Author Topic: Fullers Earth cat litter?  (Read 9965 times)

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
Re: Fullers Earth cat litter?
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 07:53:26 AM »
thanks :)  I will ring them today and order some to try out.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 11:30:10 AM »
Yes chick crumb, not pellets though, crumb it looks like wholmeal breadcrumbs
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »
So chick Crumb is exactly that?  the chick feed?  Now I might try that, my feed merchant is sure to stock it!  but can someone just clarify thats what I ask for 'chick Crumb'?

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 15:53:08 PM »
I have a jolleys thats the only pet shop i have in my town

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 15:50:41 PM »
Where can i get the chick crum from? Hopefully somewere locally as atm im using PAH lightweight litter and it is  :censored:

LOL!  I get my local petshop to stock it for me, so its worth asking if you've got a nearby petshop. My 20kg sack costs just over £6.00. You can also get it at Jollyes if you've got one in your area, or animal feed stores, or online. Just ask for chick crumbs or starter crumbs.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 15:45:20 PM »
Where can i get the chick crum from? Hopefully somewere locally as atm im using PAH lightweight litter and it is  :censored:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 15:42:05 PM »
The one thing that makes me a bit 'hmmm' about using chick crumb is the waste aspect of it - it's a food matter, yes, specially produced/processed for the purpose?

Seems a bit wasteful to give it to our cats to wee on  :-: when we could use clay based stuff instead...

Its not specially produced for use as cat litter, its produced as food for chickens, by happy coincidence it just happens to be perfect as cat litter too! Its not wasteful either, well not in my house anyway!! every last bit is used - and a 20kg sack lasts ages even with 11 cats.

Chick crumbs? Whassat?  :-:  :-[

See above, its chicken feed, which can be used as cat litter, has the same clumping ability as the good clumping litters, but much cheaper.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 15:35:52 PM »
When i tried kitty my bridge babe with the wood based stuff she decided that she didn't want to use the tray and strated going behind the TV  >:(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 15:30:21 PM »
I used Fuller's earth years ago and found the tray very easy to clean, like people have said it turns to a lump off clay and is very
absorbant, just shake the tray and scrape out the wee, a bit messy though, and heavy  but then what litter is always kept in the tray :evillaugh:
I used to use Fussy Puss cat litter made from wood by product's (basically compressed sawdust) used to get it from a garden centre
14 mls away and cost £9:99 for a 30ltr bag, a new pet place opened in Fraserburgh about 3 years ago, and when I went down
they were selling 30ltr bags of similar stuff ( Premium Pet wood based cat litter, pine fresh fragrance :wow:) it is 100% bio-degradable
odour controlled, economical, low dust factor. and was only £6:29 when I started to buy it ;D but it is now sitting at £8:69 due to it
being very popular >:( but that is the price over a three year period, so it's not bad really....
P.S. you still have to get the hoover out every now and then, But I would definately recommend It  :wow:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 15:34:58 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 15:16:15 PM »
really I find mine only just outside the trays :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 15:09:54 PM »
I still find dusty corn prints on my pillow!  >:(

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 15:04:50 PM »
Environment or not the clay tracks horribly anyway :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 14:59:37 PM »
Clays even worse for the environment   :(
Corn is renewable whereas the clay dug out of the land never comes back, well only to landfill

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 14:20:59 PM »
The one thing that makes me a bit 'hmmm' about using chick crumb is the waste aspect of it - it's a food matter, yes, specially produced/processed for the purpose?

Seems a bit wasteful to give it to our cats to wee on  :-: when we could use clay based stuff instead...
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 14:17:01 PM »
Never used FE, but can defo vouch for chick crumbs as well  ;)

And you can flush it down the loo  ;D

Chick crumbs? Whassat?  :-:  :-[

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »
thanks everyone for your help, I guess the thing to do, is get some and see how we get on with it :)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 22:12:33 PM »
I use Wilkinson's Fullers Earth cat litter - works a treat here, no mess, no smell and can cope with Toby's ocean-sized wees. I'd really recommend it as a large bag (£1.59) lasts for quite a while. Yes, the bag does say "economy" on it, but it is surprisingly good.

Mind, my two have outdoors access during the day and use the garden for their necessities unless the weather is bad.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 16:17:59 PM »
(once the fireworks are over and done with). 

That'll be never then ! They go all year round now  :tired:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 16:11:37 PM »
As for Fullers Earth - I use this, and apart from being rather dusty towards the bottom of the bag, is a brilliant clumping litter.  I've tried other proprietary clumpers, but FE is by far and away the best IMO.

Yep, you've definitely not tried chick crumbs then LOL! I tried fullers earth years ago, and all the light versions of it too - would never go back to that again in a million years.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 14:30:25 PM »
Never used FE, but can defo vouch for chick crumbs as well  ;)

And you can flush it down the loo  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 14:05:28 PM »

As for Fullers Earth - I use this, and apart from being rather dusty towards the bottom of the bag, is a brilliant clumping litter.  I've tried other proprietary clumpers, but FE is by far and away the best IMO.

Its not better than chick crumbs :) :poke:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 13:58:16 PM »
It's always best to have a tray indoors, as it is a safe place for kitty to do business in.  Nothing worse than being caught with your pants down outside!  Some local cats can terrorise others using outdoor latrines.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 16:21:29 PM »
You could dig over a patch in the garden (in a private area!) and put some litter over the top and see if she likes that. I mix sand into my outdoor loo but they very rarely use it.
Its important to keep it freshly dug over without lumps or the neighbours garden will become favourite.

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 16:07:31 PM »
Thankyou for the replies... I would still provide a litter tray but wanted to give the option of either/or.  I do understand what you mean about being able to inspect poos/wees and its a good idea.   I didnt really understand how cats adapt to the change over of cat litter to soil, hence the question, it must feel so totally different when it comes to digging. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 15:08:48 PM »
It also keeps your neighbours happy happier. Some can get quite evil when it comes to cat poo in their flowers  >:(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »
I don't normally like fullers earth type litters, however a while ago I was cat caring and saw the owners litter, Fullers earth, I thought Oh! no, but I have to say it was wonderful no smell, no mess,  I have seen other people potss how good it is too. It was  Wilkinsons Fullers earth.

Im now going to start to get Kitty used to going to the loo outside in the next few weeks (once the fireworks are over and done with).

Cats Protection advise and it is a condition when people adopt that    a  litter  tray  is provided at all times  irrespective  of your  cats age  even if they are allowed out,   if  you  keep  an eye on what your  cat is  passing, you can spot many problems, e.g. cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment.  It is shown up if the cat uses the  tray  frequently and/or passes blood,  something you would never know if you didn't have a tray.

Last year it was necessary to have Trudie a long term CP cat PTS due to bowel cancer,  I would like to think that Trudie's untimely death has not been in vain as a lesson can be learnt from it, and that is the reason why everyone MUST always provide a litter tray no matter how old the cat and irrespective of the fact that it may go out. So many times I am told oh! I have no need for a litter tray my cat goes out now. Had Trudie no access to a litter tray the cancer would have continued to get the better of her and she would have suffered, she looked purrfectly well and  it looked like there there was no reason to take her to the vets,  the only reason we took her was because I noticed she was going into the tray more frequently than usual and there was blood on most pooos and drops in the tray. None of this would have been noticed had we no tray we don't know what  our little ones are putting in the hole in the garden,
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »
Its like a grey clumping clay when wet - muddy paws - definately.  It can be very dusty when dry.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
Fullers Earth cat litter?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:11:50 AM »
Im now going to start to get Kitty used to going to the loo outside in the next few weeks (once the fireworks are over and done with).  I used lightweight cat litter at the moment, but wondered about using more 'soil' type litter instead?  I just rang my feed merchant who supplies all things  LOL and he suggested fullers earth.  They sell fullers earth cat litter 25kg for £5.95.  does anyone here use it or used it in the past?  I wondered about how it went when wet?  will I have muddy pawprints?  LOL!!  or do you think its a good idea?  Im assuming its earth?  I have no idea!

Okay ignore me, it seems its clay like!!  LOL

Any suggestions as to using a more soil type cat litter?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:15:13 AM by coastalkitty »

Link to CatChat