Author Topic: Want To Foster - Advice or Cautions?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Want To Foster - Advice or Cautions?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 18:56:55 PM »
Pauline at Wellcats in Quinton does a lot of good work.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »
Good on you for considering, the most important thing to do is make sure you have a space to isolate, even if they are going to be the only cat - if you get a stray cat, you want to make sure it is flead and wormed before being loose in your house, one room is much easier to treat than the whole house, and you might end up with a nervous cat who needs a small space to get used to things first, and it should be as cat proofed as possible, although they are very good at finding spaces you didnt think were possible - I have fostered for 4 years now, and the last lot of kittens got in spaces the others hadn't. You also have to be able to give them up, which can be hard, there are some cats that get under your skin that bit more than others.
Each rescue is different in what they will provide for, and how they treat fosterers. I have fostered for 2, and i prefer to foster for a smaller, lesser known charity, as they didn't have the set up, so I know I made more difference to cats with them. You have to be able to give them enough time on a daily basis, as well as the cleaning that they create.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 17:12:11 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,16943.0.html

See that thread for a few ideas, with no other pets your situation is good as you dont need to worry about isolating and the cat can have free run  :evillaugh:

When fostering you need to be able to give the cats up  ;)

www.catchat.org will list loads of rescues for you to have a pick of, if at first you dont succeed do try again and remember you wont always get an instant answer from people!

Offline Jennifer

• Adult Cat
Want To Foster - Advice or Cautions?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:29:28 PM »
Hello!

I've just been given permission by my landlord to have cats here, so I'm going to contact Cats Protection (Birmingham) or one of the other rescues around here, because I have a lot of love and no cats or dogs, and I'm home all day, so I think I'm in the ideal fostering situation!

Fostering is ideal for me because I don't want to own a 'forever cat' yet. I'm sure I could handle the responsibility, or I wouldn't be considering fostering, but I'm not ready to settle down with my own cat, if you know what I mean. I'd rather help cats who need a temporary home while they find their forever one. It would also help me gain more experience with cats (I currently have none other than Kitty the burmese who only lived until I was 10, she was 17) and allow my boyfriend to really learn what they're all about - he grew up with no pets and now loves dogs, but has no hands-on experience with cats at all.

It's also ideal because he doesn't want to assume financial responsibility for a cat yet but he really wants to help kitties who need somewhere to stay. He also likes the fact that CP (or other rescue) would be doing the rehoming, because for some reason he doesn't think I'd be able to part with a cat if I was rehoming it myself! :innocent:

So, basically, do you foster? Do you have any advice for someone who's interested in doing it herself? Any cautions, anything you didn't expect when you started, any recommendations? Do you foster for CP? Are they as good to their fosterers as it seems?  8)
Should I just go email them right now to get it started? :)

Link to CatChat