Author Topic: Whiskas Supermeat  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Whiskas Supermeat
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 23:28:00 PM »
Funny, the question I asked on Whiskas FB page is there and now been answered - they say that supermeat has ALWAYS contained cereals  :shocked: - but that goes against what they said to bungly about how they HAD changed the recipe.

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 21:03:25 PM »
Kit-E-Kat did the same thing by replacing the meat with 'meat flavored' & altering the jelly,which made it even more honking in hot weather than before.
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 01:23:56 AM »
I noticed that too recently when looking at whiskas supermeat.  Customer demand my foot - they just want to bulk it out with cheaper ingredients.  It's now off my shopping list (never really been popular with my 2 but was always good to keep a couple of tins in).

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 21:13:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this info. I've been trying to feed my lot more Whiskas with the mistaken idea that they would like it and that it would be better for them than brands like Kitekat. I've been surprised by how horribly mushy it seems: I used to be able to see the bits of meat in it. Also, it smells less meaty. The cats have all been turning their noses up and leaving it for a stray cat who pinches their food. Silly me; I thought they were kindly sharing their food with the stray!

But it looks as though the fault is with the Whiskas. No more Whiskas being bought by me. If lots of peeps like myself who have several cats stop ordering it (I purchase on line) or buying from the shops, they'll find the change a false economy.

Educated cat peeps know that cereal is useless to puddies; they can't convert the protein.

Don't think much of their PR if all they can say is the change is due to "popular demand"!!!  :shocked:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 18:39:31 PM »
Cat food companies have no shame and lie through their teeth!

I still cant find a cat food that Sasa will eat after Gourmet stopped making their tuna and shrimp after they said they couldnt source the products.

Her tummy gets upset now and she wont even eat tuna for humans.

Supermeat has been a stable of millions of cats for a very long time ands reckon they are going to lose a huge anout of customers as cats refuse to eat and get ill....................so agree with Rosellas comments

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 16:14:31 PM »
I told her my cats won't touch it and ask why the messed around changing it and she said it was due to customer demand !

Yeh right.  I can just imagine how many emails they received saying "my cat doesn't like supermeat flavour so could you change recipe and pleez include some cereals.... "

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 16:12:08 PM »
This is so irritating  >:(  Some of ours have liked supermeat in the past too and always nice to have an alternative to fall back on. 

I stopped buying whiskas pouches altogether (even on special offer) when I noticed the difference in weight between the felix AGAIL pouches - Nestle- (100g) and whiskas simply pouches - Mars - (85g).  A few noses were being turned up too at some of whiskas pouches.

What I don't really understand is why cereals are considered a cheaper alternative to whatever they have replaced.  Isn't there a drought in the US at the moment which presumably will increase price of cereals?  :-:

Have you tried Classic Gillian?  I think that may be cereal free?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 15:19:24 PM »
I rang them up when I noticed the difference when I opened some cans and it looked different .
It's the only one Pandora will eat .
They said they have changed the recipe and all tins after march this year will be the new stuff.
I told her my cats won't touch it and ask why the messed around changing it and she said it was due to customer demand !
I said that was rubbish and she said the new recipe will stay . I then said I won't be buying it anymore then !
They didn't seem to care .

I spent ages in all the supermarkets looking at the bottoms of all the tins to check the dates , got some for now but there won't be any more .

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Whiskas Supermeat
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 15:09:19 PM »
My cats have always had Whiskas Supermeat tins as it was one of the reasonably priced tinned foods without cereals, unitl recently  >:(

Old ingredient list:
meat and animal derivatives
minerals
derivatives of vegtable origin

New ingredient list:
meat and animal derivatives
CEREALS
minerals
vegetable protein extracts

I'd noticed the inclusion of cereals in the Rabbit variety which I can buy singly in my Sainsburys - that coincided with several squitty cats  :sick: At the time I thought it was just the Rabbit one that had cereals, but then this last batch of 6 tins (original, tuna & chicken) which I fed them this morning, all show the new ingredient list, including cereals. I noticed (before I'd realised they all contained cereals) that the texture was completely different, and it smelt different - cats turned their noses up too, which is very unusual!

I've just been into Coop to look at the Whiskas supermeat in there, and they still have the packs of 6 tins with old ingredient list (no cereals), but I reckon they are older batches and soon all will have this. This makes me so cross, as its a good old standby and now I can't feed it to mine as a) they don't like it and b) even if they did eat it it would give them the squits  >:(

The fact that it now also seems to contain soya (vegetable protein extract) is even more worrying as it should have no place in  :censored: cat food anyway. The previous, 'derivatives of vegetable origin' may well have been soya though - I don't know. :(

I asked a question about this on Whiskas FB page - funnily enough it was removed very quickly :shify:

Link to CatChat