Author Topic: What has happened on Purrs ? - also vibes needed  (Read 10644 times)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
Re: What has happened on Purrs ? - also vibes needed
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
So sorry to hear about Chilli.

I remember seeing pictures on the paws in website.  :hug:

Things change and never stay the same. It's a busy time here for me so I can't post as much as I'd like. And sometimes the loss of such amazing creatures hurts a little too much even never having met them.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »
T i'm sorry I've missed news of your loss, I don't get on here as often as before and everything seems to move at such a pace I often miss big news  :hug: to you and anyone else I have missed

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 12:37:51 PM »
Teresa, your heartbreak is palpable.  I have sent you a PM  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »
T,  I for one will would mourn the loss of your feral having so many of them, they are more special as they allow us to enter their lives and be part of the magical feral world, I look at my worst ones all currently curled up on a super kingsize bed with the electric blanket on and know these wonderful babies are safe and they are now becoming more needy as Daddy is away

I have had my first purr of a feral this weekend she lived outside all her life she is 15 to 16 years young and until she came here and that was a special moment and one that will stay a long time

I think we all have the same purpose but do it it different ways and I have a lot of cats others think we are mad but we aren't hoarders by any means, each one wether domestic, pedigree or my darling feral mob are all treated the same way and will all have the dignity they seserve when the time comes - some folks can't grasp the idea of ferals and I don't mean the nice ones who tame down I have 4 who come at you and mean should you invade their space they aren't for the feinthearted or the folks who want cuddly cats I'm lucky I have the cuddles crew, the ones who love me when wearing roast beef, the ferals who love the laser pen and will chase the dot for hours

I also have 3 very cat savy doggies - well they think Jazz is a cat and Sky and Sunny have been well clawed sorry trained in cat etiqutte!

Lou Lou Flump get your furry butt home your Mummy will have lots of treats when you come back like you have been gone for 5 mins :hug:

The sadness wil lift and we will all come together for the Auction - "The Mugs are Mine" :evillaugh:

I think whatever the age the losses are devestating and we all feel for the owners and their kids sometimes I can't post as it is just to much or is to close to the anniversary of the loss of one of the Clan, it doesn't mean we don't care or sympathise sometimes words just don't come out of the end of our fingers :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline alison10

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 12:25:31 PM »
Being a newbie myself, i have to say I have found this a very friendly and helpful forum. I do not post very much on any of the forums I am a member of which is only 3 but I always log on and read the posts and think about the people who are having problems or who have lost their beloved puds even if I don't leave a message.  :hug:
Loving mum to Cassie, Ernie, LB, Trio and Harry

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
The more I read this the more I feel an outsider.
I try to offer support to whoever needs it,even if its just one quick post; but I am amazed to find out that someone lurking is sending support, I`m not telepathic.
JS am not going to post about Chilli, his pic was posted numerous times over last year,barely a soul showed interested in him ,but then maybe he was missed in the midst of Blackpool.
As for people coming and going, fine there will always be newbies to fill the gaps, but goodness me are us oldies so disposable.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »
Oh yes the auction 
Better get saving then  :rofl:
love
tab
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:02:34 PM by tab »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »
bring on the auction, that always brings out the best in everybody!!

It brings out the worst in me  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
Oh yes, we likes the Auction  ;D ;D ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 11:35:03 AM »
The auction is not that far away flap flap  :shify: :shify:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
I've always considered myself a edge of circle member!  its how I am in my real life as well - but I've never been made to feel unwelcome and generally find purrs a friendly helpful place - if we were sitting around a (big!!) table in a pub or something we'd find people not to our taste - its the same here, if somebody says something I don't agree with I'm more likely to avoid the thread - hopefully the sadness will lift and we can get back to normal soon - bring on the auction, that always brings out the best in everybody!!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
I do think it can be very intimidating for newbies but that goes for any forum that is as established as purrs. I have never felt outside looking in but at the same time I have never really felt completely on the inside. I would agree with Tab that on occasion some members can be very sanctimonious when responding to someone asking for advice or just posting about something that is going on with them. I have been made to feel like a terrible novice only doing the worst by my puds on more than one occasion! I try to take it with a pinch of salt.

Unfortunately, I have been part of some of the less than ideal situations but the support I have received during it all has been wonderful and I definitely feel a little bit more on the inside. I was so terrified of the impact it would have on what people thought of me and hated that I was involved in anything of that nature, I still feel guilty about the whole thing. But the positive is that I now feel sort of like I've moved from loitering in the doorway engaging with one or two people to now sitting at the edge of the circle :shy:

As someone else said, the atmosphere has changed but I would put it down to the natural evolution of the site. We seem to have a lot more occasional visitors and newbies at the moment so there will be an adjustment period for that. No doubt we will have a settled period again then another influx of newbs, it's just the circle of life for a forum of such popularity.

Regardless I think for the most part, the advice and support we all receive as we go through the ups and down life throws at us.

I still think this is a wonderful place to be :shy:

Lou Lou Flump, come home baby, Meowmy is worried and misses you.

:hug: to Theresa. I don't always post on all the heartbreaking threads but know that I always lurk, sending vibes and admiring the care and love you give to every pud that crosses your path.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:16 AM »
I totally agree with that Tab said.

And Lou Lou Flump come home your meowmy needs you.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »
Im afraid I agree with Moira and Theresa. I dont always feel that welcome here. I get scared of posting a problem I may have with my cats because I find some members to be so opinionated and un-sympathetic I end up feeling that even though I have 2 rescue cats one of which Ive had for 12 yrs when they said she wouldnt live but from some of the things that are said I feel as though Im being accused of neglect and not caring for my cats as well as others would.
On the other side of that I do post and try to reply to other posts when I can say something relevevant because I feel that Purrs IS a good site and needs to be supported and used otherwise it may be closed and that would be a great loss to rescues, cat owners and general lurkers.
I thank Tan and the mods for all their hard work. It is very hard to keep the peace when you have members from all areas, all ages and all views
I hope what I say comes across as I mean it (see what I mean about being worried  :evillaugh:)

I hope Lou Lou flump comes home soon  :hug:
love
Tab
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:53:23 AM by tab »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »
That was a bit of a ramble, wasn't it?

No C, you said exactly what I couldn't put into a coherent reply  :shy:

Haha! People do that for me quite regularly..... :evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »

No C, you said exactly what I couldn't put into a coherent reply  :shy:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
I have learned that a forum is like a business, in that when it starts out, it's very small and everyone knows each other very well.  As it grows, more and more people join and the original sense of a small team facing things together is inevitably lost.

As that happens, people tend to gather together in little groups: at best, that's friendship and at worst it's cliqueyness.  But it is human nature.

It can therefore be easy to feel excluded from certain interchanges, particuarly if the people 'in the know' are of the same vintage as each other and you aren't.

My own take on this is that I celebrate having forged several friendships that I would never have otherwise made.  My support for these people almost certainly reveals itself in my posts but I would hate anyone else to feel that they are excluded from dialogue with me.  Assuming anyone else should want to have one!  :evillaugh:

We were all new once and I think the only way to get included is to jump in: you'll soon make friends as there are lots of very warm people on here.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 10:13:17 AM »
I don't think I lot has changed but I do think that Purrs 'feels' different. I don't know why but I suppose it is inevitable with members coming and going bringing new dynamics etc.  :shy:

Sending lots of these for Teresa and DaisyMac  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:13:45 AM by ems (nina+kiki's mum) »

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:23 AM »
I don't think Purrs has changed a great deal - they were certainly there for me again when I had my recent difficulties for which I am extremely grateful.  The chatting about non-cat stuff I found invaluable for every day life which we all have to encounter and the advice given was absolutely sound   :thanks:

