Author Topic: Another Litter Question  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
Re: Another Litter Question
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 22:13:18 PM »
I went into my local pet shop the other day to ask about chick crumb and he says the price has increased by around 30% in the last few months and is no longer the cheaper option and doesnt stock it.  So I bought some wood pellets which I hope to test out - I know my cat likes playing in his clean litter tray so hope that wont track like clay  :naughty:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 21:19:58 PM »
I have 13 times more poop/wee than that so deffo need to bag it. I'l keep searching  ;D

13?  Is there something you're not telling us MM  :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 19:22:29 PM »
I have 13 times more poop/wee than that so deffo need to bag it. I'l keep searching  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 18:37:48 PM »
Can't remember where I got them from, but there were pricey, and only about 20 in there  :-:

To be honest, if its been in there all day, and its a hard clump as opposed to a soggy-ish clump, I just put it in the bin as is ............. the bag is changed every other day anyway so doesn't get the chance to smell  :shify: ;)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 17:27:27 PM »
they go into the bin in a biodegradable nappy sack ..... sorted!

Where do you get yours clare? Im having trouble finding a pack that a) has more than 20 in it and b) doesnt cost me 20p a bag  :Crazy: 20 bags would last about 2 days  :scared:

I saw that celect litter in the CP mag, will look into that  :thanks:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 13:18:46 PM »
I would defo recommend Chick Crumb if you're currently using Worlds Best.

It is just as good at a fraction of the price, and even if you don't flush, its still much lighter, less smelly and of course biodegradable which has to be a good thing?  To be honest, I only flush poos, wees clump so well they go into the bin in a biodegradable nappy sack ..... sorted!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
I am sure I have read on hear that upstairs flats sometimes have probs with flushable litter cos it can cause blockages.

Hi Gill, I'm on the ground floor luckily!! :)

Beeder Celect is a recycled paper litter that is good

Thankyou I will take a look at link now :)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:02:12 AM »
Beeder Celect is a recycled paper litter that is good. You can get small bags from Pets At Home and big bags here http://www.crystalclearpet.com/shop/cats/litter/celect_buy.htm
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 02:32:58 AM »
I am sure I have read on hear that upstairs flats sometimes have probs with flushable litter cos it can cause blockages.

I agree that you need to stay with the litter they are used to to start with.

Mine all like wood pellets, normal ones that is. although the birmans came with some horrible clumping stuff which I hated. luckily they liked my other cats litter too  ;D

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 01:25:27 AM »
Oh I see, so it's kind of bagged up? Will have a look on Zooplus now.

I would probably prefer to flush though, or it would be a bit silly (to me) to buy flushable litter.

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 00:59:13 AM »
I had a look at that litter locker but didn't really know what it did. A container for poop sounds a bit icky!!

Well everyone has to make their own choices but there is conflicting information on flushing cat waste. When litters say they are flushable it tends to mean they won't clog your toilet not that flushing cat poop is necessarily safe and that all nasties are killed by the normal water purifying process before it comes back out of your kitchen tap. But heyho, we're not dead yet so maybe it's ok :evillaugh:

As for the litter locker, I have version 1 tho it's version 2 that is being sold by Zooplus. Mine sits near the litter tray and has a holder for the litter scoop, I open the lid, pop in the poop and turn the handle. Nasties are sealed away until I empty it which is once a week and involves no coming into contact with cat  :sick:, very easy, clean and smell free. With one cat the refills lasted me a couple of months.

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 00:39:57 AM »
Hi Puffball, I had a look at that litter locker but didn't really know what it did. A container for poop sounds a bit icky!! I think they are using WBCL at the mo, so i guess I might just have to buy that. It just seems so expensive though, when i'd really rather put that money towards quality food. I have emailed the rescue lady so i'll see what she says.

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 00:36:45 AM »
I use WBCL and while it seems expensive it lasts for ages. I sift a couple of times a day and clean the trays out every weekend but I only do a full litter change every 3-4 weeks and just top up in between. Having said that I've been very impressed by posts I've read on the forum regarding chick crumb which is apparently very similar to WBCL and a fraction of the price. I will probably try that out when current stocks run low.

However, if you are preparing for new cats I'd ask what litter they are currently using and stick to that for a week before gradually blending in your own choice; you'll want to make adjusting to a new environment as easy as possible for them  :briggin: As for flushable litters, even tho WBCL says it's flushable I choose not to. However I also live in a flat and find the Litter Locker great as it stores all the cat waste, odour free, until rubbish day (just google Litter Locker, Zooplus sell them)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 19:34:05 PM »
They hated standing on the non clumping wood pellets, Oko is more broken up so probably more like your average fullers earth in texture. Feels like it when i stand on it!

Their fav is the ultra fine clumping clay (zooplus' version is called golden grey). You cant flush this type but its good at odour control

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 19:28:25 PM »
Thanks Millys Mum - Glad you liked it. Is the wooden type litter harder for their paws? I don't know if it's true or not but I get the feeling kitties would prefer softer types of litter? I just wish Zooplus would stock more of a variety! They seem to have tonnes of other stuff but not much litter choice. Will keep on searching though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 19:28:53 PM by Cathryn87 »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 18:14:09 PM »
Flushable you have the option of chick crumb (poor smart mans worlds best) or cats best, thats the oko one isnt it?
I quite like that, its the only wood type my lot will pee on  ;D clumps pretty well and holds smell

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
Another Litter Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 17:12:45 PM »
Hello,

Ive been searching through posts in regards to info on different types of litter but wanted to post my own thread as well. I'd really appreciate your opinions of different types of litter, as it is the last thing I need to buy for the arrival of my two furballs. I've been recommened WBCL but it seems so expensive, and I'd prefer the money to go towards good quality food stuffs. I do want to use a flushable litter though, as we live in a flat and I'm conscious of smells. I *de-poop* my guinea pigs numerous times a day so I'm sure i will be the same with the litter trays lol. I've been looking at Cats Best on Zooplus and that comes highly recommened, anyone use this brand? I know lots of you use chick crumb but to start with I think I would like to use a regular brand and maybe try that later down the line.

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Cathryn x x x

Link to CatChat