Author Topic: Cheapest place to buy WBCL and/or chick crumbs  (Read 11280 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Cheapest place to buy WBCL and/or chick crumbs
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 17:26:57 PM »
It's been a while since I've used WBCL but I recall it as being more yellow than the chick crumbs.  Home now so just been to have a look at the litter tray and definitely not grey!  :shify:

You and your garden centres  :briggin:

well they were also £1 a bag cheaper but they have recently put the price up so  now the same as pets at home.  But pets at home dont give me gardening vouchers, alas, so no contest as to where I buy from!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 14:01:52 PM »
no wbcl was much more yellow and brighter chick crumb is dull (who knew there was so much to it!)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 13:56:20 PM »
I used to get that as well, I'd vote for beige too, but I suppose one persons beige.......

I see WBCL as creamy beige in colour but this batch of Chick Crumb is ash grey in comparison, would you say they're generally similar in hue?

Doesn't seem to bother the cats   :need loo:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 13:52:06 PM »
I used to get that as well, I'd vote for beige too, but I suppose one persons beige.......

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 13:51:03 PM »
That's what I use but it isn't grey  :shify: They're more beige/sandy colour?.

I did wonder about that, Susanne  :shify: I checked I hadn't picked up the wrong bag by mistake, but no, it's def chick crumb, not poultry mix or anything else I can see on the website. I'll compare it with the new batch that's coming by delivery van (should be from a different store).

You and your garden centres  :briggin:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 13:42:16 PM »
That's what I use but it isn't grey  :shify: They're more beige/sandy colour?

Wyevale garden centres sell them too and you get gardening club points when you buy them so win win  ;D

I don't think they're as good as WBCL but they are good enough and cheaper.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
Found myself in Pets at Home on Wednesday on the way back from Kent because we'd run out of WBCL (my substituted wood pellets and other stuff from the supermarket just isn't cutting it for my fussy felines), but I spotted the D&H Chick Crumb and thought I'd give it a go .

I like it.  :)

Although it's grey in colour and a tad dusty, it smells clean and does the job. Now priced at £5.99 for 5 litres it's still miles better value than WBCL and best of all, the cats seem to like it just as much. :phew:

So I've just ordered another two bags on-line, and because I've ordered some bulk dry food as well, its free delivery.  :sneaky:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 17:17:20 PM »
Thanks everyone, I've just got back from the farm shop. I paid 12.44 for a 20kg bag. It's the same as the stuff on Susanne's link. They did have some cheaper stuff but it had things added.

I wasn't going to say what I was using it for but the woman started asking me if I gave the chickens a supplement so I had to admit that it was for cat litter. She obviously thought I was a bit mad and started showing me other things which she thought were more suitable like sawdust. I did ask about alfalfa pellets which I'd heard some people use. Anyway I think I left her feeling pretty confused. Ha ha.  :Crazy:     

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 15:31:57 PM »
The one I used to get from Jollyes was definitely OK. I don't think they even do a medicated one but it might be worth giving them a quick ring to confirm, you don't have to say it's for cat litter  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 15:16:37 PM »
When I buy chick crumbs I get dodson and horrell from pets at home.  probably a lot cheaper if you buy in bulk online but I usually just buy them when I'm skint (often!) and have ran out of WBCL.  The 5kg bags are £4.99 from PAH compared with about £11 for similar sized bag of WBCL (although WBCL is much cheaper online).  I went to buy some a few weeks ago and they had none so it was back to WBCL for me but I think I will buy a couple of bags this month until i can order some cheaper WBCL online.  I just buy the standard D&H chick crumbs.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 15:06:54 PM »
The Dodson and Horrell should be fine Hun but if you want to make extra sure give them a call, their number is: 01832 737 300
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »
Hi Helen

I've received a reply from one of the local suppliers to say they have some in stock. Is all the Dodson and Horrell chick crumb ok, no antibiotics etc?

Thanks

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 22:28:33 PM »
Thanks Helen and Sheryl, I've emailed a couple of local places that are listed on the Dodson and Horrell website, hopefully they will get back to me. If not I'll pop over to the local garden centre.

I'm in St Leonards on Sea, East Sussex.       

