Author Topic: Cat introductions - day 10!!!!!!  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Cat introductions - day 10!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 19:55:42 PM »
Good news on the intro front but not so good news on the hive front  :doh: Hopefully you'll become desensitized to her in time, that was definitely the case with my asthma after a shaky start when I first got the boys.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 17:07:39 PM »
I know! It's absolutely bizarre and i've never had a reaction like it. I already have a steroid nose spray as I have multiple allergys but this is wierd! I've got petal cleanse but i'm not sure how much I should use - I don't want to wash her, but also want it to work!

You should use petalcleanse once a week, I find it helps, as I'm allergic to cat dander too.

I've had a similar unexpected reaction to a cat I was cat sitting for last week, couldnt understand why I suddenly started sneezing and eyes started itching, then realised it was every time I'd stroked her and most of the time I was in the house with her, when I came home I was fine! 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 16:06:58 PM »
Possibly and hope thats the case  ;D

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 15:45:24 PM »
Random question - could I be more allergic because she was only neutered 2 weeks ago? It says on the web that un-neutered cats produce more Fel d1 so maybe the hormones are still working their way out of her system?
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 15:40:03 PM »
Oh that's wonderful Sheila - i'll definately have a look at them!

I use my nose spray anyway as i'm allergic to dust and pollen and get seasonal rhinitis x

It's not really the dander on the fur, but her actual saliva which as she's always got a wet nose it hard to keep wiping down lol!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 15:32:33 PM »
My cat-sitter suffers from allergies and I leave her anti-allergenic wipes for her hands and face and also to wipe over the cats whilst she's petting them. They really seem to help with her asthma.

I also advised these for a neighbour whose son became allergic to their cat and they've worked a treat for him too. I recommend trying these first as it's less intrusive than dosing yourself up with steroids and cheaper too!

On offer at:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/Anti-Allergy-Wipes-for-Cats-and-Dogs-10-Pack-by-Pets-at-Home-15507

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 15:16:56 PM »
I know! It's absolutely bizarre and i've never had a reaction like it. I already have a steroid nose spray as I have multiple allergys but this is wierd! I've got petal cleanse but i'm not sure how much I should use - I don't want to wash her, but also want it to work!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 15:12:34 PM »
oh dear, I do hope that the hives stop, wonder what it is about her particularily  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 13:58:34 PM »
there is a school of thought that says you become desensitised - hope that is the case for you

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 13:35:44 PM »
Right!!!! Update on Layla and Luna....

They're getting on..... ok.... ish!!!! They still keep hissing a bit at each other and keep running at each other but not fighting so i'm thinking that's OK?!

The main thing at the moment is the HIVES OF DOOM!!!!!!!! It appears that although i'm fine with stroking her etc. if she licks me or rubs her nose against me it comes up in hives. She gave me loads of kisses on Sat morning and when I got up my whole face had swelled in welts - not attractive!!!!!

I'm taking an antihistamines and trying not to stroke her too much, but is it something that may go away or get better? Is there any food or supplements I can give her to reduce the stuff in her saliva i'm allergic to???

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Re: Cat introductions - day 6!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 13:47:28 PM »
Yep, that's a really good idea - i'll definately do that tonight!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
would say the same as Liz we had several bowls around so nobody ever felt cut off from food

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
Not so bad really the unlike langauge from a lady is normal :shocked: :rofl:

I would get a couple of extra small bowls and fill with dried food 0- I have used Ramakin dishes in the past and place in other locations so they can have a challange at finding the food
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »
Well, last night's intro went as well as can be expected!

Layla made noises i've never heard her make before but we had no real fisticuffs! Lots of growling, hissing and then running away when Luna got near. There were quite a few 'stand offs' with Layla at the top of the stairs and Luna at the bottom making her way up slowly.

One of the issues I foresee if that Layla is very motivated by food as she was starved in her previous home and she has dried food down during the day which Luna started to eat - I could see that this was the most stressful things for Layla - is there any way to keep them from eating each other's food? (I'm presuming not!)

