Author Topic: Litter tray waste  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Litter tray waste
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 16:30:24 PM »
Winter at least 10 months of the year  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry to digress but so right here!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
I am lucky during the winter months (which is at least 10 months of the year) because I put the ashes from the stove into a small metal dustbin - I put the litter waste into a plastic container and  tip it in the same bin - the litter trays are just by the back door, and the dustbin just   outside it

then the lot gets transferred to a strong bin bag for collection - no smells or mess at all

in the summer when there's no ash I have to use a lined plastic bin - no more difficult really but a bit smellier
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »
I use nappy sacks - they are brilliant.   I'm actually using the best ones I've ever got just now and they were from Makro - think they were only a couple of £ but they are slightly bigger than other brands.........and they have a nice smell.

I wanted to use the wood pellet litter but Harvey won't use the litter tray if I have that in it, even if I put a little bit in on top of his current litter (fussy wee thing!).

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
I use a litter locker bin/cartridge.  empty into the bin and once a week it gets tied off and put in with the household waste.  The cartridge lasts about 4 weeks and if used properly it doesn't smell.  So much easier than using nappy sacks but the bin isn't overly pretty!  I have one cat using the tray 3-4 times a day and one other whenever he absolutely has to!

I found the litter locker an absolute pain.  The bag used to rip a lot so I had to put it in nappy sacks first otherwise I'd end up with soiled litter all over the bathroom!  Plus it's really just a bin and plastic bag - there's nothing in there particularly to deal with odour so I ended up just using a small pedal bin.  I scoop into nappy sacks and put in the bin which is lined with a supermarket carrier bag then in the morning when I go out to work I take the carrier bag and put it into the outside bin.  I don't remember to do it every morning but it's ok if i forget as it doesn't smell.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 06:39:51 AM »
We must be lucky up here we have skips for garden waste and nobody ever says we can put the waste litter in it ;D

I have 4o litter trays currently about to go up to 42 when the kittens and feral Mum cat get moved in to our catroom after 4 weeks in a rather large Mum and kitten pen then the fun begins
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 21:42:41 PM »
I use a litter locker bin/cartridge.  empty into the bin and once a week it gets tied off and put in with the household waste.  The cartridge lasts about 4 weeks and if used properly it doesn't smell.  So much easier than using nappy sacks but the bin isn't overly pretty!  I have one cat using the tray 3-4 times a day and one other whenever he absolutely has to!

Offline Jilly

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Crystal & chelsea
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 14:31:56 PM »
Ooooooops I think you need to check our forum rules.

As far as I can tell from visiting the website you mentioned, this is simply an advertisement for your product which we do not allow without express purrmishun from Tan so I have deleted your post. Sorry  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 13:08:13 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 14:00:03 PM »
We use the wood pellet litter and now that Dover District Council won't take the resulting sawdust in our garden waste we are composting some and burning the rest with our confidential waste.

Mum got a metal incinerator from Argos and it really is a great thing, every few weeks we have a burn up, is a great way of getting rid of old receipts and bank statements as well as anything your refuse collectors won't take.

The wood pellets from ASDA are good as they are small compared to the Pets At Home ones which really are quite large and the cats aren't too thrilled with them until they break down a bit. I find the wood stuff to be so absorbent and it cust down on odours as well as being biodegradable.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »
Thanks everyone  :thanks:

Maybe I should try nappy sacks then.

Jess's wees are quite monsterous as he only goes 1-2 times max a day  :Crazy: they usually weigh a fair bit with clumping litter.

We then just stick it in our household waste for the dustmen  :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 18:02:01 PM »
Thats a very good price cos it costs me about £11.50 for a 30 litre sack, however I have a choice of two suppliers thro the pet shop, with one the litter is big fat horrible pieces and the other is small and thin and far better cos it goes much further.

Funnily that second supplier is in Wales, proberly been fobbed off with an old machine but great  ;D

Very hard to get to our one Asda though and the car parking is not for cars as big as a mondy.......sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 17:55:33 PM »
Smart cat at ASDA??????????????????/

When and what price and size sack please.

They only had the 10lt size - but its £2.81 for the 10lt, not sure if that's good price for smart cat? but it seemed reasonable to me.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 17:26:17 PM »
Smart cat at ASDA??????????????????/

When and what price and size sack please.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 17:14:35 PM »
Yes, I can vouch for nappy sacks too! - I use the Sainsburys basics ones, very cheap - 16p for 100!

I do admit to seiving the trays to keep whole pellets so it keeps the waste down to

I'm using the wood pellets now too (I found Smart Cat at Asda) and remembered what you said about sieving - works brill!  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 17:10:02 PM »
We dont have a garden waste skip and its not allowed to go over the wall where the garden waste goes..........I only cover bottom of tray too but once Lupin has used the tray twice and dug to aussie, not much left and he is using two trays cos he uses the covered one too.

You are now being watched at the tip everywhere, its very creepy and huge signs about £20k fines

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 17:05:05 PM »
The Clan use 1  x 30 litre bag of wood pellet litter as we just cover the bottoms of the trays and have no throwing it about the place sessions, and the clumping lot are about i/2 inch in the tray s that use that  - this is weekly and we have an awful lot of users and I do admit to seiving the trays to keep whole pellets so it keeps the waste down to

Your cat litter waste can be taken to the tip and placed in the garden waste skip, I have a large compost heap in the woods but also use it in my Normal house size composters as it does speed up the degrade

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 13:21:27 PM »
Mine go into tesco liners too and then into black bags for collection. Most gardens are not big enough to take loads of litter or need that much compost.

My two birmans get through anything up to 30 litres of litter a week if Lupins tummy is ill and as they only collect the black bags one every two weeks the weight is a real problem.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Litter tray waste
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »
Nappy sacks all the way! Definitely not too small here... unless Milo & Jess do monster wees I think they'll be OK! I use the cheapy ones normally which are a bit thin but I bought some from Tesco express the other day - they were in a pack of 75 and are biodegradable. They were still really cheap, can't remember how much but maybe 50p, but as they were biodegradable they were made out of a different type of plastic and were really strong.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »
We have Bins with the waste litter in lined with Swing bin liners and then when full I take them to the tip - we are on a septic tank so no flushing and with the Clan thats 3 Swingbin liners a week, the sawdust only bin we put on the compost heap with grass great accelerant and in the winter it goes in the garden waste at the tip as its all biodegradable

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Litter tray waste
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
Currently we scoop out and put in an old paper recycling bag and into the household rubbish.

We've just ran out of the old bags and have found carrier bags useless for putting the waste in as it falls though the holes.

I brought some cheap bin liners but they aren't much cop either, any suggestions? I was going to try nappy sacks but I think they might be too small.

Link to CatChat