Author Topic: Cataire screens, any members have them?  (Read 10440 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Cataire screens, any members have them?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 17:58:39 PM »
I am thinking of getting these as I'd love to be able to open windows but can't with Mosi around.  I worry that the velcro won't be strong enough too as it takes a lot to be Mosi proof.  How active is Riley with them now, Helen?   I wouldn't be leaving them unattended so I would be able to keep an eye on Mosi, but he can be a bit of a lunatic and probably would throw himself at them if he saw something fly past outside.

Don't be worried about the velcro, there's 10cm on each corner both upright and horizontal so 80cm in total. I am struggling to pull them off to open and close the window and there is no way a cat would be able to get them off! I just bought regular velcro from Halfords but if I remember rightly the stuff it came with originally was just as tough.

As my screens were made smaller there were a few offcuts of the mesh, I tried to rip a bit off and couldn't do it so the strength of the mesh isn't questionable either. If he's a climber then I'd probably go for the aluminium mesh though as climbing can cause pinprick holes whhich could lead to bigger rips.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 17:43:12 PM »
I am thinking of getting these as I'd love to be able to open windows but can't with Mosi around.  I worry that the velcro won't be strong enough too as it takes a lot to be Mosi proof.  How active is Riley with them now, Helen?   I wouldn't be leaving them unattended so I would be able to keep an eye on Mosi, but he can be a bit of a lunatic and probably would throw himself at them if he saw something fly past outside.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 17:21:55 PM »
Yes i did order, quite easy to make except getting the rubber in the frame, the tool was useless so i used a screwdriver  ;D

Does your Dad approve of them?  :sneaky:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 17:11:13 PM »
Yes i did order, quite easy to make except getting the rubber in the frame, the tool was useless so i used a screwdriver  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 16:23:36 PM »
Did you ever get round to ordering these MM?

This thread inspired me to dig my old ones out of the garage and pester my sister to make them smaller for me. She did them yesterday and I got the velcro sorted and put them up today - it's cold and wet but out of principle I've got all the windows open and am delighting in the breeze after 2 years of the windows being permanently closed :hot!:

Riley was checking out the breeze too  :)

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 17:51:39 PM »
I am in the same boat as regards to spiders -i keep the windows closed too -but they still get in somehow (maybe because the door is open all day for these lot !!!)
I nearly had a heart attack tonight as a great big one (the size of Aragog in H.Potter ) ran across my kitchen floor -i jumped and screamed and frightened poor Fifi who was having her tea - luckily when i jumped i landed on it , which made me jump even more and made me feel :sick: :sick:

I had the shivers for ages after and now i bet i have nightmares over it .

You have me shivering just reading your post - the S...... word  :Nooooo:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »

FF, have you looked at the channel method? I cant picture your windows but they sound a possibility

I will Google it. :thanks:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 13:34:32 PM »
Lol i'l see what he thinks when they arrive before making a story, i tried the old burglar story when mentioning cat proofing  :sneaky:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 13:31:20 PM »
Aah, makes sense then. You could sell the downstairs idea that it woukd stop any opportunist burglars as although they could remove the frames with a bit of effort they wouldn't be able to hop through and steal that wallet from the kitchen table whilst ypur Dad is upstairs using the facilities  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 13:25:50 PM »
I will buy the kit as it will be a perfect fit  ;D

Its for upstairs windows to start with but if my dad approves it would be helpful for downstairs, although my lot go out they are far from free roaming, they are in when it gets dark but in hot weather my dad wants windows open for longer.This causes arguements as i flatly refuse for them to be out late  :evillaugh:
Chicken has her walking jacket but doesnt go out yet like the big cats so it will help to stop her falling out/escaping!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 13:18:18 PM »
The sample of the aluminium mesh I have (presuming that they haven't changed it) is silver, so uncoated. Are you going for a kit or buying the bits separately?

Out of interest MM, how come you need screens if your lot go freely outside?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 13:12:01 PM »
Is the aluminium mesh black like the fibreglass mesh or is it uncoated?
Iv printed an order form  ;D

FF, have you looked at the channel method? I cant picture your windows but they sound a possibility

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 01:49:43 AM »
My windows are tilt-and-turn opening either inwards at the top or like a door depending how you turn the handle. That can leave a dangerous V shaped gap, but luckily two windows are in such a deep reveal Noah couldn't get close, two others are side by side so if I open both he cannot access the V either. Before Noah I'd open the windows wide on hot days but that won't be happening without him trapped safely in another room as I am on the second floor! :Crazy:  I've looked at a few systems but can't work out a way of affixing the panel - outside is too high up to access and the frames are metal so I cannot drill into them. Inside of course the windows open inwards. Meh, who'd have a flat!  >:(
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 21:57:42 PM »
I might go down this route

http://www.windowparts.co.uk/Winkhaus-Window-Restrictors.html

we used to fit them at the firm I worked years ago, for child safety, takes two hands to override them
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 21:41:30 PM »
I can confirm the velcro comes off completely with a bit of effort! My frames were shiny wood and I managed to get all the adhesive from the velcro off, even if it took a bit of picking on some patches.

almost all glues will succumb to acetone (nail polish remover) hot soapy water or olive oil which is best depends on the glue but any of these wil help if youre having trouble with adhesive.  * nail polish remover/acetone will damage any solvent based finishes tho so not for use on wood polish!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 20:46:13 PM »
I can confirm the velcro comes off completely with a bit of effort! My frames were shiny wood and I managed to get all the adhesive from the velcro off, even if it took a bit of picking on some patches.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 20:30:32 PM »
Iv asked the companies if the velcro leaves any kind of permanent residue and they all claim it can be cleaned off  ;D