We only get one crack at life - so let's try and give it our best shot   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 09:51:27 AM »
I think the "atmosphere" on Purrs has fluctuated a little for a while, but can't pinpoint why. It's sad, and I hope it gets back it's team spirit a little more soon. :grouphug:

Moira, I'm sorry to hear you feel like a visitor......but really we kind of all are. It's like a drop in centre for cat addicts! :evillaugh:

Daisymac, sending come home vibes for Lou Lou Flump. :)

Teresa, I'm so sorry about Chilli. Please post about him - I don't think it matters if a cat is moggy or pedigree. It still hurts the same amount when you lose them.  :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »
I don't think that Purrs has changed a huge amount recently, apart from a few threads recently where the mod team have had to wade in and sort things!

I do feel there has been terrible sadness over the last few months though, so many furbabes lost and so many grieving their losses, the pain is clear to see.

What I would say is that without you wonderful people, I would not have coped in the final months/weeks of Max's illness  :hug:  I posted several heartfelt messages, especially the one 'how do you know when to let your cat go', and the support and advice I received was just amazing.  When I posted that I'd let Max go, so many messages and PMs which made me feel so much stronger, just knowing that you were all there for me was such a massive help, and for this I thank you all wholeheartedly  :hug:

When I adopted Poot, I also felt you were all sharing my joy, and again this made me soo happy as I had such a wonderful group of people to share my news with  :)

I think any forums can be a little bit daunting, but we all start off as newbies, just some of us are on here more than others  :shy:  I think Purrs is still a great place to be, good advice where needed, lots of cooing over cute pictures, I still love it here  :)

Now to add lots of come home vibes, and a special  :hug: to T for her loss yesterday xx
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:54:39 AM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »
I am going to put my foot in it and say that Purrs is not the same and it hasnt been for a good few months, nothing to do with the heated debates which should have been done by pm, nothing to do with the trolls who our wonderful moderators sorted out. My opinion we have excellent moderators, some who are so caring and supportive too.
I can understand how Moira feels because just lately I have felt like a visitor,but for a small handful of people who have supported me and kept me afloat during this awful time. I will add that maybe my brain is not what is should be just now,( I am coping with 3 deaths in one week )  however things here felt so distant and lonely that when I lost Chilli on Sunday I felt it was pointless posting , I  felt that most people wouldnt be interested in an 18 month old whose only crime was to be born a feral rather than a pedigree,regardless I loved him dearly and he enjoyed strokes and headbutts just like any other.
Overall I feel the forum has become very clicky, not as cat orientated as it used to be and certainly not the place you can turn to when your heart is breaking.

Claire could Lou Lou Flump have gone off with Jerry , I so hope she turns up  :hug: :hug:

I thank the people who took time to support me with the Siralots, you are keeping me going. :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: What has happened on Purrs ?
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »
Firstly, fingers crossed that LouLou flump gets herself home ASAP  :hug:

I still think Purrs is a lovely place to be and I don't think I'll ever beat my addiction to it  :evillaugh: Like life itself I think Purrs will always go through phases whereby people are feeling stressed or depressed, happy or excited...  We have over 2500 members now so things will never stay the same as new and old members alike come and go.

I have been a member of a number of different forums over the last five years. They all go through ups and downs.

I think Purrs is a very tight community . I have never felt that I am anything more than a visitor here - an observer looking in. Everyone tries to be welcoming but many of the threads are incomprehensible unless you know the history of each member's furfamily.

Aww, sorry you feel like that Moira  :hug: What I would say is that every single one of us, even those of us with ridiculously high post counts, started off as a newbie not 'knowing' any of the ins and outs.  I do think that Purrs as a whole genuinely welcomes all new members with open arms  :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
i dont think Purrs is the same, and I dont think it is due to the sad losses we have had this year (I have lost 3, and had two first anniversaries), we have lost some members, and others who dont post as much, and I think that is most of it. The threads are certainly different, and I dont spend as much time on here as the atmosphere isn't the same, and there aren't as many threads I want to post on.
Please spay your cat

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:14:47 AM »
I have been a member of a number of different forums over the last five years. They all go through ups and downs.

