Author Topic: Cats at night  (Read 9805 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cats at night
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 16:10:59 PM »
CCs harry is a grey tabby

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 16:06:46 PM »

Mmm do you think it could be something to do with the name? My Harry can do this too. Maybe the great Houdini is within them  :shify: lol.

Haha - Harry Houdinis - your Harry isnt Ginger too by any chance is he?

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 16:06:26 PM »
Thats the thing - theres a myriad of combinations of cat, owner, environment etc. There can't be one correct answer for all.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 15:49:16 PM »
I keep mine in at night but they are happy with that routine. My childhood cat spent 22 out of 24 hrs outside but we backed onto a paddock, overgrown hedges, stables and barns so he was pretty safe.

So as much as i think in at night is right some cats need different.

And yes i remember this last time round... :tired:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 13:43:25 PM »
Otherwise I'm kind of with Gill on this one. I think it's a personal thing between owner and cat and shouldn't become the subject of arguments/heated discussion. Cats weren't designed to be shut away inside, but they weren't built car-proof either. I have no qualms with anyone who keeps cats in or out as long as the cat is happy. The cat is the most important one to consider after all.

Agree completely.  :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
I have a mix of indoor only - my choice they have human issues yup its half of the ferals in our life and the others have all the priviliges that we allow but we have worked long and hard and I can say hand on heart it does depend on the cat - we have Amber who isa former feral and we tamed her and her brother down and homed them on at 6 months to be indoor cats - they came back to us 18 months ago and we kept them as indoor only - Amber was so good that she became our indoor cat with outdoor access but she didn't put a paw through the door for 15 months even if they were open, then one sunny day 3 months ago she ventured out the conservatory door and discovered grass and barked flower beds and she is now indoor/outdoor at neary 5.  She however still uses the litter tray in the house and comes in to do so!

Each to their own ours are happy and so are we and at the end of the day I have lost 2 to RTA's and the hardest thing was giving the others their freedom back but we did and I don't regret it

Rounding up 22 is enough at the moment for baby Sky!!!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »
The boys are indoor only at the moment, if they are ever allowed out they would definitely be kept in at night.  It's just another risk in this all too risky world that I'm not prepared to take.  All my previous cats have been indoor/outdoor, once they came in for their tea the catflap was locked and that was it until morning.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 12:05:33 PM »
Mine live indoors permanently. This is however because Josh's previous owner asked that this was the case (he was a divorce victim). Smokey has lived outside most of his life but part of our trial rehoming period was to establish that he would be happy indoors (I don't think it's fair to have one in one out).

Otherwise I'm kind of with Gill on this one. I think it's a personal thing between owner and cat and shouldn't become the subject of arguments/heated discussion. Cats weren't designed to be shut away inside, but they weren't built car-proof either. I have no qualms with anyone who keeps cats in or out as long as the cat is happy. The cat is the most important one to consider after all.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
Mines are indoor cats, and are perfectly happy this way :)

I let them out for a run around my grans garden recently and the 2 of them shot back in after a dog barked in another garden :evillaugh:

I would be worrying constantly if they did go out regularly, so having them indoor works for us all :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 09:33:21 AM »
My three have 24/7 outdoor/indoor access and the most recent 2 were used to outdoor access when they came to us. 

Over the years I have lost 2 cats to RTAs, both in daylight hours but, if it had happened at night time, my attitude is unlikely to have been different. We chose our current home with cats in mind so it is quiet although I acknowledge it isn't safe.

I want my cats to have the freedom to roam. I know 2 of them don't hunt (Tom 18 and Freddie has 2 teeth). Billy never brings anything home and I've not found anything in the garden so I'm hopeful he isn't a successful hunter either. Food also available 24/7 so maybe that's part of reason.  I fully accept that many on here prefer to restrict access to outdoors but it's not for me or my cats.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 02:30:24 AM »
I lost three of my cats in RTA,many years ago , but they loved going out and they lived a short but happy life,so still if my cat wants to go out i put thier happiness before mine and i let them out, i strongly believe its better to be happy than have a long and sad life?? Also out of the three cat i lost two were hit by a car in day light,of course at night is dark and there are the chance that people had a drink and drive faster  ,but careless drivers are on the road at all times :(. Had a neighbour who kept her cat indoor all her life and she used to sit behind the window and look at everything , and i always thought she looked sad because her choice of freedom was taken from her, and i have had rescue cats since which didnt like to go out ,they were too scared of outside, so i go with what they want :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 01:44:42 AM »
Mine are all in at night....They can go out through the day in the back garden cos its cat proofed  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 23:46:52 PM »
My cats are outdoor cats all the time, nothing is gonna change. Its right for my cats and thats it. I dont care what others do with their cats  as all cats are different and so are the areas we live in.

We all must accept that we will not agree and do what we believe is right.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 16:07:23 PM by Tan »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 23:29:34 PM »
Mine have the choice of going out, but generally only go out for about an hour before coming back in when it's colder weather. In summer, two of them tend to like going outside a lot more. The other two are indifferent any time of the day and seem to like coming out into the garden when I do.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 23:16:12 PM »
Harry, goes out at night, always has done, he can jump out of the safe fenced bit anyway,

Mmm do you think it could be something to do with the name? My Harry can do this too. Maybe the great Houdini is within them  :shify: lol.

