Author Topic: Indoor Cats  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
Re: Indoor Cats
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 13:50:22 PM »
Yeah, we were livid and quite worried but it all came good in the end.

I did feel bad for the Virgin salaesman that called yesterday asking if we wanted to upgrade our package..."after the phone has gone down three times in as many weeks, the TV twice and the internet one, AND your engineer allowed our baby to escape, I think we'll leave it"  :shify:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 13:37:21 PM »
 :omg: what a fright! So pleased you found him so quickly - I would have been in bits :shy: I always shut mine in the spare room if I have workmen coming, despite being told some of them just don't understand the concept of 'please don't leave the door open'  :tired:

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 13:34:17 PM »
We bought a load of "cat net" to protect our two from escaping the balcony.   There was spare so we used it to 'frame' the windows so we can open them and the cat's can't jump out the window.  They're good as the net is quite discreet and the 'holes' in the net are big enough to let lots of air through.

£20 bought us loads of net and I spent another £10 on fixings etc.  Good if you're ok at DIY etc.

The only downside is the little one's escaping out the door...we had the Virgin engineer over to fix the TV and Phone and he left the door WIDE OPEN despite seeing we had two 6 month old kittens!  One escaped (onto a main road - the A2!) but fortunately he was smart enough to hide and after 4 hours of searching we found him....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 13:18:25 PM »
I have cataire screens, like the flat-cat ones they are stuck on with velcro - initially I was worried whether it would be strong enough so I ordered the turn-buttons too (they were only a few £ extra) but I needn't have worried as the velcro is super strong and there is zero chance of a cat being able to pull the frame off!

You can barely notice them when they're up and they still let 100% of light through. They're one of the best things I got both cat wise and spider wise as I have a serious spider phobia and had to keep my windows shut til I got these!

http://www.cataire.co.uk/

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
Yes I got one of these flat cats. they are cat proof (for my 2 anyway), and the velcro is VERY sticky.

I think you got extra velcro with them as well so you can swap one from one window to another.

My OH likes to sleep with the bedroom window open, and it was a godsend! The fella was very helpful on the phone as well. I thought we might need a custom one made, but he kept an eye out and sent us a slightly bigger standard one  :wow:

Not what you would call cheap, but very good quality

http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/

Emma x
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »

Hmmm, tricky. We have windows that only open a little way and then can be locked so the cats can't get out, it isn't as nice as having the windows wide open obviously.

I am sure somebody will post you a link re window screens as I know you can get some nets or something to put up at the windows but I don't know where from.

X

Offline angel1980

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Star and Angel
Indoor Cats
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
Hi
I have 2 indoor cats and was just wondering how other people with indoor cats stop them from escaping out the windows, Its not so bad in the winter but summer when you want to let some air in can be a nightmare.  I have safety catches on them which only allows them to open a little bit but even that gap is big enough that my cats can squish through  :scared: 

Link to CatChat