Author Topic: widow-in-battle-to-keep-her-27-pet-cats  (Read 9534 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: widow-in-battle-to-keep-her-27-pet-cats
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
Someone has kindly sent me the article as my work pc won't let me access it.

I have to say, 27 cats in a 3 bed semi seems excessive and I wouldn't want to live next to her, esp as they are not all neutered.  Her comment about neutering being expensive makes  me wonder whether she can afford to feed and care for them all if she can't afford neutering.  From the info in the article, it sound like a case of hoarding to me.  Whether she's taken in strays or deliberately acquired them all, it sounds like she's lonely since her husband died and it has all got out of hand.  As to the comment re seeing some of them being born - it doesnt say whether the 6 un-neutered ones are all of the same sex, but if not then I think we can guess where those kittens came from! 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »
I can't access the article - anyone know of another link?

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »
i do try and feed mine best quality but there is only so much I can throw away. So we compromise on Whiskas or felix wet and orijen (though still on science diet provided by C4).

When i have bought supermarket brands in the past they have walked away with contempt so tbh don't even try them any more.  :Crazy: If I could find a cheap food that they would eat, I would as i think most of the branded foods are pretty similar.

I do have to admit they are eating the Bozita but I remember having a lot of it before and they lost interest then so can only feed every so often.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:55:43 AM »
As already said, she probably doesn't know about neutering vouchers so hopefully a rescue will help her out there.  But the suggestion in this thread that only being able to afford supermarket own-brand food is, in itself, a failure of basic care which makes someone unfit to keep cats...  :Crazy: :rofl: :Crazy:

Personally, I care about the long term health of my cats, so feeding them a high cereal, low meat diet full of colourings and preservatives is out of the question. There are better quality foods that don't break the bank but so many don't bother to do their homework.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:47:19 AM »
As already said, she probably doesn't know about neutering vouchers so hopefully a rescue will help her out there.  But the suggestion in this thread that only being able to afford supermarket own-brand food is, in itself, a failure of basic care which makes someone unfit to keep cats...  :Crazy: :rofl: :Crazy:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
This story makes me wonder whether strays have turned up at her home and she has fed them and they have stayed.  It is easy to be judgemental with this case and not know all the facts.  When I was fostering for CP and must hasten to add had no outdoor pens I would quite often with my own cats have a total of 20 cats in my home, so that was 7 cats of my own and 13 CP cats and kittens in the house.  Mine were mainly elderly, had a medical or a behaviour problem such as aggressive through the way they had been treated or being young kittens from a feral colony.  They mainly came to me until they could be tamed down if feral, the elderly and ill would be forgotten about and the food, vet bills and cat litter supplied, when I say forgotten about they never actively looked for homes for them.

As to her seeing some of the cats born I would say that she maybe had a pregnant female turn up and could have been something like the Roxy situation in another thread.

With out the full facts it is so easy to judge a person and at least all the cats are being fed being it on shops own brand or not.  Suppose I am also one with low standards as my food bill for the cats alone for food not including cat litter or food for my dogs comes to £31 a week, as some of my cats won't eat certain types of food.

Example have one that will only eat As good as it looks or Simply, another that will only eat Whiskas supermeat others that look disgusted if you feed supermeat to them and will only eat chunks in jelly or gravy. 

I think if the lady has difficult coping to feed them all the council should assist in trying to find them suitable homes with rescues (work with rescues to try and find them forever homes) and move them from the lady as and when a home is found and also assist with getting the ones neutered that are not when they are old enough to make sure that they don't continue to breed.

I think there is a lot more to this story than is actually being told.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »
They do look it good nick but I suspect the lady does not know help is available for neutering. The article says she has stated neutering 'is an expensive business'. I think she could do with a few vouchers.  ;)

I'm in two minds... she obviously dotes on them.  :) But I am not sure she has the resources to provide timely and adequate vet care.  :scared: I would not be in favour of removing any, but I don't think she should gain any more.  :doh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »
how are we to know the other 6 are not kittens?

