Author Topic: What's your cat called and why??????  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
Re: What's your cat called and why??????
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 20:39:12 PM »

I think Willow  looked beautiful in all the pics you posted i would have loved to have seen her in the flesh, I do have a soft spot for black cats. She looked a beautiful elegant girl and Willow is such a sweet name, Dont think you could of had a better name for her

Ditto and naturally I am bias towards black cats also  ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 20:32:36 PM »
awww  :Luv2: :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 20:20:58 PM »
Thanks  :)

We loved her anyway.

I only ever made one little video to show her eating as she was such a dainty little eater  :Luv2: - I wish I had done more.

What an elegant little girl Mark. It is nice you have a video of her. So sweet  :hug: :hug:
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 20:12:50 PM »
The ones we have now:

Gomez and Morticia - we were phoned just before Christmas to ask if we still wanted the last two kittens the RSPCA fosterer had - despite it being 23rd December!  We said yes (of course) and spent that evening thinking up pairs of names.  Those two stuck - and they suit them very well.  Think the Addams family films - Morticia is graceful and elegant, Gomez is smart and handsome :)

Baldrick - started out as Gruesome because one eye was sticking right out, the other was swollen too and only his mother (and me) could love him ;)  Changed to Baldrick because his breath was bad enough to kill you at 20 paces - Baldrick from the line "Baldrick, have you been eating dung again?"

Ellis started out as Spare Cat, then "Is that little sh*t still here?" then LS - then Ellis :)

Hedge Cat (at the yard where I have my horses) was called that by someone else and the name stuck.

Trouble - I used to say "here comes Trouble" whenever she turned up as she'd devour everything in sight - that name stuck too.

Crouton - I kept calling him Cretin because he's a bit daft, he's very nervous still (possibly because as soon as I could catch him he went off to the vets to be neutered....) but thought, I can't call a cat Cretin so Crouton was the nearest ;)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 19:55:21 PM »
It takes me ages to come up with names for pets, always has done since the childhood hamsters!

Chilli - Because she was a little bundle of fiery energy as a kitten. She once launched herself onto the leg of a housemate without warning when she was tiny. He leapt about 10 foot in the air and the rest of us couldn't stop laughing. She's not so feisty anymore, in fact she's a super laidback softy and nothing fazes her but the name still really suits her.

Dave - This started about 10 years ago when an ex's mum got a house bunny. My ex wanted to give the bunny a comedy name, such as Dave or Bob and it always stuck with me that it would be a funny name. Fast forward ten years and this little bundle of fluff came to me as a FTGH or he gets booted out advert. About a month down the line I just couldn't settle on a name then my gay neighbour had a barbecue and there I was, 5 glasses of red wine too many later surrounded by a bunch of queens when we started talking about naming the kitten. I mentioned Dave and it just stuck. He really really suits it and everyone loves it. Plus, I love the confusion it can cause when people don't realise you're talking about a cat :evillaugh:

Oh and Dizzy, who lives with my Mum in happy retirement, was named by my brother as she had no control over herself when she was a kitten and would just fly into furniture and walls all the time.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 19:35:16 PM »
My Bridge Baby was  originally called Brutus, we decided to give him a good Roman name as Gladiator had just come out, so being a big cat, he became Brutus Maxipuss, Max for short.

Not sure where the name Poot came from, we discounted loads of names and Poot just seemed to fit!  It was always one of Max's nicknames and it seemed appropriate, and he certainly suits it I think  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 19:34:32 PM »
Thanks  :)

We loved her anyway.

I only ever made one little video to show her eating as she was such a dainty little eater  :Luv2: - I wish I had done more.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 19:30:59 PM »

I think Willow  looked beautiful in all the pics you posted i would have loved to have seen her in the flesh, I do have a soft spot for black cats. She looked a beautiful elegant girl and Willow is such a sweet name, Dont think you could of had a better name for her
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 19:34:51 PM by puggy1975 (Zoe) »
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 19:26:43 PM »

This was her waving me goodbye a couple of years ago when I ran a B&B  :Luv2:
She was a tiny 2.5kg bundle of energy.

i love that photo Mark, if thats not as good as real life, she must have been jaw droppingly beautiful in the flesh! and i can well believe that  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 19:16:18 PM »
Many of mine came with their names (some of which I changed, some I didnt) For instance, BB was called Baby (not a name I'd have chosen and BB sounds similar to her I'm sure!) and Lacie was called Lucy - simple reason for changing her name - I already had a Lucy! Milly was called Muppet originally  :shocked:

The persians that came as kittens all had pedigree names that don't relate much to what I ended up calling them LOL! for instance Snushee Red Romeo is just my Sam, Snushee TeddyFreddyGo is simply my Joe, and Snushee Blueby You is my Ben. However, Snushee Lovable Lucy - is of course Lucy! Moonmariner Gwyngala is little Gwynnie or more usually Tootie or Toots to me  ;)

Then the adopted adult persians who already had names I kept,  include Snushee Dizzy Dreamer (Zeta), Snushee Champagne Suzy (Suzie) , Snushee NaughtybutNice (Gypsy), Snushee Hooligan (Jasper) and Farandawy Sugarpie Honey (Honey)

Harry was called Conker when I adopted him from CP 13 yrs ago  :shocked: and George has always been George  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 19:09:29 PM »
Without thinking, I was going to post about Willow although she had to be PTS last week  :( - I can't miss her out. I don't think there was a special reason other than OH liked the name. She was called Lucy at the rescue in Paris where she was adopted from.

Willow must have been a very beautiful girl to have been given such a beautiful name x

She was beautiful in the flesh but never came out well in photos  :(

This was her waving me goodbye a couple of years ago when I ran a B&B  :Luv2:
She was a tiny 2.5kg bundle of energy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 19:10:24 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 19:07:50 PM »
Ollie and Tyler are names after Ollie and Tyler in the TV programme My Hero, my OH got the inspiration of the names from that
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 18:55:09 PM »

Jack - embarrassingly, named after my favourite tipple; Jack Daniels. Although, it did suit him a great deal and when he got older he became "Cap'n Jack" thanks to the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

More embarassing still is that one of my 5 year old twin boys (non feline variety!) is called Jack Daniel for the exact same reason! Incidentally his twin is called Harley David....I'd had a lot of drugs when they were born  :evillaugh:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 18:39:02 PM »
erm not alot of thought in mine actually  :shy:
Lucifer- he was a stray and his first night (when i was still kidding myself that he wasntg going to stay) he wouldnt let me shut him out of the bedroom and then proceeded to walk back and forth across my face all night purring like a tractor and pawing my hands.  after about 5 hours (and numerous less nice names my sleep addled brain told him that he was lucifer sent to try my patience, which made me giggle which made him purrrup and it stuck. Hes ginger which confuses alot of people (who expect him to be black) and vets usually go " ooohhh is he viscious then"  and then have to remove the cuddlemonster from their shoulders! hes usually called lucifer-kitten, lucifer-mittens or lucifer-cretin at home and gets called in by luey ( not lucy  :P )

Sparecat- again a stray whose owners i was trying to find (ha! that workd well!) and cos she was staying in the spare room someone joked was she my spare cat for emergency use? id been trying lots of names for her but nothing seemed right and  this just amused me to much and noone ever forgets it! the vet wouldnt allow it on her records though- " its mean, shell think shes not loved" at which point i explain that her english is not so good  :evillaugh: so shes officially Kali (not from indiana jones! nicked from tiggys mum here on purrs and pronounced by me as Kally not carly as i knew too many people at school named carly who were mean-apologes to any Carlys here!) she is also known by porky and pudding when shes mithering me and baby girl when shes being a sweet little madam :Luv2:

My bridge babe, Scamps was named by my slightly odd mother because he scampered  :shocked:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 18:22:12 PM »
Carrie - when I got her I was very much into horror films and Stephen Kings "Carrie" was one of my favourites.

Sage - so named in keeping with the tradition of using names of herbs when a tabby comes into the home....

Astryd - a Norse name meaning "divine beauty." (slight spelling difference because we preferred it this way.) My partner chose this name and it suits her immensely.

Darwin - named after the naturalist because we thought his quirky ear might be an evolutionary step in some way. ;)

Feline Bridge Babes.

Jack - embarrassingly, named after my favourite tipple; Jack Daniels. Although, it did suit him a great deal and when he got older he became "Cap'n Jack" thanks to the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Parsley - named by my sister in law after she found her in a carrier bag in an alley as a kitten. The name came from the programme The Herb Garden with the character "Parsley the very friendly lion."

Toby - named after the baby in Labyrinth. Which was and still is, one of my favourite films.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 18:22:53 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 17:29:57 PM »
Without thinking, I was going to post about Willow although she had to be PTS last week  :( - I can't miss her out. I don't think there was a special reason other than OH liked the name. She was called Lucy at the rescue in Paris where she was adopted from.

Willow must have been a very beautiful girl to have been given such a beautiful name x

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 17:18:17 PM »
Boopy- it's her pedigree name and I couldn't think of anything that suited her as a pet name so she is just Miss/Madamoiselle Boopy. She is also known as Boopette as that is what her breeders called her as her affectionate name whilst she was over there  :Luv:

Minxy Moo- pedigree name Sunrise Sunset but she has been a little Minxy Moo since she was born so it just stuck

Pinball- pedigree name Pinball Wizard so he is known as Pinball which suits him well as he tends to be bouncing off the walls.

Orion- Pedigree name Snow Patrol. Is called Orion as I was trying to think of a pet name for him (like I found with Boopy it is so hard when you haven't met the cat!) and I narrowed it down to a couple of names I liked and the good people of Purrs helped me decide. Orion was a giant huntsman so it suits him well as he is a going to be a very big boy when he's fully grown as he's from huge lines. Just hoping when I meet him that he 'looks' like an Orion as I can't really change his name at 11 months old  :evillaugh:

Other than Boopy everyone else has pedigree names that are songs/bands as that's the theme my kittens get named after (upcoming litter will be after The Who songs as their Daddy is Pinball) ;D

Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 17:13:03 PM »
Kylie - Daft but I was just running through names and it amused me  :evillaugh: (She was called Minty when I adopted her from CP in London)
Clapton - He was called Clapton when OH adopted him from SNIP (Society to Neuter Islington's Pussies  :evillaugh: ) - Apparently he was found as a stray in Clapton Road in Hackney.
Alice - No Idea as she came to our branch (Canterbury CP) as a long-term stray. I keep meaning to ask Sharon who named her. We considered changing it but it suits her - although we call her Al, Ally or Alice Palace usually.  :shy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 16:55:30 PM »
Memphis .... I wanted something unique. Was bouncing around music related themes when I got stuck on Elvis -  I didn't want Elvis as its quite common so then brainstormed things Elvis related. Got to Memphis - Home of Elvis and where Graceland is. It's also the home of Blues and Rock and Roll which I love. Plus it's in Tennessee and I looooooove that state - so beautiful  :Luv2: When I got him I'd not long got back from there. Plus it follows on with the 'M' theme.

His name is very personal to me and very well thought out .. it took me weeks to come up with a name. It suits him SO much and I can't imagine him being called anything else.

Trouble is I'm so tempted to name any further addition Nash - after Nashville  :evillaugh:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 16:54:47 PM »
Trigger came with Boycie, successors to Cushty
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 16:51:11 PM »
Well Mogs came from the rescue called Enid which I couldnt cope with. I spent about a week trying names and saying things like well mogs we're going to have to find a name and found she answered to Mogs.
Amber is just because I took one look and said ooh shes got amber eyes.
love
Tab

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 16:43:53 PM »
Blip is a rescue cat and came from there with her name.  If you look at my avatar, you'll see the little white blip under her nose.  It's not the name I would have chosen but it's unusual and it suits her, somehow...

Our vet opined that she was lucky not to have been dubbed 'Snot'.

:rofl:

@ Sam (Fussy_Furball) - Am loving the reasoning behind Zephyrs name  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 16:42:19 PM »
Both of our oldies Byron and Pepper came with their names  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 16:38:07 PM »
Foxy ... so called cuz she looked like a little fox cub when she was a baby.

Zephyr (as in "warm wind") ... need I say anymore  :sick:

Rossi (full name Rosina) as in Rosina Watchmeister .... all the cats in her pictures are torties with ½ and ½ faces just like my little terror  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 16:33:38 PM »
Blip is a rescue cat and came from there with her name.  If you look at my avatar, you'll see the little white blip under her nose.  It's not the name I would have chosen but it's unusual and it suits her, somehow...

Our vet opined that she was lucky not to have been dubbed 'Snot'.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
What's your cat called and why??????
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 16:17:09 PM »
I was just curious as to what made you all decide on your cats names? I know the reasoning is sometimes more obvious than others!

Layla was originally going to be called Leia as in 'Princess Leia' from Star Wars (the first choice of my male dominated household!) but when I first saw her the name just didn't seem to fit. I liked the name Lola but the OH preferred Layla in homage to the Eric Clapton/ Derek and the Dominoes tune. I figured I best let him have his own way on something seen as I'd got my own way in us getting another cat in the first place!

Marley was named after Bob Marley. On the breeders website he was described as a 'black smoke boy' which planted the idea of the name and it stuck but thankfully suited him perfectly.

We had only had Marley for 3 weeks when he was diagnosed with a severe case of ringworm. The vet prescribed him a really toxic type of tablet that had to be administered daily and it was an absolute nightmare as Marley hated (and still does!) tablets. It broke my heart but we returned him to the breeder for a month so she could see him through the course of tablets and try to make him well. Mean time I had to disinfect my house from top to bottom so he wouldn't be re infected. We went to collect him 4 weeks later and I remember really stressing incase he caught it again as it was awful for him with all the baths and meds and having to be confined to just the kitchen, like wise it was awful for us having to hoover and disinfect everywhere twice a day! Marley looked much improved on the meds though so we popped him in his cage and headed back to the car. We'd left the radio on in the car and had been listening to radio 1. For those of you unfamiliar with this station it usually only plays current chart music. You can imagine the surprise when as we belted up, the strains of Bob Marley's '3 little birds' came wafting over the air waves - on radio 1! The lyrics 'Don't worry about thing, cos every little thing is gonna be alright' couldn't have been more fitting, and you know what?..... everything really was alright. Yes Marley still had ringworm but we changed vets who prescribed an alternative non toxic treatment and it worked! Yes Marley has had a load of problems since but I just think of that song and I know we can get through any thing with him.

Perhaps there is more in a name than meets the eye afterall..... ;)

Link to CatChat