It definitely doesn't block any breeze, I've just found the sample he sent me of the aluminium mesh and the holes are the exact same size so breeze blocking wouldn't be an issue with that either  ;D
Thanks, think he just isnt impressed with yet another cat related request and tries to put me off  :evillaugh:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 20:12:59 PM »
I have the type of windows that push out at the bottom and they are a total nightmare! They open 1/4 inch or 4 inches and the first week they were in I looked up to see Amber with 2 feet on the window, 2 feet on the sill and her head down the gap and as I live 4 floors up I really panicked. I asked them to put the windows in upside down but thats not possible it seems. I looked into screens but if I damage the windows or frames in any way Im liable so I cant stick velcro on and according to my council 1/4 inch gap is enough for anybody  >:(
I now have blinds and 2 fans and sit and sweat  :censored:
I hope you find a way
love
Tab

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 19:51:01 PM »
It definitely doesn't block any breeze, I've just found the sample he sent me of the aluminium mesh and the holes are the exact same size so breeze blocking wouldn't be an issue with that either  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 19:44:37 PM »
Thanks helen  ;D my dad reckons such a fine mesh wouldnt let much of a breeze through, is that right?  :innocent:
The aluminum isnt much more per screen so think i'd go for that option. Tabitha uses the units we have in a similar mesh material for scratching on and i wouldnt trust chicken not to climb up them  :evillaugh:
I will have to go for velcro for an easy option, no way will holes be going in the frames  :scared:

Rob, my dad had an idea of cutting wood to size, painting white to match and then fixing that to the window frame with something he knows he can remove (not sure what that was as like helen im not a great diyer!) he could then drill in the wood and use the turn screw method...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 19:03:34 PM »
Might be worth emailing him to ask if there's a solution to your windows, like I said he was very helpful when I was asking all sorts of questions about my windows as had four windows to make screens for with different sizes, openings etc

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 18:45:20 PM »
Yes saw that thanks :) but very loath to drill holes in my windows as it destroys the chambering system set up in the profile [the plastic cross section the frames are made from]

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 17:14:26 PM »
Hmmn, sorry Rob - I'm DIY dyslexic so have no idea what you're even talking about, let alone whether it's feasible  :shy: They do have 'turn button' methods of locking, this link might answer your question http://www.cataire.co.uk/index.php?area=content&page=technical-details

If not, the cataire man was very friendly and helpgul when I was emailing him to see whether they would be suitable for my windows. I had to take pics of the windows as I'm rubbish at explaining things - I need to use my hands  :evillaugh:

Lottie, the window you describe sounds like the window I had in my front room. In the pic with Riley in the air you can see the window is slighty open with the screen attached.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 16:33:44 PM »
could these units be used to fit inside the open recess of the window, i.e. wedged at the top between the sash and the frame and at the bottom by the locking points?

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 15:16:43 PM »
OOOO I think these screens are exactly what I am after for the kitten room as it's got a window that you open the handle at the bottom and push and it tilts out (but doesn't come in at the top) so leaves a gap at the bottom and up both sides so I have to have the window shut all the time so the kittens don't fall out of the window so the kitten room is rather toasty to say the least.
I'm going to drop them an email and see what they come up with cost wise for my window as none of the sizes they have up will fit. I'd definately need the aluminium mesh for my loveable little hooligans  :evillaugh:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 00:54:23 AM »
Here's a few of the screens on their own, I took them down temporarily when Lu started to have his little fetish for climbing them. It made my heart stop when the window was open and he was hanging by his claws from the mesh  :Crazy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 00:52:00 AM »
Thanks Bungly, have a brilliant image in my head just before bed now  :tired:  :evillaugh:

MM, I've been through my photos and I did take pics for my Mum... of the windows without the frames  :Crazy:

Anyway, here's a few with the screen in the background. Sorry but too tired to upload to photobucket  :tired:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 00:47:07 AM »
I am in the same boat as regards to spiders -i keep the windows closed too -but they still get in somehow (maybe because the door is open all day for these lot !!!)
I nearly had a heart attack tonight as a great big one (the size of Aragog in H.Potter ) ran across my kitchen floor -i jumped and screamed and frightened poor Fifi who was having her tea - luckily when i jumped i landed on it , which made me jump even more and made me feel :sick: :sick:

I had the shivers for ages after and now i bet i have nightmares over it .

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 00:19:25 AM »
I have them although haven't put them up in this house as they would need adjusting to my windows - my solution now is simply not to open the windows as I'm petrified of spiders coming in the house in any case so they're locked shut even in the height of summer  :summer 2 :

The mesh I have (standard fibreglass mesh in black)  is fairly tough ie if he skidded on the windowsill he wouldn't go through it BUT it doesn't stand up to cats climbing up it very well  :evillaugh: When the boys were around 6 months old (so as heavy as an adult) Lukey climbed up one and it had pinprick holes from his claws, nothing serious enough to compromise the mesh but it would have been if he'd carried on climbing them.

If you have any climbers then I'd defo go for the aluminium mesh but it is slighty more obtrusive I believe than the black mesh. I'm sure they sent me samples of the mesh to look at when I emailed them.

Mine were secured with the velcro to frame method, I was worried that wouldn't be secure but it was very strong stuff and no way would they come off with velcro on all four corners.  As I said, they're not up in this house so can't take any pics but will see if I have any old pics from before, I'm sure I took some to show my Mum when I first got them.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Cataire screens, any members have them?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 20:50:44 PM »
Im looking around at window screens but find alot of sites dont show very good pictures  :shify: if anybody has cataire screens is it possible for you to post pics?
Also how tough is the screen material as there are different options, none look tough but i havnt seen in the flesh. Have visions of taz skidding along the windowsill and out the mesh  :scared: he has no control with hairy toes and shiny wood  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat