Author Topic: How much cat fud do ya waste??  (Read 10021 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: How much cat fud do ya waste??
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
Oscar (rip) LOVED the carp pellets - but they did turn his furballs the most appaling colours! :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:20 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 00:41:47 AM »
No waste here, the girls are furry hoovers and will eat just about anything. When we were on holiday OH's mum left some fish pellets out (basicly crushed fish) and they helped themselves, also spread the ones they didn't eat all over the hall! Having polished off their dinner in 2 seconds flat, they have just helped me with the roast chicken I couldn't finish and they are eyeing up the bone box on the table which they are absolutely not having!

reminds me of the time my Siamese came across a  very expensive  open tin of Koi carp flakes - she kind of breathed in and the lot disappeared just like that :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline alenax

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 00:10:45 AM »
Our cats eat anything - I've always bought them Tesco's own so they don't get used to expensive stuff, and if they don't eat the food straight away, it stays in the bowl until it gets eaten. We do buy them variety packs though so they don't get bored of the same old flavour.

Axel, the oldest, does the funniest thing though! If he gets food in his bowl that he doesn't like the smell/taste of, he will do the toilet wiping motions on the floor next to the bowl! It's hilarious! We did buy him that GoCat dry food the other day though and he loves it. Sometimes he gets tuna as a treat as well.

When I was little, my nan, who lived in the countryside, had a cat that only ate if he caught it and he was fine with it - lived to be about 14 years old as well.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 00:12:01 AM by alenax »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 21:46:03 PM »
Our ferals who have joined us in the last 18 months would eat anything put down outside except cheap biscuits - now on the inside Blue (14 months inside), Sammy and Indie - 3 months expect that they will only be fed the best of foods, we will chase them down in the morning with the breakfast choice ignoring hissing, spitting and the odd impale - cat milk will always be available as they love the stuff - again so readily available in the outside world!

In fact i think we have ruined the cats we have here even the boys Jet and Turbo will only eat kitten food in gravey with Whiskas cat biscuits, Aztec and maya will only eat food in Jelly with Science kitten biscuits all of this lot were ferals in fact getting Flu was the best thing that happened to Turbo and jet tamed down in a weeek, Aztec and maya are proving a bit of a challange but we can stroke both of them now
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 21:05:57 PM »
ERm...lots  :naughty:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 21:03:19 PM »
Oliver used to be a feline hoover when he was smaller, but as the time went by he became increasingly and remarkably fussy.
 Once we decided to splurge on Almo Nature's main line, which costs a lot but they were recommended by many as the quality is very high with all pure ingredients.  When I opened the tin I knew what they mean, they were obviously made with pure chicken tenderloins, trout fillets etc., they looked and smelled so good I could almost make salads and sandwiches with them.   :innocent:;D However my enthusiasm was NOT shared by his highness, he flatly refused to even touch them on 3 different tries. :Crazy: :(
He does go off things he used to like a lot as well, strange as it seems, he is no longer interested in smoked salmons or prawns :tired:
At this moment he is quite content with Almo Nature BioPate, which is to me a great value for the price.  Though the flavour selection is quite limited (just 3, tuna & chicken, tuna&mackerel, tuna&sardines) and I am quite worried that he may get bored with them at one point and if he does I wouldn't know what to do... :shify:  I try to have some variety and throw in some tinned pure mackerel, plain sauteed chicken breast, or Friskies main line in a tin (he always liked them a lot as it contains a lot of gravies and morsels are smaller, but I see the quality leaves much to be desired so I only give it to him occasionally).
With biscuits he is much less fussy, he just eats anything that's been served.  (usually Matisse, an Italian brand which is again a great value made with 80% dehydrated chicken, fish meal etc.)
Luckily enough though whatever refused by his highness never goes to "waste", there are about 10 ferals live under our flat who know how to appreciate good food much better than our Mr. Spoiled, and they take care of them with a lot of vigour... :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 20:31:34 PM »
Well I have thrown anoither tin of food away from the bedroom tonight and had to go out and get some new little tins which cost me £15 for 25 grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The other ones they dont eat  :innocent: are costing 3 for a £1  I think for next few days but the offers on both stop soon.

Now the felix that the birmans wont eat anymore cost me £10 for 48 pouches plus £2 off in vouchers   :shify: :shify:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 19:40:39 PM »
lol i daren't show me hubby this thread cause i bet him that most of the Purrs members also waste fud!   :-:  :rofl:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 19:37:22 PM »
No waste here, the girls are furry hoovers and will eat just about anything. When we were on holiday OH's mum left some fish pellets out (basicly crushed fish) and they helped themselves, also spread the ones they didn't eat all over the hall! Having polished off their dinner in 2 seconds flat, they have just helped me with the roast chicken I couldn't finish and they are eyeing up the bone box on the table which they are absolutely not having!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 19:15:47 PM »
Gizmo and Jerry will eat anything and everything. Beavis expects a menu and silver service! :tired:

I knew it was a birman thing lol

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 17:37:53 PM »
Not a scrap wasted here!  Geoffrey is a right royal hoover and will demolish whatever he is given and whatever Milly leaves.  Bit different when we had Sooty (RIP) though.  He was a fussy boy and he would eat a couple of mouthfuls and wander off, and would refuse to touch the same food again even if he popped back 5 minutes later.

Offline Catz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 17:35:29 PM »
Nothing gets wasted here. Magnum goes out first thing in the morning and Oscar has half a pouch of kitten mixed with dry biscuits for his breakfast then when I come in from work Magnum comes in  and he gets a full pouch with buscuits mixed in while Oscar gets the other half of his pouch with dry mixed in for their tea.They get the odd treat now and again. Plus they get bits of what I eat especially a little haddock or cod.

I always worry i'm not feeding him enough but he's not skinny and he's huge for  4 months.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 19:30:32 PM »
I'm only two and a half weeks in with Noah but so far no waste, instead every time I go into the kitchen he sits by his bowl!! :evillaugh: He is presently eating half a 100g pouch twice a day, 50g of biscuits in total, plus either some prawns or half a raw chicken wing which should be enough for a lazy indoor cat?? Noah loves all wet food and the Orijen dry is going down very well. The only dry he refused was a sample of Royal Canin Indoor so I mixed it with his wet and he troughed it down, but his ears seemed to be very itchy for the next couple of days! :-[
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 19:04:16 PM »
[quote author=Millys Mum link=topic=28598.msg506565#msg506565 date=1256669680

I think most waste comes from cats generally being overfed, they get to snack on dry food so never have a proper appetite, like how your mum would always say 'dont you eat those sweets and ruin your dinner', they always did take the edge off  :innocent:
[/quote]

My vet says cats being fed too often is the cause of Diabetes. He says their bodies just are designed for the sugar level to be up all the time and that in the wild, they eat once, possibly twice a day max.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 19:00:22 PM »
Mosi is even eating the rc maine coon freebie that I got with a cat mag  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 18:54:40 PM »
No waste here, they eat every meal and on the very rare occasion someone doesnt like a particular serving its shared out among the rest so nothing gets binned  ;D

I think most waste comes from cats generally being overfed, they get to snack on dry food so never have a proper appetite, like how your mum would always say 'dont you eat those sweets and ruin your dinner', they always did take the edge off  :innocent:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 18:42:35 PM »
Poot is a food monster, so not much waste here  :evillaugh:

He's not so keen on gravy foods, but anything else goes just fine  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 17:53:06 PM »
which reminds me that I have a cupboard full of various foods that I need to find a home for  :'(

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 17:51:52 PM »
 :omg:  In over 35 years of being a cat slave I've never had a really fussy eater so this thread is a revelation.  That said, I've never had a cat who didn't just lick the gravy/jelly and leave the lumps which is why mine were all fed on supermeat/pate type foods as a rule.  When Korky was put on renal food the only one he would eat was the Royal Canin which is chunks in gravy but he soon learned that if didn't eat the chunks they stayed in his dish until the next mealtime when they went in the bin.  I was much softer with him over the last few months though which reminds me that I have a cupboard full of various foods that I need to find a home for  :'(

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 17:50:08 PM »
Ya know i am really impressed as i thought more of us would have fud wasted lol It's good to hear lots of furries eating their dins up well.   ;D
What a pleasure it would be to put down a bowl and they scoff it all up!  Me hubby would be sp pleased not to be wastin any fud!  :evillaugh:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 17:22:23 PM »
My lot are fussy eaters and like Christine its my own fault but no food goes to waste here as any left over meat goes out for the 2 ferals i feed also non fishy ones for the hedgehogs and chicken flavour biscuits and anything else left goes out for the foxes especially the young one as he now has to fend for himself :wow:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 16:49:36 PM »
Blip is a fussy eater and, like Tan, I know I've made her that way so only have myself to blame.  If she goes off something, she'll generally like it again a few weeks later, so I just wait a while and try again.  If I make the mistake of buying something new that she simply won't eat, I just store the remaining packets for donation to one of the rescues.

Blip prefers fish and will only eat chicken if it's (a) our roast or (b) in a blend with tuna.  Curiously though, she does like turkey catfood.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 16:12:18 PM »
Ours eat 10 tins a day and 3 kgs of biscuits

We tried cheap biscuits and even the outside ferals wouldn't eat them so back to RC, Hills and james Wellbeloved although Robin is cruel and buys Go Cat and Whiskas and makes them eat them - put down a dodgy lot of tins = supermeat or the like and they will eat cheaper biscuits!

Even the dogs won't eat cheap food - byut Sky loves his Frolic treat the other 2 won't eat it!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 15:14:34 PM »
Gizmo and Jerry will eat anything and everything. Beavis expects a menu and silver service! :tired:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 14:13:37 PM »
NO food is every wasted in our house ..... my lot all love Royal Canin siamese dry and they have a felix foil tray between them at night.  Foxy ... the hoover will not allow any food to go to waste and if they do happpen to turn their noses up at something (which isn't very often) I have my friendly neighbourhood stray who will also eat anything that is put in front of him.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 13:40:46 PM »
My two share a pouch in the morning and one at tea time but they very rarely finish it off so whatever is left in the bowl gets thrown out when it's the next meal time. They do eat more dry though, usually the Royal Canin Indoor and tend to clear the bowls of that. They do go through phases where they go off things but I try and be stern with them and not offer an alternative. Felix seems to be the favourite but only in jelly not gravy, they've gone off Whiskas lately. I've tried the "posh" wet foods but they are none too impressed and as they eat a good quality dry I'm not too bothered. They always start off eating together but go back and have another go later. They also insist on trying the other's food despite the fact that it is the other half of the puch that they have in their own bowl  :rofl:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »
I have stopped wasting now, through trial and error, but still have a cupboard full of Bozita, Porta21 and Aplplaws tins that none of my three will so much as taste

now they get Applaws dry and JWB, which is always eaten, and a mixture of individual  tins and pouches - I have given up the variety boxes as there are too many of those they won't touch
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
I don't feel we waste much really compared to most of you.

The boys share 2 pouchs in the morning and evening. The only have Felix in Jelly, whatever isn't eaten is left down, and after a few hours if its still down it gets thrown away but not before.

Milo will eat almost everything, Jess however won't.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 10:56:25 AM »
Mine are average, when Pepper first came he would eat anything - great for giving him his tablets but now, he picks and will leave food, usually the ones with tablets in!  Byron is roughly the same, she'll eat certain things but doesn't eat alot in one go unless she really really likes it.  Byron tends to lick jelly/gravy off so I mash hers all up which helps a bit or give her pate ones oh and I am guilty of opening different foods until they like one because Byron will just sit and stare at me until I do  :sneaky: and I give in.  I tend to give the ferals their leftovers but some of them are more picky than Byron and Pepper and I give in with them too  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:59:54 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »
Kiki can be fussy, she is enjoying Felix gravy pouches at the minute, but we have to have staggered eating times otherwise the 2 ginger terrors would demolish her food as well as their own  :evillaugh:

Louis and Floyd will eat anything and everything in 10 seconds flat  :evillaugh: and obviously Gibson the canine bin will polish off anything left unattended.

They have a mix of whiskas, felix and opticat pouches, applaws and pets at home purely dry. The have half a pouch each for breakfast, tea and supper with biscuits at teatime too. 

I have to say though the only time I have ever taken untouched food away and replaced it was for Nina when she was sick and we were desperately trying to get her to eat something, have doctored other foods like putting warm water to natures menu for Kiki but after we used the last of it we never got it again.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
For the front room feeders I take 3 bowls (pouches) in and have to give Pippa first choice, she sniff's them all and if they are not to her liking she runs off!  :shocked:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
about 1 pouch per day - Amber has a tiny appetite but won't eat the other half pouch if I give it to her in the evening

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »
Nothing gets wasted here.  I even got Mosi to eat up the rejected natures menu pouches  ;D  I might even get a new box and try Jaffa on them again in the hope that abscence makes the heart (or in this case stomach) fonder.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:30 AM »
Im like Desley.
Mine get a pouch between them at breakfast which is normally felix senior, then tea time they share a pouch of felix in gravy and supper they share a puch of felix in jelly. Theres always biscuits down which tend to be a mixture of senior/light/indoor. I hate giving them the same stuff all the time and try different brands but after the first pouch they refuse to eat and we come back to felix. If they dont eat whats given though they dont get any more until the next meal. They are also helly/gravy lickers but if I mash it all together they eat none so id rather they had something.
love
Tab

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 09:11:03 AM »
Mine eat everything though there is one supermarket brand they are not too fond of, so I don't buy it anymore. I nearly always buy a brand that comes in 3 varieties and they love all of it, plus it's really cheap. It's German, it's called Multifit, I buy everything from that brand, piggie food, doggy food, litter.

Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 08:20:53 AM »
That is the reason that Clapton gets away with murder - OH says "he isn't well, poor kitty"

I can't be the only one that puts food down, it gets sniffed and a different one gets put down, sometimes a third and they sniff that and go back to the first one  :tired: :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 08:15:41 AM »
i am mean, they get something put down for breakfast, and that is it till tea, I refuse to open another pouch, unless it is a poorly cat. If they haven't eaten a lot by teatime they do get something different for tea and there are biscuits down. The girls seem to have gone off the wet food they were eating though, so debating what to buy them next - they dont seem to be able to tolerate the high meat content foods anymore, and dont eat enough for tins. Might get some stuff from Zooplus on payday.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 23:55:17 PM »
How would you like it sent  :shify: :shify:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.