Author Topic: Appropriate use of weedkiller for cats  (Read 11029 times)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
Re: Appropriate use of weedkiller for cats
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 14:28:40 PM »
I use Resolva, its cat safe when it has dried on, so I spray it on after we have given the cats their last run out in the garden for the evening.

We have Marestail, weed, it is awful, and grows everywhere given the chance.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
I haven't use weed killer for some years now and just dig up as many as I can manage. 

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 19:11:24 PM »
I am too afraid to use chemicals,so just dig up any dandelions etc that i can manage.

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 19:00:44 PM »
I use Weedol and Roundup as we have more weeds than the Botanical gardens due to the rural location and the woods trying to invade and none of mine have had any reaction to these 2 after the spray has tried so no deviation from what works for us and I still have weeds and now mow the and strim to at least keep some of them neatly cut :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 17:48:22 PM »
I spray my weeds at night having rounded up my own inside mob and the ferals in to the garage and wendy house and after I have walked the dogs, I am the mad woman in the dark spraying weeds with a torch

Interested in what product you use Liz?

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 17:38:50 PM »
I spray my weeds at night having rounded up my own inside mob and the ferals in to the garage and wendy house and after I have walked the dogs, I am the mad woman in the dark spraying weeds with a torch
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 16:50:36 PM »
I don't worry to much  about the weeds, with everything else I have to do the garden is last on the list.

You can use salt sprinkled on the base of the plant it goes into the root system and kills them off.  For bind weed there are two ways of killing it that I know of, one with a chemical you have to paint on, so not good for cats and the other is to dig every tiny bit up or it regrows.

My current problem is Pimpernel being everywhere, but as the bumble bees love it, so  I left it in place and ornamental grass which has grown to 4 ft in height even with me cutting it back regularly.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 16:25:28 PM »
Am afraid I find it less worrisome just to hoe the weeds below the surface, rather than use chemicals - my lot are grass fiends so would potentially eat any blades with weedkiller on.  :scared:

The local council goes round with weedkiller on the roads and pavements here and this also worries me, as it always coincides with furball season when blades of grass become so very tempting  :drool;

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Appropriate use of weedkiller for cats
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 13:10:45 PM »
Hi all

I'm sure this will have been discussed before but I can't immediately find anything sensible.

I have some lovely raised beds which I've rather neglected over the past couple of years with the result that they are now full of bindweed.  I'd love to plant more lovely and useful things in it and get rid of the bindweed, but am afraid of using weedkiller because of my own cat and all the neighbouring cats who seem to spend so much time in my garden.  I've tried digging it up but have predictably failed.

It does say on the packet (stuff you dossolve in a watering can) I have that the weedkiller is 'pet and child friendly' after it's dried in.  So it it a case of weedkillering small patches of the garden in turn of a size that I can defend from the cats.  I also have a squirty one for the odd errant dandelion etc - haven't read that one closely yet but it is a standard proprietary one.  Although I do cultivate a few massive dandelion plants for the pleasure of my guinea pigs!

What does everyone else do on this front?

Link to CatChat