Author Topic: Benevo cat litter and food  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Benevo cat litter and food
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 14:20:17 PM »
I dont agree with a veggie diet for carnivores but how many people are happy feeding go cat which really isnt much different! Even meat based cat foods are cooked super heated to such an extent that they are then fortified with the same vits/minerals these veg/vegan foods would be...

I was horrified when I realised how many dry foods are just 4% meat, I have fed these to previous cats (albeit with canned).  :( I don't think it should be allowed for obligate carnivores without being clearly labelled on the front of the pack.  It's lovely to watch Noah 'kidnap' and demolish a raw chicken drumstick or bits of offal.  :Luv2: Bizarrely it's cheaper to feed raw from a supermarket than any of the branded dry foods, it's also pretty easy as most offal is pre-cut.

That isn't to say everyone 'should' go the raw route as I know some cats don't take to it, I just think everyone should know it is an option. Such a shame some vets are still counselling against it when they could be giving a measured viewpoint (risks v. benefits). 
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 19:52:33 PM »
I think it's typically human that we try and place our moral values or personal preferences on an animal. But I don't agree with it at all. As Mark said, if you can't cope with feeding an animal meat you should take that into account and choose your companion accordingly.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 19:35:59 PM »
I dont agree with a veggie diet for carnivores but how many people are happy feeding go cat which really isnt much different! Even meat based cat foods are cooked super heated to such an extent that they are then fortified with the same vits/minerals these veg/vegan foods would be...

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 14:14:10 PM »
Since having Noah I have transitioned to a largely vegetarian diet at home: this saves money and eases my conscience in feeding Noah battery farmed meat.  :( At least with a cat or dog they can happily live on animal parts that Western humans do not generally consider edible, such as offal and bone. The primary ingredient of canned Bozita is lungs!  :sick:

The UK Vegetarian Society advises against feeding a vegetarian diet to cats, furthermore
"The feeding of vegan or vegetarian diets to cats remains controversial, even among vegan, vegetarian, animal, and scientific advocacy groups. According to the National Research Council, "Cats require specific nutrients, not specific feedstuffs."[8]. The International Vegetarian Union[11], the Vegan Society[12] and PETA[13] are some of the organizations that support a vegan or vegetarian diet for cats. The Animal Protection Institute does not recommend a vegetarian diet for cats[14], and neither does the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty (ASPCA) to Animals[15]. Vegan activist Joanne Stepaniak wrote "... If we [believe] that it is wrong for natural vegetarians to be force-fed meat, the inverse should be equally morally objectionable".[16] Not all animal advocacy groups take a firm position either way. The Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights (now Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association) accepts that it is possible for a plant based diet to be nutritionally adequate but stated that they "cannot at this time be reliably assured"[17]."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_food
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:55:26 AM »
I would never give the cats a vegi diet (and in fact I buy chicken every week for Molly) - I have a rat too, and found a company that does vegi rat food, I wont buy that either.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:19:48 AM »
I think it is plain wrong. Even if a cat could survive on the diet, it just isn't natural. I think if vegans have issues buying meat, the answer is to have a rabbit or tortoise for a pet!  >:(

Whenever I hear anything like this, it reminds me of Shirley Valentine when she is minding her neighbour's dog while they are away. The poor dog is fed a veggie diet so she gives it the steak that was meant to be for her husband's tea  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Benevo cat litter and food
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 23:38:32 PM »
I had £5 in my paypal account and needing cat litter and being skint I thought I'd see what was on ebay. I came across this Benevo stuff which claims to be as good as World's Best but cheaper and the feedback is all really positive so at £3 a bag and £5.60 flat rate shipping up to 10 bags I thought why not and have just ordered two bags.

Has anyone else tried it?

I did a google and there are a few places that sell it, all veggie/vegan sites and it turns out the same company does cat and dog food, veggie and vegan dog and cat food :Crazy: Now this I find extremely difficult to understand and agree with. I was veggie for 10 years but at no point would I have dreamt of putting the family cat on a veggie diet! I wonder what the long term health implications would be although admittedly I haven't checked out the ingredients. I just can't see that anything would replace the meat an obligate carnivore needs?

Link to CatChat