamble.

Rori was offered to me for free, I did not pay for her.  being 9 months of age, if a breeder does not keep the kitty for themselves, or breed from them then 9 months is getting on a bit.  Honey isn't from that breeder's line, she was an outsider who was bought in. 

I've given 2 cats a caring and loving home and I am grateful to have them here.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 17:41:47 PM »
...  I do not feel I should be ridiculed for that.

I did not do that

Aurora was going to be kept to breed but due to her unhappiness, the breeder felt it was only right to get her back with her mother asap.

also she has some genetic problems?

Guaranteed I wouldn't be shot down if I went with a moggie from a rescue center  >:(

A rescue centre would have ensured a 6month old kitten was neutered before homing so it would not be an issue.

My only issue is people who use charities for things they can afford to pay for themselves. PDSA are very much used in this way.
One of our Animal action days, a guy came along for 6 free microchips for staffy pups who were then advertised on a certain site with the fact they were chipped being a bonus. Did he donate anything to cover costs? did he hell.
Is just a sore point with me. It really grieves me that this neutering service is seen as a 'bargain'.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 17:47:06 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 17:35:34 PM »
ok number 1) I come under their requirements for help, I saved up the money needed but it just so happens life accidentally got in the way.  I do not feel I should be ridiculed for that.

2) My ex breeding breeding queen was spayed, i never said she wasn't

3) Aurora was going to be kept to breed but due to her unhappiness, the breeder felt it was only right to get her back with her mother asap.

I felt that it was a good idea to mention cats protection here, no need to put me down for it.  I raise a disabled child, who I originally got honey for.  He has bonded with her now and they enjoy their snuggles.  Believe it or not, he has been a lot better in his behavioral issues in the week she has been here.

I will not apologize for not being well off, I'm not naive to know pets cost money, hence why I have insurance and I save up for a 'pet emergency fund'. 

Guaranteed I wouldn't be shot down if I went with a moggie from a rescue center  >:(

was only trying to help, i'll keep my mouth shut next time.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 17:04:54 PM »
Just wondering if these cats are from a reputable breeder as I have friends all over the world who breed bengals and always ensure that any retiring queens and stud boys are neutered before they go to there new homes

I hope you can afford the care bengals will need having one here with several other pedigrees my ragdolls and NFC all are done and know that further down the line they will along with the moggies and ferals require vets visits apart from vaccinations, flea treatment, and ID Chips
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 17:06:20 PM by Liz »
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 17:02:16 PM »
As much as its good to share the CP neutering voucher scheme I hardly think its a topic for "Best bargains and prices".

I'm not CP but do spend time helping locally with the Animal Action days. The nuetering scheme should not be thought of as a handy way of saving money but should be there to support people who really CANNOT afford to neuter their cats.

Sorry, if you had money to spend on these cats then I really think you should be able to pay for them to be neutered and not take money from a charity.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 17:07:19 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 13:45:30 PM »
Good idea!

I've requested to join the fb group

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
This is very welcome news, and you do right to share it, Beth.  :hug:

Why not go a bit further and pop it on FB?

http://www.facebook.com/groups/91388455703/members/

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
Help with neutering/spaying costs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »

I spoke to my local cat's protection league to see if there was any help with costs towards spaying rorie.  As I am on a low income and with the costs of paying out on cat stuff to set up for my new girls and the added bonus of paying out for new glasses, I am a little 'strapped' for cash this month.

Anyway, I called them and if on a low income, they pay the majority of the spaying fee and I'll just pay £7.50.  Now, if I was full benefits, they would pay for the full price as long as you went to a vets of their choice.

Thought I would share this.

Link to CatChat