Author Topic: Why? - 'little presents'  (Read 2667 times)

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
Re: Why? - 'little presents'
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 05:53:04 AM »
I get gifts from Rosie all the time. Although she is an inddor cat, when I wake up in the morning, she has dragged the majority of her toys onto my bed, there has also been the odd sock, a teatowel from the kitchen and a couple of my Son's soft toys!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 22:13:41 PM »
Yes they stink when they are left just lying there and I found one recently and I think it was a new kill but room just stunk  :sick:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 20:43:53 PM »
I think one of the worst things is when the "present" runs under an item of furniture that isn't moved regularly then dies of shock. :sick: I don't know how many other people have encountered that problem in the the past, but we have and it isn't pleasant.

Someone once hid a dead mouse in my handbag. Spent over a week trying to work out why my clothes smelt so bad  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 12:39:40 PM »
I think one of the worst things is when the "present" runs under an item of furniture that isn't moved regularly then dies of shock. :sick: I don't know how many other people have encountered that problem in the the past, but we have and it isn't pleasant.

:sick: oooh pleasant
RIP Ebony, she's a good, she's a good, she's Ebony-zer good girl

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 12:28:27 PM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:30:22 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »
Its their instinct and hunting is fun.

Maybe she doesnt see or manage to catch many so when she does she is so proud she brings it for you as you are her special meowmy  ;D

I am afraid that Misa has brought in so many mrrooooows this year, thats what he calls them and if I say mrrrrrrrrrow he knows what I am talking about and starts searching behind things for one! To him they are just toys and when they stop moving they are boring and at least 3 have come back to life after he has left them grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I saved them but am sure he recaught them later  :'(

LMAO poor you lol

I don't think there are many little rodents around here or i'd like to think there aren't, nearly of them have been little voles you know the things with really long thin noses???

Oh I love her to bits though, i'd actually rather have whole littel furry creatures than have her brining spiders in - then we would have issues

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 23:36:09 PM »
Its their instinct and hunting is fun.

Maybe she doesnt see or manage to catch many so when she does she is so proud she brings it for you as you are her special meowmy  ;D

I am afraid that Misa has brought in so many mrrooooows this year, thats what he calls them and if I say mrrrrrrrrrow he knows what I am talking about and starts searching behind things for one! To him they are just toys and when they stop moving they are boring and at least 3 have come back to life after he has left them grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I saved them but am sure he recaught them later  :'(

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 19:15:14 PM »
I'm just grateful she doesn't bring me many presents.
Oh heavens can you imagine if Merlin does it too when he's older?
Hell I never thought i'd think of a downside to owning a cat  :-:

Jen

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 19:11:23 PM »
all cats have a strong hunting instinct, it is why they became domesticated in the first place. They also live a double life, according to most animal behaviourists. Their relationship with their human is a combination of kitten (give me food and cuddles) and mother (I will bring you food to show you I care). That is why they bring you prey that they have caught. I am sure we are all familiar with stories of champion mousers who lay out their catch on display for their owners.

It is in their nature, and not something that can be trained out of them regardless of how much food they are given.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Why?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 14:45:51 PM »
It probably a bit confusing to a cat that I'd discriminate between wild and domestic rodents, yes! :)

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 14:27:55 PM »
Ew Furbabies.. squeemish!
My neighbours cat, who thinks she lives here, steals our toys & takes them back home 3 doors down for presents. The latest to take home is a pack of scews in a plastic bag ~ of all things!

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 13:50:31 PM »
Nope, she's not telling you your a rubbish mummy! I think they catch these things and then think "Hmmm....I think I'll give this one to my human!"

I've kept rodents as long as cats, and my oldest tom (the only one that ever really got into hunting) sporadically brings me in a live mouse and lets it go.  :tired: He always looks so proud of himself too, like he thinks he's done me a favour by bring ing me another animal to look after!
He's probab;y totally puzzled thinking oh well he wants them in the house live here we go he can have another lol

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 13:43:26 PM »
Nope, she's not telling you your a rubbish mummy! I think they catch these things and then think "Hmmm....I think I'll give this one to my human!"

I've kept rodents as long as cats, and my oldest tom (the only one that ever really got into hunting) sporadically brings me in a live mouse and lets it go.  :tired: He always looks so proud of himself too, like he thinks he's done me a favour by bring ing me another animal to look after!

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 12:03:07 PM »
I get presents all the time. Flowers, berries, twigs, leaves, stones, feathers, lolly sticks and if im very lucky an old chicken bone i can use for a stew  :rofl:

well any of that would be preferable to a dead animal with or without guts hanging out

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:23:06 AM »
I get presents all the time. Flowers, berries, twigs, leaves, stones, feathers, lolly sticks and if im very lucky an old chicken bone i can use for a stew  :rofl:

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:51 AM »
It's their natural instinct to hunt which has little to do with hunger.  She's bringing you home a present  ;D

Not that i'm complaining but the presents only seem to appear occasionally????? Is she trying to tell me i'm a rubbish mummy not worthy of many presents - Not that I want the ones I get though i try not to offend her too much

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:13:42 AM »
It's their natural instinct to hunt which has little to do with hunger.  She's bringing you home a present  ;D

Offline furbabies

• Adult Cat
  • In better days
Why? - 'little presents'
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:12:20 AM »
Ok so any of my cats have always been fed well.

Ebony (RIP) would 'occasionally' bring home a present and leave it out on the patio slabs, rarely had she even marked the creature though it was definately dead.
There was the one time the little thing was torn inside out  :sick:

Now Missy there's only been one instance in teh last year and a half that she brought something home, unfortunately my little one found the errrm body and guts hanging
out before I did, luckily he didn't try and eat it, but I was still close to  :sick:

This morning she brought back a little vole like Ebony years gone by it was placed on the patio right near the doors, barely marked but definately dead.

Does anyone know why when cats are well fed and looked after they feel the need to bring little animals home, it's not even like it happens regularly it's only once in a blue moon,
(ok so I know i'm probably lucky)
But why? I must have built up a resistance to picking up the whole ones and disposing cause even that used to have me close to :sick: :sick:
I still can't do the ones thats insides have been ripped out and laid out for display (never actually seem to have eaten any of it)

(edited to add more informative title - Becca)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 16:10:41 PM by Rebecca (beccaviola) »

Link to CatChat