I think Purrs is a very tight community . I have never felt that I am anything more than a visitor here - an observer looking in. Everyone tries to be welcoming but many of the threads are incomprehensible unless you know the history of each member's furfamily.

Many of the members have very strong views, which is to be expected in a forum linked to cat rescue, and many members are rather sensitive, again not unexpected when each member is the type of person who adores cats. Put these two things together and it is unsurprising that some people get upset, either because someone has posted a strong opinion or because that strong opinion has been deleted.

Adding some come home viibes for Lou Lou Flump
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:15:53 AM by moiramassey »

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:11:32 AM »
Thanks ladies,  yes you are right,  it has just been a sad time on here,  lets hope things can be happy,  on a another note one of my cats Lou Lou Flump is missing,  she has been gone a few days now and it is so unlike her,  I am making up posters today to put in the local area so fingers crossed and please send some come home vibes  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 00:01:55 AM »
I have some strong opinions and sometimes just don't respond to a thread as sometimes my comments are deleted in case they offend

I bet they ain't as opinionated as some of mine that don't see the light of day Liz  :evillaugh:  esp grammar errors  :rofl:

This is fab site.  Very warm place to be  :grouphug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 23:55:11 PM »
On Forums it can seem cold at times, I always make sure I use loads of  ;D with my text to try and keep it happy!

I know when there is someone or a few people who have sick or even lose their little babes it affects me badly....I feel really down and sad!

I say Purrs is the best place though.....Whatever happens it always gets sorted out....The mods on here are rather good you know, not one sided!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lets all have a  :grouphug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 23:54:40 PM »
Purrs just seems the same to me, as nice as it always has been  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 23:49:33 PM »
I think when we all loose a fur baby we all react in different ways and have other lives going on and sometimes they collide and some folks can't react the way we would like and that makes us all human in our own ways

We also should remember that dirty linen should be cleaned behind closed doors instead of folks coming on and seemingly taking sides which has happened recently on a couple of threads

At the end of the day we will all agree that the cats come first and anything else may not be to our liking and we all post things here to share but don't perhaps hear the comments we would like

I have lost 2 furkids this year and have had the one year anniversary of Gems tragic loss yesterday and know how folks feel when they loose and mourn a much loved baby wether it has had a long life or one cut short despite our best care

I have some strong opinions and sometimes just don't respond to a thread as sometimes my comments are delted in case they offfend whilst others get to stay!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 23:41:35 PM »
I think purrs is still a lovely place and cant see anything that has changed, i certainly havent.

We go through phases of great sadness and there have been to many babes going to the bridge this year and yes occasionally things get tense but thats life sadly.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 23:18:55 PM »
I don't think I've changed much DM  :hug: 

I think I've been keeping up with most threads and not sure if anything else has happened this afternoon  :-:.  I think it's been an esp strained time the last week or so and, having been so involved with Teresa's awful recent losses (thru JOR bless his little cotton socks), will no doubt have upset you greatly.  I know it's upset me a lot esp with Lottie's loss of Bilbo also.  I know it doesn't help if one or two of us have the odd falling out esp at such a sad time but chin up gal.  We'll be here a while longer me thinks  :)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
What has happened on Purrs ? - also vibes needed
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 23:03:02 PM »
When I joined purrs it was such a lovely place and now it has changed,  everyone seems so wary of what they say and so wary of helping people,   please please can we get back to how we were,  I used to love this place and really loved the support and I am sure so many of us on here did but it seems to have changed,  so please can we get back to normal and please lets all be happy  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:11:56 AM by Daisymac »

Link to CatChat