Luna went back into her room for the night and we had a mini meet this morning which went OK. I'm thinking that we might just have to let them get on with it tonight when we're there is anything major happens.....

...... i'm guessing/hoping this is normal??????!!!!!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat introductions - day 5!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 16:55:47 PM »
I think you keep a pillow close for emergencies but even unruley lupin snuck up to the cats very slowly, its their instinct.

good luck  :hug:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 16:13:16 PM »
Get someone else to do it!!!  :evillaugh:

I'm no help sorry, mine all snuck around each other. Wordy has  had a bum sniff and nose kiss off of Poppy.

My older 2 are getting back to normal now, going to their usual places and playing etc.

Good luck.

Nicky

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 15:43:03 PM »
Well it's the day that Luna has her stitches out from her spay -  ;D

I'm thinking that a 'proper' face to face meeting is looming and necessary as both seem suitably intrigued with each other. The thing is, I think that Luna is SO friendly that she's likely to rush up to Layla to say hello which I think will be interpreted as she charging at Layla!

Has anyone got any tips on face to face contact (apart from having a pillow nearby!!!!!!!!)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
Re: Cat introductions - day 4!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 15:44:37 PM »
I'm on day 10 with Wordsworth, he is free to  roam indoors since the weekend, and left alone with the other 2 all day monday and tuesday, seems to be going ok, and we left our bedroom door open last night, so he can wander to his hearts content.

Poppy has given him a little kiss and tried to wash his head, but he hissed at her so she hissed back!! They will get there eventually.

Greedy little monkey, eats their food as well, in front of them.

Good luck.

Nicky

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 15:28:24 PM »
Thanks you guys!!!!

It's good to know that's it's going the right way! I might let Luna out into the main house whilst Layla is outside later but then I hate having to shut her in the bedroom at night as she cries sometimes. However my bedroom is around 10 times bigger than her pen at the rescue so I think she just is in seventh heaven anyway!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 15:18:07 PM »
Sounds like its going ok, I would continue doing what you are doing ensuring resident cat is given food, cuddles and everything else she desires first so she knows she is still number 1

Establishing the heirachy is important we have an alpha female Miss Clio our very first feral and she assumed the position after the sad loss of Sweetie, our Alpha male was a bit of a tussle and now Bailey Bad Boy Wilson is in that role, he saw off Lima, Max and Merlin to assume the role and takes it a tad to seriously sometimes but he misses his Dad so tries to keep everything in check :shocked:

We have been so lucky with introductions and have broken most of the rules in some cats cases - Caspurr being a ragdoll is so laid back that he was just plopped in to the clan as was Star our foster NFC from Lottie he is a softie to and happy npow he is shaved up and no more knots and both have been whipped in to shape by the junior terrorists Kali and Sherbet :rofl:

Miss Porsche Bengal is work in progress she is out through the day with the house cats and in her bathroom by her choice at night :shocked:

Ours have always had fosters of some sort so tend to accept anything that comes in and they find there place in the pack and friends to ;D

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 14:59:02 PM »
Yes the best way is little steps until the one giant one...........I am in month 3 LOL but problem is access to outside more than the cats I think and cant allow Lupin outside.

The big one here is going to be next week if I can get everything sorted

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 13:10:18 PM »
Well just been home for lunch and all going well!

I had Layla eat her lunch by the door of the room whilst Luna had hers in her basket. No hissing, growling or spitting, just a few stares from each other. Layla ate and then pootled off so I let Luna out in her room.

It's not much, but it's little steps and I think i'll continue with meal times like this for a while  ;)

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
Re: Cat introductions - day 1 and 2!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 17:29:26 PM »
the first time poor Georgia saw Miyagi all her fur went up and she slowly walked backwoods right across the room, poor girl was terrified , mind you he was so furry he looked like a ball with eyes :evillaugh:
it took a few days to get them to play happily as she would swipe him but not to a serious degree, now he follows her around like a lost puppy so she likes to find escape no and again under a bed etc or different room when she wants alone time-she allows him to sleep near to her but not cuddled up, shes definately the boss :innocent:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Re: Cat introductions - Day 3!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 14:10:18 PM »
Oh thanks you guys!!!!

