Author Topic: Pedigree vs Moggy  (Read 10832 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: Pedigree vs Moggy
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 20:46:21 PM »
While I do admire the looks of many pedigrees my heart lies with moggies. In rescue, there are so many unwanted cats- both moggie and pedigree that personally, I don't really agree with breeding. I do think there needs to be some breeding because it would be tragic for the breeds to die out but it needs to be more carefully regulated and monitored as there really are a lot of dodgy breeders out there. I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment but my personaly feelings are that cats are animals, living creatures and shouldn't be money making machines! I would absolutely love an Egyptian Mau if I were to have a pedigree cat but can not see how they would be anymore amazing that my moggy babies who are just wonderful in any way. If I were to ever have a ped, it would come from a rescue also. I personally, having been volunteering in cat rescue for a while, never have a cat who wasn't a rescue as I see how much homes are needed.

In terms of the comments about rescues, it does depend on the individual rescue's policies so please don't tar us all with the same brush! I would say that generally, each case is judged on it's own merit and most rescues I know of will always try to find a suitable cat for the home but sometimes, it's just not what the owner is wanting. I certainly wouldn't describe having the cat's best interests at heart as OTT. There will always be a good reason for refusing a cat. As our policy, we never say 'no cat' (well it would be an exceptional situation) but we may suggest a different type of cat to what they are after as it's what would suit the home. I would also recommend that if people have a bad experience from a rescue, that they go and visit another as there are so many deserving cats that need homes. If of course, people are advised against having a certain type of cat by more than one rescue, they should perhaps consider whether the cat they want is best for them.

Again, these are only my opinions and as this can be a touchy subject, I don't want to rile any feathers!

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 20:17:46 PM »
Out of my four only one is a ped. Lirael is a burmese we rescued from a breeder. Lirael had cat flu and the breeder wanted her gone asap. The breeder also lied by saying she had been giving Lirael meds and that she was getting better etc. We got Lirael home but had to take her to the vets the next day as she was sneezing with green stuff flying out of her nose.

I had attempted to go through a rescue before we found Lirael but we lived on a busy road, and they wouldn't allow cats to be homed as indoor only. There was also a comment made that because I'm American I may wish to take the cat to the states which is too much for a cat to handle.

I don't think my husband would allow me to have another pedigree cat as Lirael is more than enough ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 20:12:24 PM »
It can be a touchy subject this.  :evillaugh:

I think if you do opt for buying a pedigree, you really do need to do some research. There are so many so called 'pedigree' breeders producing from genetically flawed bloodlines, plus breeders producing 'cross' kittens - basically an accidental mating or a cheaper stud.  :tired:

There does have to be some pedigree breeding or breeds would die out, but there are so many cowboys out there it's hard to find the good guys sometimes. I would love a british blue at some point as I love the look of them, but my conscience over all the homeless strays and fear of buying a poorly bred one is unlikely to ever let me buy one.  :tired:

A cat grows up the way it's brought up irrespective of it's parentage. Kittens are not born grumpy. They turn that way with rough handling and bad experiences.  :tired: The most loving, gentle cat I ever had was a big old stray Tabby tom I took in that I found half dead with fight wounds and abscesses. I fixed him up and kept him. He became my 4 year old's baby and she would dress him in babies clothes (we cut a hole in a babygrow for his tail to poke through) and share tea parties with her on the lawn, then afterwards she would stick him in her dolls tram and push him up and down the garden for hours. He looked a prize plumb in his frilly bonnet and bootees but he loved the cuddles and attention so much he put up with it and never once complained.  :evillaugh:

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 17:43:38 PM »
I live in a one bedroom first floor flat near a busy main road, and after research felt I could offer a home to an indoor cat or cats.

I contacted local rescues, who wouldn't let me take on a kitten or pair of kittens, because I was out at work all day. They wouldn't let me have an adult cat because they didn't have any indoor only ones, and felt it wouldn't be fair to try and keep a cat used to going outside, indoors. I accepted their decision as best for the cats concerned.

So I ended up going the pedigree route because in my reseach on indoor cats, I'd come across Singapuras, who seemed to tick all the boxes as far as I was concerned; small, friendly, people oriented lapcats, who were well suited to being indoors as long as they had plenty of places to climb, and remained playful throughout their lives

I contacted the Singapura Cat Club, who advised me to get a pair of kittens if I was out at work all day, as they are very sociable little cats. They assured me that my flat would be a large enough territory for two of them.

I finally acquired my two boys from a very loving breeder, who asked me as many questions and more as I did her! I was sent off with a goody bag for the boys,  a sheet of what they ate etc, a contract that said if I had to give them up for any reason they must be returned to the breeder,they were fully vaccinated and insured, the poor woman was virtually in tears as she said goodbye, and has only been a phone call or email away in the four years since.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 17:29:05 PM »
My own cats are moggies. That's not to say I don't like pedigree cats, but I've never actively sought out one.

I think that (and this is just my opinion, not a slur on anyone in any way) I don't feel that currently there's a call for breeders due to the sheer amount of pedigree cats as well as moggies needing homes in rescues.

With regards to the comment about temperament, all my cats vary wildly (and that includes my bridge babes) in personality and tolerance levels. Although I'm lucky and have never had a cat be actively aggressive to a youngster.

I don't think one is better than the other but we have "tampered" less with the genetics of the moggy and my personal preference is probably geared more towards them.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 17:22:24 PM »
I have three cats, which fall into three categories:

a Russian Blue bought from a breeder, and fetched from quite a distance away

an opportune rescue, when the cat next door was not being treated properly

and finally a planned rescue, where I approached a rescuer for a cat seen on CatChat

I have now had two Russians, and would want another, because I love the breed, but if I continue to have three cats the other two will be rescues
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
Pedigree vs Moggy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 16:33:04 PM »
My 2 are pedigree's purchased from breeders. I particularly wanted bsh due to their easy going temperament (I have 3 children!)  plus I like the idea of having a full history of my cats and the knowledge that they have been given the best possible start in life.

I have enquired about rescuing a  moggy in the past but was told that they didn't rehome to families with young children. I know that rescues do try to consider the cats welfare as paramount but I'd be keen to hear your opinions on whether their specifications can be just a little OTT or not.

I'd also be keen to hear thoughts about whether you think breeding and selling pedigree's is inturn denying rescue cats a new home? I like to think that they are two separate markets but having just got a rabbit from an animal rescue I was surprised to see the number of kittens they had there (15 I think!)

Any ponders very welcome x

Link to CatChat