Author Topic: Hi-tech, ultra expensive cat toys...  (Read 11757 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Hi-tech, ultra expensive cat toys...
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 17:26:39 PM »
I never have straws in so wouldn't have thought of that.  Might 'borrow' one next time I'm in a cafe that has straws  ;D  Mind you, Mosi will probably eat it as he tries to eat most things, and that wouldn't be good.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 17:25:43 PM »
Lol brill pic Helen and a gorgeous subject of course  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 17:19:25 PM »
Never one to miss a photo opportunity  :evillaugh:

Riley about to take a straw!

A few day old straw in good condition for it's age  :evillaugh:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 16:54:11 PM »
My lot love straws  :tired: Guinness hides them in my daughter's bed  :evillaugh:

An old favourite is a hanky box turned upside down with the pingball/rolled up paper ball in it  :naughty:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 16:44:37 PM »
Willow loves the green caps off the milk. Not funny at 6.30am - she will knock it to the floor as many times as I pick it up  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 16:09:56 PM »
I'm going to try giving Memphy a straw later, bet he'll love one.

Riley wrestles the straws out of the plastic bit on top of the cup he loves them so much!   He goes wild if I hold the straw above him and tap it like you would tap a cigarette to get the ash off, he loves being poked with it too  :evillaugh:
You mean meowmy poking Riley .....  :shify: :shify: sounds like a fun thing to do with Memphy he'd love to be poked.
He's currently playing with one of those plastic plug covers (you know the things you get with new electrical appliances). Otherwise he's recreating the scene from Alien where those Aliens latch onto the faces of humans - in his case he's the alien and the dogs the human  :scared:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 15:59:07 PM »

Riley wrestles the straws out of the plastic bit on top of the cup he loves them so much!   He goes wild if I hold the straw above him and tap it like you would tap a cigarette to get the ash off, he loves being poked with it too  :evillaugh:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
In my experience favoured toys have always been rolled up balls of foil and ping pong balls, especially on laminate flooring!

Caspers favourites included plug holes, dripping taps, the phone cord (good for chewing to get attention) and bal point pens (all with lids on!).

Our 2 little rescues enjoyed the laser pointer I took with me the other day, but mostly it seems that we are the best playthings, they love climbing all over us!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »
I prefer dolly pegs. :) But not a lot of places sell them these days which is a shame.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »

His favourite toys of the moment is wallpaper (redecorating - so it's all over the place). He looooooooooooves bringing bits over for me to through and he can go fetch.
Also the lid off my bottle.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Hope so.

I have soft-grip ones that have the spring enclosed but I know you can still get old fashioned ones in Tesco - I haven't seen dolly pegs for a long time though (showing my age  :evillaugh: )

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »
Mark, you can get wooden pegs that don't have the spring. Maybe it was one of those?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »
A wooden peg was the best toy in our house last night.

I know this is a really old post but alarm bells rang when I saw it  :scared:

When I was very young, I was playing with a peg and chewed it. Somehow the metal spring got wedged in my throat. Luckily, our neighbour was a nurse and she did the Heinrich manoeuvre  :Crazy:

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »
2008 UPDATE:

McDonald drink straws - before I started my diet I went in and accidentally picked up a rather large amount of straws to keep the boys in supplies :shify:  They both go crazy for them, whizzing round the house with a straw in their mouth.  They last about a week before they are uunrecognisable as a straw and a replacement comes out!

Two of ours like those too.

Also the container that Kinder eggs come in is a favourite currently of our youngest.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:52:11 AM by J (Indoorcatsuk) »
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 22:06:24 PM »
2008 UPDATE:

McDonald drink straws - before I started my diet I went in and accidentally picked up a rather large amount of straws to keep the boys in supplies :shify:  They both go crazy for them, whizzing round the house with a straw in their mouth.  They last about a week before they are uunrecognisable as a straw and a replacement comes out!

Voile / net curtain panel
- I was trying to hang some voiles and one was too wide so needed cutting down to size.  The boys had a whale of a time sitting on it and chasing the scissors while I was trying to cut it  :doh:  The piece that was left over is very popular - it can either be draped over their head when they get all excited for a frenzied voile fight or placed over their favourite toys, they then have to 'fight' the voile to get the toys!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 16:36:25 PM »
Mine like to play with dried pasta and fresh peas but Lola eats the pasta and Taz eats the peas  :Crazy: i dont feed them you know  ;)

Riley ate the pasta in the end too, he was having a good old crunch on it - I suppose it's better for him than munching on bic pens  :innocent: :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 15:35:19 PM »
Mine like to play with dried pasta and fresh peas but Lola eats the pasta and Taz eats the peas  :Crazy: i dont feed them you know  ;)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 11:28:08 AM »
A wooden peg was the best toy in our house last night. Not quite sure how, but Polly found it under the sofa, she must have hidden it there from the last time! Anyhow she found it, had a quick chew and play, then raced off with it in her mouth to hide it in the tent, with the rest of her stash of various items! Obviously so Fergus couldn't get to it and nick it from her!

Also my slippers seem to be be separated and in various places around the house when I get home, upstairs, behind the litter tray ......

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »
The latest craze in my house is....

Dried Penne pasta!  I dropped a piece putting the bag away the other day and Riley went mad for it whizzing it around the kitchen floor, had to give Lukey a piece too so he wasn't left out  :evillaugh:

I like the sound of your feathery toys Ash  ;D

Offline Ash75

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »
Im glad this has already been mentioned, I never buy cat toys anymore.  I learnt this from my previous cat A.S.B.O (rip) bought him an amazing rat looking toy that flew across the floor and vibrated.. within 20 seconds it was shredded and never even looked at again or you Can spend loads on a fancy, attractive looking cat toy that they will just turn their nose up and walk away from. 
I love experimenting with stuff lying around the house, I dont have any children myself but plenty of niece and nephews that come over so  theres quite a lot of craft materials lying about. 
One of the best things Ive found to entertain the cats is a few peacock feathers with one of the oversized luminous pipe-cleaners wrapped around them.  They go absolutely mental over this, throwing it in the air, carrying it around, pouncing and stalking it.. and it cost literally nothing. Now thats a proper cats toy  ;D
Interesting to see what other people have come up with..
Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 22:59:01 PM »
Today's special...

A screwed-up trimming of greaseproof paper!  :rofl:

Offline Rogue

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 03:31:01 AM »
Squidgy's high tech toys are long bits of grass, bottle tops and anything that makes a rattly sound on the laminate flooring.

I've also been finding a high number of dead spiders and flies on the carpets in the house, no doubt after my little man has had a good game with them!  :innocent:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 23:16:26 PM »
Forgot to say - another popular toy here is the huge box the cat tree came in a year ago.  I kept it for a while thinking it would make a toy for Mosi but a year later I still have it in the hall (where it has the benefit of providing a barrier to the front door but also trips me up everyday) and they still play with it.  They like to play hide and seek with it  ;D  I think they play with that more than with the cat tree.

That takes me back about 15 years when we put a long cardboard box in hallway and created a "tunnel". Gandi and Tom used to spend hours chasing each other thru it

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 15:05:19 PM »
Mogs doesnt really do toys. I dont know her history but when I first got and tried to play with her she ran away. Over the years though Amber has been teaching her a few things. They now both like the cardboard box in the middle of the floor in fact Amber sleeps in it at night and not in her bed at the side.
Last week though I heard a strange noise in the kitchen and went in prepared to tell Amber off as shes started trying to get in the treat draw only to find Mogs batting a water bottle top around. Thing is when I left it it was on the draining board so I think Amber was involved somewhere along the line  :rofl: :rofl:
love
Tab

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
Fluffy doesn't really have any apart from the greta outdoors, he loves the big rad arm chair in the upstairs hallway but that's for sleeping..

Susie, as she's blind, seems to play with nothing, I think she hears stuff, and then thinks it must be right by her and then attacks thr floor bless her..

Sam's favourite toy is his own tail...

One of Cindy's favourite toys is also Sam's tail  :sneaky:.. When my mum was marking (she's a uni lecturer) Cindy decided that her favourite toy was the Student exam papers  :doh: teehee.. She also like to carry off and hide hair bobbles, I've lost loads in the past 2 weeks.. And I had been sorting out my old barbies from years ago to give away (yeah it's taken me way to long but I don't like to get rid of stuff) and i dropped a top or something, she's claimed it and likes to carry it around with her lol...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 08:01:54 AM »
Updated list of hi-tech, ultra expensive cat toys for this week:

Riley - a blue peanut M & M

Lucas - A curtain ring (have NO idea where he got it from)  :shy:

Both - The cat collar I bought to get them used to wearing one when they are bigger, it's no fun on -  but off it makes a great item to carry round the house in their mouth

It's a good job they are finding 'alternative' toys as so far they have lost 9 furry mice and 4 ping pong balls into a mystery balck hole  :Crazy:  I have checked under all furniture and have no idea where they can be  :shify:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:04:31 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 14:50:09 PM »
I third it, ping pong balls are a MUST  :rofl:

They make the most satisfying noise when they play with them in the kitchen hahaha.