I am going by the article Kirst although, as I said, it's very likely to be unreliable

"the eldest, a 13-year-old tomcat called Felix, down to the youngest, one-year-old tortoiseshell Fluff"

The article also says that she had 5 cats when her hubby died 5 years ago and now has 27.  Yes she needs help.  I hope it's forthcoming and that she accepts it and that she gets the others neutered asap to stop her numbers unnecessarily increasing further. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:32:54 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
I`ve seen hundreds born but I havent allowed them to breed, afraid Purrs is becoming very judgemental of late.
I guess Mark you would class me as having low standards.
That poor woman is surrounded by people who have misjudged her and gone as far as to get outsiders to sign the petition,sorry not going to add anymore too angry.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 09:13:48 AM »
Apparently 21 out of 27 are neutered - how are we to know the other 6 are not kittens? Is it not possible she took in a pregnant mum? I agree she needs help , but  I feel sorry for her and think it is unfair to condemn when we don't know the whole story.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »
We have 6 cats and 1 demon kitten with 4 trays and one of them a jumbo tray. They are used to a greater or lesser degree depending on the weather  :innocent:.   I regularly clear up cat poo outside and keep areas freshly dug to encourage them to use our garden.  3 trays is clearly not enough for 27 cats.

I can see that this lady's neighbours should show concern for her welfare but she too should return the favour.  She should make every effort to lessen the impact of her cats on her neighbours.  She should neuter and spay those that have not been done as a matter of urgent priority.  I cannot in good conscience support people who end up in this position due to not neutering.  However I'm sure the news report is not a full and true account of this story.  They never are and I certainly don't believe it's possible to feed a cat a decent diet for £1 a week.  Just nonsense.  If that's all she spends on food, what on earth happens re vet care?

Having said all that, I certainly hope she gets and accepts some help to allow her to keep the cats if the alternative is pts  :( 

I do hope CP are in contact with this lady re neutering.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
Maybe - but I would still rather they stayed with her then were euthanized - as that is what will happen if they are taken away. We all know there is a huge shortage of rescue space and do you really think the council will bother trying?:'(

Incidentally I spend the same as her on catfood for 4 cats! I think my boys may be a bit spoilt! :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 22:36:00 PM »
She said she saw some of them born - so it is probably that her fault they exist in the first place. I'm sorry but care includes proper vet care and decent food. With 27 cats, the odds are that at least a few of them need vet treatment they are unlikely to have. I would be interested to know if they even get frontlined and wormed. They didn't look bad in the picture. I guess different people have different standards.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 21:11:29 PM »
I have 2 trays for 5 cats - and they are hardly ever used , they all go outside given the choice. I never believe what is written in the papers (especially the Star! :Crazy:). Ok so six are not neutered , but I wonder where these 27 cats would be without this lady?Not everyone can afford posh cat food - that does not mean her beloved pets are neglected - they are obviously loved ,which is more than a lot of cats out there!

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 19:54:13 PM »
Defintely a mad catlady and not in a good way. So each cat costs just over £1 a week to feed - I'm sure they eat supermarket own brand rubbish at best. I'm sure vet treatment is non-existent  :tired: - I have 4 trays for 2 cats  :Crazy:

Well I think shes doing a wonderful job, and could teach a few people some lessons. Whatever she is feeding those cats look great and are obviously loved, my only concern would be that provision has been made for them when she dies.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 19:28:06 PM »
Defintely a mad catlady and not in a good way. So each cat costs just over £1 a week to feed - I'm sure they eat supermarket own brand rubbish at best. I'm sure vet treatment is non-existent  :tired: - I have 4 trays for 2 cats  :Crazy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 19:20:35 PM »
I like the comment - 'she knows them all by name' !! as if its some big deal. Mind you I call mine the wrong name sometimes, so can't talk really lol!

£30 a week on food? that doesnt sound a lot for 27 cats really, and as you say Angie, only 3 trays! yikes!  :Crazy:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
widow-in-battle-to-keep-her-27-pet-cats
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 17:39:40 PM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/11/08/widow-in-battle-to-keep-her-27-pet-cats/

mind you 27 cats and 3 trays? :Crazy: :Crazy:

not pleased that they are not all neutered

she does have some good support from the comments
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 17:40:50 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Link to CatChat