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 20:12:28 PM »
I use the Arco Chick Crumb and buy it from the local Garden Centre - they dont stock it as a normal line but order it in for me, my Mum and Sister are using it now aswell so they always keep 4 sacks in for us.  I pay £9.50 for 20kg

I phoned Arco to check on the ingredients being safe and they were really helpful - try your local Garden Centre or animal feed centre and if you dont see it ask if they can order it for you

What part of the UK are you in?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 19:26:22 PM »
Hi

I've just adopted two of the kittens I've been fostering. They are using wood pellets at the moment but I want to try to find something cheaper. I like the sound of the chick crumb but don't know the farm supplies in my area. I've been looking online but it's not easy to see if the chick crumb has other things added. Does anyone use these or know if they are ok.

http://www.farmgatefeeds.co.uk/product-detail/farmgate-chick-crumbs-plain-10-kg/pid1ea499c8-c83e-421f-a726-f6766ecc044c   

If not where is the best/cheapest place to get chick crumb at the moment.

Thanks

I would guess that they'd be OK as they say they are 'plain'. The only way to know for sure would be to give them a quick ring when they are next open or email them to ask whether there are added antibiotics in that particular one.

The delivery charge is reasonable if you buy in bulk (looks like you can go up to 30kg for the £5.99 charge) the sacks seem fairly good value at £5.69 for 10kg. I was buying a 20kg sack for around a tenner and that was a year or so ago now.

Do you have a Jollyes near you? http://www.jollyes.co.uk/store-search?store_locator.htm That's where I used to get mine from - 'Dodson & Horrell' was the make they sell.

If not then do you have any other Dodson & Horrell stockits near you? If there is one it's worth ringing them to check they actually sell chick crumb as they might not sell the whole range.  http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/stockists/stockists-locator.html

I think some garden centres sell them too.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 17:32:48 PM »
Hi

I've just adopted two of the kittens I've been fostering. They are using wood pellets at the moment but I want to try to find something cheaper. I like the sound of the chick crumb but don't know the farm supplies in my area. I've been looking online but it's not easy to see if the chick crumb has other things added. Does anyone use these or know if they are ok.

http://www.farmgatefeeds.co.uk/product-detail/farmgate-chick-crumbs-plain-10-kg/pid1ea499c8-c83e-421f-a726-f6766ecc044c   

If not where is the best/cheapest place to get chick crumb at the moment.

Thanks

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
I have started mixing in the chick crumbs and so far I am happy with them, ie neither Jaffa nor Mosi has noticed anything different (eg smell) and happy to use the tray with a mix of wbcl and chick crumbs.  The ones from pah work out cheaper than buying wbcl, even from zooplus, so for now I will use them and if everything goes ok, I'll then look into ordering some cheaper online.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:15 AM »
Are these ok from PAH?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/organic-chick-starter-crumble-for-chickens-5kg-by-organic-poultry-feeds-16197

I bought a small bag when I was there at the weekend just to try.  Too expensive for regular use but they were cheaper than the WBCL so I thought I'd get a small bag as a trial to see how we all get on with chick crumbs - I assume there's not a lot of difference between brands?  I thought I'd mix in a few with the WBCL and see whether the boys noticed any difference, and gradually replace the WBCL in one tray with the chick crumbs to test them out.

Not  many garden centres near me, Sheryl, but there is one fairly near.  When (if) I get the car back I will go there and check it out but I've not seen chicken feed there when I've visited before.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 21:16:37 PM »
Most Garden Centres stock Chick Crumb - I use Arco Chick Crumb and it costs £8.25 for 25kg
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
 :thanks:

I had a feeling there was another thread.  I think I will try ordering some Dodson & wotsit chick crumbs from the link on that thread as I've failed to find them in a shop at a reasonable price.   I love WBCL but it is so expensive I'd love a cheaper alternative if only to mix in to the WBCL to make it go further.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:41:18 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Cheapest place to buy WBCL and/or chick crumbs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 14:23:22 PM »
Never bothered with online retailers before as I've always ordered WBCL from zooplus, but I could do with stocking up with litter now but dont' think I can afford to put in a big order in for food like I normally do.  So I am looking for the cheapest place to buy WBCL online?  I've also failed to find chick crumbs in a shop so am now considering buying some online if they are sufficiently cheaper than WBCL.  I seem to recall someone recommending an online place for chick crumbs previously but I wasn't interested in ordering online then.  I am now!  Any recommendations?

Link to CatChat