Author Topic: Trading standards taken our kitten because of a mistake  (Read 11562 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Trading standards taken our kitten because of a mistake
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »
She just looks like a very cute moggie to me. I just think you were unfortunate to get a jobsworth. Did you tell the vet that only the vaccine was imported but the cat was born here? - I would really be having it out with the vet.

Apart from speaking to CP and RCVS I would also take the matter up with DEFRA http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/procedures/support-info/vacci.htm

I would be making sure heads roll over this incompetence.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:01:57 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline mrwjg

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tinkerbell
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 08:21:12 AM »
We didn't actually pay anything for her.

I wouldn't know if she's a pedigree or not.

Here's some pics:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 21:53:09 PM »
What an awful situation to be in  :hug:

It's really all a big mess from a simple mistake and it seems as if Buckingham Trading Standards are trying to save face by not backing down.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, it's either lawful or unlawful to use vaccines purchased abroad. If it's lawful then I can't see how Trading Standards Buckingham can continue to hold your kitten.

I think Jasmine's suggestion is an excellent one, get the press involved - if you have kids or grandkids (or any child relatives!) then even better, poor sad children missing their kitten 'stolen' by ridiculous double trading standards.

I really hope you can get this resolved and soon, for the sake of the poor kitten stuck in quarantine when she should be with her loving new family if nothing else  :(

Just out of interest was this a pedigree kitten you purchased? I'm guessing so as it would be unusual for back street breeders knocking out moggies to care enough to vaccinate them.

Offline mrwjg

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 16:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, that's right the Polish owner bought the vaccine over the counter in Poland and administered it here.

The cat is from a litter of 3 and the fact that they're saying it's 1 rule for one county (Luton) and another for Buckingham is not right.

Trading Standards Luton informed the previous owner it was not illegal to use those vaccines she bought in Poland - that's why they said she could keep her cats.

It's really all a big mess from a simple mistake and it seems as if Buckingham Trading Standards are trying to save face by not backing down.

It would be worth trying to speak to the legal department at Cats Protection head office to see if they can give any advice. http://www.cats.org.uk/?gclid=CJjk7NqH3aUCFVBO4Qod5zXH1g I know it is sometimes difficult to get through to large concerns. I am a volunteer with a small branch. If you don't have any luck, I have heard that the head of CP is coming to our branch xmas social on Saturday so maybe we could ask him.

So it sounds as if the breeder just used vaccines imported from Poland? - I'm not sure if that is legal or not. I know they are regarded as POM (Prescription only medicines), although they aren't really drugs?

I would also speak to RCVS. I'm not sure if any vet had the right to take your property (cats are regarded as property) without your permission.

I can't get in to RCVS website right now but it is worth trying them.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 16:45:08 PM »
What a terrible and extraordinary situation to be in. :(

I can't offer much advice I'm afraid - only perhaps you should make this as public as possible by contacting your local papers, TV/radio stations, MP etc.  (It might at least serve as a warning to others seeking a cat/kitten from places other than a reputable rescue organisation - sorry if that sounds harsh.)

I really do hope you get the matter sorted and your kitten back soon.

Please keep us updated.
 :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 16:27:48 PM »
i think on the continent is is fairly common for people to do vacs themselves, I know mil used to in Italy, you can buy them over the counter

That's what I thought - it sounds like the breeder vaccinated the kittens here on the cheap by using her own vaccines?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 16:34:16 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 16:26:27 PM »
i think on the continent is is fairly common for people to do vacs themselves, I know mil used to in Italy, you can buy them over the counter

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 16:25:56 PM »
It would be worth trying to speak to the legal department at Cats Protection head office to see if they can give any advice. http://www.cats.org.uk/?gclid=CJjk7NqH3aUCFVBO4Qod5zXH1g I know it is sometimes difficult to get through to large concerns. I am a volunteer with a small branch. If you don't have any luck, I have heard that the head of CP is coming to our branch xmas social on Saturday so maybe we could ask him.

So it sounds as if the breeder just used vaccines imported from Poland? - I'm not sure if that is legal or not. I know they are regarded as POM (Prescription only medicines), although they aren't really drugs?

I would also speak to RCVS. I'm not sure if any vet had the right to take your property (cats are regarded as property) without your permission.

I can't get in to RCVS website right now but it is worth trying them.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 16:25:30 PM »
I dont understand this at all,  how come the vaccinations are Polish ?,  surely this means they must have been done in Poland which means the cat has travelled and would need to be in quarentine ?  or am I missing something ?   :hug:

Offline mrwjg

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 16:21:20 PM »
General advice....

This situation is wrong.

We are being punished for a simple mistake and they are not being fair.

what sort of help are you looking for financial or legal?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 16:18:58 PM »
what sort of help are you looking for financial or legal?

Offline mrwjg

• Kitten
Trading standards taken our kitten because of a mistake
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 16:15:18 PM »
Hello.

I hope you can help with this situation....

We got a kitten a couple of months ago from a Polish lady - I assumed the cat was Polish as the vaccinations were Polish.

My girlfriend recently took our Kitten to the vets for a checkup and gave over the paperwork - She told the VETs the cat was Polish.

The vets said they would need to quarantine the cat because it's illegal....

We then contacted the previous owner and it was understood that the cat was british born and only the vaccinations were Polish - Trading standards (Buckingham) were now dealing with it and they refused to allow us to have our cat back and they said they had suspicion it was imported (even though ourselves and the previous owner confirmed it was not).

Recently trading standards (Luton) visited the previous owner who has the cats mother and possibly the remaining litter - trading standards told her it was not illegal to bring in a vaccination from Poland and she was allowed to keep her cats.

Trading standards Buckingham have said they do not have to follow what Luton does....

Either NONE of the cats are quarantined or ALL of them are.

This seems extremely unfair and Buckingham Trading Standards appear to be trying to save face and not back down.

They are either trying to extort over £2000 from us for the Quarantine or force us to put our new Kitten down for no reason other than we made a mistake when taking her to the vets.

Can you please help?

Thanks

Will

Link to CatChat