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 14:25:43 PM »
I second that. Ping Pong balls rock Ozzy's world.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »
Ditto Blackcat, although i just ordered my kennel from zooplus  >:( i will go look at woof n whiskers just to annoy myself!

My lots fav toys are long pieces of grass, corks, tinfoil, ping pong balls and leaves  :innocent:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 10:14:58 AM »
HA! But there are 2 types of milk bottle style cat toys, sorry, rings. One is soft and chewable and a BAD idea. The other is tougher and harder and a continuous loop. Probably M&S methinks. Anyhow, yes, it is supervised play activity that.
I'm gobsmacked at the boxes allowed in the lounge days, weeks or months after they arrived. The cats and I have tried that, but Cat Dad is ferocious when it comes to not allowing it. He says the lounge is not a cat playhouse. It isnt????!!!  :Crazy:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 20:50:50 PM »
You really shouldn't be telling me this when I have just given my bank manager a heart attack at the sight of my order with Zooplus. 29 pounds free delivery. They should be paying me to deliver with what i just spent!!  :Crazy: :Crazy: And then there was Vetuk, and another little place called woofnwhiskas that I just discovered  :shoosh: - great cat toys and a dog kennel 10 pounds cheaper than at other sites.!!

What fun I will have unpacking this lot when it arrives!!

PS will save the boxes so the cats have something to play with .......................

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 19:43:15 PM »
Forgot to say - another popular toy here is the huge box the cat tree came in a year ago.  I kept it for a while thinking it would make a toy for Mosi but a year later I still have it in the hall (where it has the benefit of providing a barrier to the front door but also trips me up everyday) and they still play with it.  They like to play hide and seek with it  ;D  I think they play with that more than with the cat tree.

Here is Lexy's.... and it is still in the same spot 2 months later.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 18:52:51 PM »
I had a few expensive toys for Jasmine too, and by far the kittens favourite are 2 spiders on elastic that I bounce for them, a pack of 2 for 80p from Poundstretcher  :-:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 18:34:42 PM »
I used to let Mosi play with the plastic rings that come on bottles of juice etc (and on the tubs of litter I buy) until I realised he actually chewed them into small pieces and swallowed them!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 16:04:33 PM »
Glad to see someone else likes the rings around milk bottles. The ultimate Swampthrill, even at 15 yrs old, is the ring from around a big Boots aqueous cream jar :)

When Max was a kitten, he loved taking stuff (socks, nightie, T shirts) out of the laundry basket, put them in his mouth and drag them as 'kill' around the house between his legs, not letting anyone near without fearsome growls. He grew out of that one when he tried a king size duvet cover once  :rofl: (cats don't like being laughed at....and he got plenty).
The only expensive thing they love is the (in)activity centre. Not sure if that's a toy or a chair though really.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »
Mosi's favourite hi tech toy is the piece of plastic that hold the litter box filter in place.  He keeps pulling it out so that he can play with it.

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 10:11:57 AM »
Ozzy has many toys I have bought her which she just ignores. But her favorite home made toys are (in no perticular order)

Chasing her own tail
The bottom draw of my freezer (she loves to sit in the ice? wierd!)
My keyborad
any utlility bill (she loves to destroy my bank statements, what is she trying to hide)
my head at 4:30am everymorning!

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 21:45:08 PM »
Mines is -

* A cork from a wine bottle
* A big DHL cardboard box
* Cotton buds (Charlie keeps stealing them and hiding them around the house  :rofl:)
* And the bits and pieces from my table centre-piece (Most of which are now under the couch.)

The fridge door when opened is actually a new toy known as a Lukey magnet, he feels the need to hang of the freezer bit like his life depended on it - there is kitty milk in there after all   :evillaugh:

Charlie said that he likes the sound of that one Lukey  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 20:57:54 PM »
More things for  the auction ?  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 20:41:23 PM »
The destroyed fishing rod. Lexy's latest was pulling the mouse off the rod so she could play with the string.. forget the laser.

Link to CatChat