I have a fear of everything you said there Pete, I dont think I could live with myself if I killed an animal, I would be a wreck!

I keep my cats in at night, well like I have said Harry is a right terror and gets out of the garden most nights I wait up for him but if its got to stupid o'clock and he is not back yes I will go to bed but this is not without worry, and I do have a young baby to get up for aswell  :shy:

All of my 4 are in tonight, even Harry  ;D I think little sir has realised to come home early or he will not get in  :tired:

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 22:30:13 PM »
my 2 are mainly indoor cats but we allow them supervised visits outside at weekends during the day and, in the Summer - such as it was! - we usually let them out for a couple of hours after we got in from work i.e. until it got dark and/or too cold to have the door open. 

I wouldn't feel happy if I didn't know where they are - even when they're out, I can usually see them as they don't go far, which I prefer and they're always popping back in to see us if they get spooked for any reason.  They really are a couple of wussy pussies  :evillaugh:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 21:47:20 PM »
I have always allowed my cats to come and go as they please. I could never get Nigel in at night even towards the end he still liked to sit on the door mat guarding his territory and he lived until he was eighteen.

The only time I ever locked the cat flap was bonfire night and new years eve.

I had a cat who got run over in the day time and unfortunately my other cat was the biggest menace to birds and small creatures again often caught in the day light hours, so I feel the risk is there whatever the time of day it is.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 21:14:15 PM »
I open the cat flap first thing in the morning after breakfast, then set it on 'in only' as I leave for work. With the nights drawing in now I don't let the boys out again when I get home, until the following morning.

From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 20:32:12 PM »
Liz, probably best to leave a few out at night - with that many cats, the oxygen would run out pretty quickly if you were all tucked up inside together!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 20:17:58 PM »
Whilst we endeavour to get the Clan Cats indoor/outdoor mob all 22 of them in at night we have a couple of former ferals who like to be outside despite our parenting wishes!

We do leave the utility room window open and have beds on top of the boiler and tumble dryer and both can be found there for their breakfast the following morning

Still winter is good for us as they all like the warmth and it makes the roundup easier!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 20:09:45 PM »
Bertie and Bella are always in at night ... Minnie is still adjusting to having a proper home after seven years living outdoors so spends about three nights a week outdoors, in my nextdoor neighbour's plant pot!  When I had a home check from CPL before adopting Bella, they said they had a policy of not placing cats with anyone who intended to put them out overnight ... not sure if that's the same for all CPL branches or just in my part of the world?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 19:57:54 PM »
Mine are free to go out in the safe fenced part of the garden at night via the cat flap, and quite often I'll look out there and one or two of them will be sat on a climbing frame just watching the world (and the bats  :evillaugh: ) go by LOL! Harry, goes out at night, always has done, he can jump out of the safe fenced bit anyway, and he lets himself back in too, sometime during the early hours!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 19:42:56 PM »
Mine are not locked in at night but never go far. They only go out the back. Willow rarely goes out at all and never at night. Clapton goes out for 10 minutes before bed and Kylie either sleeps on her garden chair or the bed, depending on how warm it is. They are just not roamers. I am careful they don't go out the front and lose my rag with anyone that leaves the front door open.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 19:37:23 PM »
My lot are NEVER out all night. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 19:02:01 PM »
We get Archie in at night and lock the cat flap. My last cat the beautifu lBiggles was a free spirit and there was no way he could be kept in. It broke my heart when he died in a traffic accident.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 18:38:57 PM »
Max goes out at night and pops back in a couple of times during the night for something to eat, or a wee sleep but as soon as bird song starts in the morning he's off again

he is a great mouser and and is the leader of the cat gang, most of the cats seem to tolerate each other round here and they know there boundries  :rofl:

so it took me a long time to be comfortable with him being out after dark, although I still listen for him coming in  'cause then I know he is ok.  

must add he's got loads of fields to roam around
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 18:23:35 PM »
I conciously don't leave them out overnight because of them getting into fights etc but they have occassionally,especially in the summer go through the flap at night but 90% of the time they are on the bed with us or up in the attic at night :Luv:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 18:17:00 PM »
Kitty is always in between 5 & 6 unless she refuses too then i really panick a few weekends ago she got stuck up a tree and noway could i get her down so me and my gf stayed up all night kept checking on her & as soon as it got light we went and rescued her.
As soon as she has been in for tea she doesnt go back out.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 18:13:52 PM »
except when they refuse to come home like my lovely smidgen...

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Cats at night
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 18:08:39 PM »
Road death is the single biggest killer of cats in the UK. You should see the state the driver is often in, having "caused" the death of a cat.

They are the forgotten victim of a 'free' cat running in the road. Many drivers just don't care enough whilst animal loving drivers can be mentally affected by what they have done.If you are a cat lover, just take a minute to think how you would feel if you killed a cat?

Often the cat is not identifiable. No collar or microchip. If identified or thought to belong to somebody, the owners had to have the damaged cat taken from the vet's freezer to be identified by the owner, often with their children present.

These deaths happen mostly at night. That is beforeother predators or hooligans are considered. Cats hunt at night and that is when their normal senses disappear as the hunt becomes their sole intent. Quite apart from the devastation to wildlife they eat and ingest animals who have been subject to human posions - rat poison, slug pellets, etc.

Oh and if that is not enough, the firework season gets longer and longer and louder and louder.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat