Author Topic: OMG cats are the devil - according to midwives and health visitors!  (Read 9604 times)

Offline LittleOne

• Adult Cat
Re: OMG cats are the devil - according to midwives and health visitors!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
My god that's rubbish! If someone told me to get rid of a cat i'd tell them where to go!

Btw...I'm a student midwife and have no problems whatsoever with anyone having pets, as long as their OH deals with the litter.

And on the subject of allergies, as I said in my newbie post I've been around cats all my life, they slept in my bed with me, I never washed my hands after playing with them, I got messy in the garden and I have no allergies and rarely get ill.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
All of the health persons that came to mine were ok with my cats and never said a thing. One even said she had cats herself  :)

And they would not get away with saying anything really cos they would of been leaving as soon as they came in  :evillaugh:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
I grew up around horses, cats, dogs and ferrets and I survived and am alive with no allergies - its amazing isn't it  >:(  Twats the lot of them.

What pee'd me off more than anything yesterday was when I quized the health visitor she has 2 cats of her own so she should know better.

I cannot wait for the day when my babies are on the floor with all my cats when a health visitor walks in  :rofl:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
Its asbsolutely stupid - makes me mad! >:(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »
I'm amazed that with all the so-called advances in modern medicine, it seems so many of the 'front line' people associated with baby care have such a worrying attitude to animals  :Crazy:

We had a crazy dalmation when I was born, he didn't do me any harm, in fact I learned to respect and love animals from a very early age, and I have some lovely early memories of being with the dog in the garden.

I think its just ridiculous, and its high time that somebody gave these so called 'experts' a thorough talking to  >:(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »
Not long after my daughter was born, I went to see a friend Id made at the  "pre-baby" group to meet her new little son.

She had an extremely elderly, fat, ex-tom cat who really didn't do much other than lie about in his basket. 

During my visit her Health Visitor called,

She took one look at Tiggs and said "She will have to go"

I'm afraid I'm an evil woman sometimes and so I looked her in the eye and said "Then how will we feed the baby overnight?"

"What do you mean?" she ,unsurprisingly, asked me

"Oh, I said, we pop the baby in with the cat and she feeds him and keeps him warm!!"

I thought the poor Health Visitor was going to have apoplexy.  She couldn't get a word out ..... :evillaugh:

My friend gave the "joke" away by bursting into giggles

Health Visitor didn't see the joke  :evillaugh:

Apparently, next time, a different lady called round  :-[
People Power Works!!!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:32:49 AM »
Totally agree with you Catbird too.

My Mum is a bit of a clean freak and I strongly believe thats why I have eczema now.

I know occasionally when we've had people around for dinner and a stray hair has been found on the plate my sister freaks, I tell her she's not going to catch anything from it!!!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
We had a case last year where the woman had twins and they were a bit prem. The consultant had told them the cats needed to be gone by the time she left hospital "beacuse of germs".

I swear that the modern day rise of allergies is down to the fact that we now protect all our kids with anti-bacterial this and disinfecting that, together with the avoidance of nasty germy animals.  This means that the immune system never becomes used to the ordinary, everyday germs that are around and hence when kids, or even adults, do come into contact with said germs, their immune systems "panic".  I use the Undergound and I am certain that I am exposed to far more germs and viruses there than Dot could manage to inflict on me in a lifetime.  Many people have this worry about germs waaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

(Although I can't bring myself to use the on-board train loo  :sick: - now that's dangerous!)

C.

100% agree with you

Catbird

We had a case last year where the woman had twins and they were a bit prem. The consultant had told them the cats needed to be gone by the time she left hospital "beacuse of germs".

I swear that the modern day rise of allergies is down to the fact that we now protect all our kids with anti-bacterial this and disinfecting that, together with the avoidance of nasty germy animals.  This means that the immune system never becomes used to the ordinary, everyday germs that are around and hence when kids, or even adults, do come into contact with said germs, their immune systems "panic".  I use the Undergound and I am certain that I am exposed to far more germs and viruses there than Dot could manage to inflict on me in a lifetime.  Many people have this worry about germs waaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

(Although I can't bring myself to use the on-board train loo  :sick: - now that's dangerous!)

C.

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
They rely on your hormones to be more upset when they tell you these horror stories, they want you to get rid of the cats.
You should get rid of those people  :naughty:
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
We had a case last year where the woman had twins and they were a bit prem. The consultant had told them the cats needed to be gone by the time she left hospital "beacuse of germs". Apparently, she was really upset but like a lot of people, accepted what doctors & other "professionals" tell them without questioning.

OMG  >:(

I always love looking at the reaction when I tell them I will be getting another rescue cat once the girls are born  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
We had a case last year where the woman had twins and they were a bit prem. The consultant had told them the cats needed to be gone by the time she left hospital "beacuse of germs". Apparently, she was really upset but like a lot of people, accepted what doctors & other "professionals" tell them without questioning.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:06:04 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Its because of people like this that we see so many cats coming into the rescue >:(
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
I know drives me insane really does and makes me so damn angry.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
How prehistoric they are being! You would think they would have more sense than scaremongering!  :-:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:07:42 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
OMG cats are the devil - according to midwives and health visitors!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:57 AM »
Any time my health visitors or midwives find I have cats I see blind panic on their faces and they question me about them and the babies as if I am thick.   I swear they go into panic mode and its starting to pee me off.  Do they think all cats are going to smoother babies to death, do they think I am thick and going to put all my cats in the moses basket with my twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Cats are not evil!

Link to CatChat