I went straight to the pharmacy and got some allergy tablets to take and ordered some Petal Cleanse as there's no way she's going back! I already have a steroid spray for my nose for dust/pollen/dander allergies!

I've just been home to check on her and she's fine - there were 3 massive poos in there as I think she's been holding them in! She's eating well and just wants to be cuddled and picked up  :Luv2:

Layla is behaving normally enough - she keeps watching the door and sniffing lots, but she slept fine and is fine in herself.

I did let them see each other today through a crack in the door which Luna was attempting to squeeze through. Layla growled a very small growl and hissed, but maintained a neuteral stance (sitting down with her back slightly facing Luna) and didn't go 'big' so i'm taking this as a good sign????

There are no hives this morning, but I have made sure that i've had long sleeves on! Her claws are terrible and will really need cutting, but she's not been using them for so long that it's no wonder!

I tried to get photos but all I got were noses, bottoms and backs of heads as she wriggles and loves the camera too much!

Hope this is all normal!!!!

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »
I had the same problem with Miyagi when i got him, i was really upset as my arms all came up and there was no way i as going to let my fluff ball go :Crazy: thankfully it did settle down . i do get it occasionally if im grooming him for a long time (half persian) but otherwise its nothing like when i first got him as my hands and arms had dermatits blobs and i convinced myself he had mange at one point (he didnt  :shy:)
I would do double checks for fleas though as Miyagi did come with some friends  :innocent:sadly so it may have been them that caused the allergy, now im on constant flea watch as although the house is covered in indorex, the cats are fully treated and flea free we still spot an occasional one after they have been out playing with neighbours cats and the hedgehog.
hopefully your rash is just an initial reaction though!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »
oh has allergies, if oscar catches him with a claw they do tend to go red and raised, think he must have dirtiest feet!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 00:19:04 AM »
I'd say carry on as you are as it's very early days yet and all the things you mention are perfectly normal  :)

Re: the hives, not quite the same but I'm asthmatic and when I got the boys I was really wheezy for quite some time (several weeks if not months) after getting them. I wasn't really affected by Tiggy and I remember thinking 'Oh my God I've got twenty years of this' but it seems my body soon got used to the different allergens they must have been giving off nad now I'm absolutely fine with them!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 13:57:17 PM »
Yes think you should continue with scent swapping until they both settle down, 2 days is nothing!

You make find that when you were cuddling she was slighly touching you with her claws and that has made little lumps come up where she has pierced your skin.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Cat introductions - day 10!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
OK well Luna is here!!!!!!

I confirmed that the kittens are actually 12 weeks old and have been seperated from her for around 2 weeks before she was spayed (they actually did it before we picked her up!)

Yesterday Luna just curled up under the bed in the spare room and didn't eat anything and just wanted to be left alone. Layla saw her coming in and her tail went really bushy, but no hissing!

In the middle of the night I heard Layla growling at the spare room door and pawing at the shadows she could see in the room. I comforted her a bit and she settled back down (albeit right by the door!)

This morning Luna is much more sprightly and wanted lots of cuddles when I fed her this morning. Layla saw her through a crack in the door and let out an almightly howl and hissed a bit and went 'big'! Luna didn't react at all.

So I put catnip and dreamies outside the door so that she associates the door with good things! She's now just keeping an eye on the door!

SOOOOOOOOOOO do I just continue to do this scent swapping etc? It's so tempting to just let them mix but I know I shouldn't!

Any other tips or advice?

I'm a bit worried in the fact that I was cuddling Luna and now my arm has little hives on it - I reeeeeally hope i'm not allergic to her!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 13:30:32 PM by wharfevalley catsprotection »

Link to CatChat