Author Topic: Sureflap cat flaps and magnetic cat flaps.....opinions please!  (Read 11218 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Sureflap cat flaps and magnetic cat flaps.....opinions please!
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 18:22:46 PM »
Please remember that if you bid on an auction item, you also have to pay the postage and packing which will be stated in the very first post  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 18:19:40 PM »
Well the link Steff included on the auction item goes to the page for latest model (from the SureFlap website) and also Tan has posted that she has the older model and the one in the auction is the newer model, something to do with the locking clip.

Probably best to PM Steff directly and ask her to check the box to clarify - just click here if you want to PM her http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=597

I haven't looked into it too much but a quick google suggests the Mk4 is the 2010 model. This article here details the features of the latest model http://www.departmentretailer.co.uk/sureflap-wins-innovative-product-award-cms-803

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 17:50:57 PM »
If thats the latest model then I'd make a bid for sure...but what's the difference between all the models? On Amazon I saw the following:

Mk 4
2010 latest version

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 13:39:33 PM »
All flaps cause a draft cos the cat has to come and go, but cant be as bad as leaving a door open.

We have a Sureflap in our auction  ;) ;)

We do indeed  ;) http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,35572.0.html

I'm currently the highest bidder and will honour my bid but don't actually need one anymore (long story but wasn't going to use it for access purposes!). It's the latest model which retails for £82 delivered and has been donated direct from the manufacturer (via our lovely member Steff who has them as a client).

Edit: Auction ends Monday night at 8pm  ;D

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 13:41:15 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 13:15:02 PM »
The magnet doesn't seem very strong on ours so often stays open a bit when kyie goes in or out. At least with the sureflap/Petporte, the door will lock in the closed position, so hopefully no draughts as long as the door has a good fit.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 13:05:50 PM »
All flaps cause a draft cos the cat has to come and go, but cant be as bad as leaving a door open.

We have a Sureflap in our auction  ;) ;)

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 13:02:14 PM »
Im so close to getting a Sureflap cat flap after some great suggestions here. But Im unsure about one massive thing...draft. For anyone who has purchased this...is draft a problem?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 13:00:32 PM »
Argh!!! Just bought a magnetic one now. B :censored: y Hell! (Sorry, as you can imagine this is one I've been debating for a while....)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 16:50:23 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 11:38:19 AM »
It has gone down to £69.35 at pet supermarket - I also got an email today with a code for 15% off which brings it down to around £62  ;D - enter xmas15 at checkout (ends 1st December)

They also have other flaps on sale such as the Staywell infrared for £40 - after discount £34  ;D

You have to spend £79 to get free delivery.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/productdetail.asp?ProductID=4880

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 10:55:34 AM »
If that's the main tunnel part I'm almost certain Sage wouldn't get through it..... :tired: I'm having a dilemma because the magnetic cat flap is bigger than the one we have now which would definitely be to Sages advantage. I think the others would be fine with a microchip cat flap that size, but she really is larger than average despite trying to keep control of food and very rarely getting treats. (Cruel to be kind....I actually hate it because the others are given treats on a daily basis but I worry about her getting unhealthy due to her size.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 09:31:15 AM »
Huh, well according to the conversion chart the size on the site is: 6.5" x 6.7". Which is bigger than when Christine measured it...... :shocked:

That's the measurement of the main 'tunnel' part but there's a sort of entry lip where the aperture measures 5.5" by 5.5" - 5.75" by 5.75" at a pinch (it's hard to measure in situ).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 19:50:05 PM »
Huh, well according to the conversion chart the size on the site is: 6.5" x 6.7". Which is bigger than when Christine measured it...... :shocked:

I think I'm just going to have to order one and see aren't I?!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 19:10:51 PM »
The flap size wont reflect the size of the hole it needs, it will be smaller. The template on sureflaps website says 166mm by 172mm, convert that with a ruler if you need, i dont work in inches lol

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 18:10:28 PM »
Erp, I think it's too small.  :shocked: Just measured the cat flap we have and it's slightly bigger than that. Hmmmm......not sure what to do now!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 15:16:12 PM »
The aperture (the hole in the middle that the cat goes through) is 5.5" by 5.5".  The hole in the door would need to be about the same size, I reckon.  Ours has been cut into a sealed doubled glazed unit at the factory, so it's circular, so no point my measuring that.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »
She's a lovely girl but I have no idea why she's so big. She gets the same amount of food as everyone else, but the other cats are just a little plump. Miss Sage has ummm, a lot more curves about her person. :shy:

Did you get chance to measure the microchip cat flap, Christine? Sorry to bother you about it, but there's a lady offering to sell me a magnetic cat flap for £15 including postage. I need to "yeay" or "nay" it ASAP. ;)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 20:54:51 PM »
Yeah I sympathise, I have a large catflap due to my lovely lardy boy  :Luv2:  Fortunately most people have dogs round here so it's not really proving to be a problem as it's rare that we have an intruder kitty in the garden.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 20:55:44 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 18:40:42 PM »
If the size is right then it's definitely preferred, fluffybunny. But the Sureflap sounds pretty small and the Petporte needs a plug socket nearby.....

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Re: Sureflap Microchip cat flap
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 18:35:47 PM »
Has anyone got a magnetic cat flap? Are they any good?

I used to...it's kind of ok, but the problems I found with it were:
Need to make sure cat is always wearing a collar...if cat loses a collar it can't get in - at least with a chip based system they always have their chip
The magnetic tag is quite cumbersome (although they seem to be a lot lighter these days)
They rely on the fact that other local cats don't have a magnetic tag...we had problems with another cat still coming in because it too had a magnetic tag
The sensor picks up the tag from both sides of the flap, which meant that my kitty would sit on the inside looking out, and the flap would operate because he was so close to it!

So really, it depends.  Personally given the option I would rather go for a microchip cat flap these days  :wow:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 18:33:23 PM »
Does the aperture mean the hole the cats go through? :shy: I need to know how big the hole is for the cats to go in and out and how big the hole needs to be in the door. I can't cut a new hole, it's a rented property so my landlord wouldn't be happy with me.....

(In inches please, Christine. I'm old school and don't really get metric measurements! ;))

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 18:16:50 PM »
We have a Sureflap (as of last week) as I preferred the fact that it is battery powered.  I can measure the Sureflap aperture if anyone wants?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 16:31:04 PM »
Anyone? Kind of assumed someone would have one. ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
This is an embarrassing thing to admit.....but I'm still debating if Sage would be able to get through a Sureflap. I have the money (well, nearly - unless someone knows where it's still £65!) but am unsure about spending that much money in case the flap doesn't fit the hole!

Has anyone got a magnetic cat flap? Are they any good?

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »
that was the other major plus with the pet porte for us - jasper ca fit through it!!  :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »
She's stunning! I think I'm going for the Sureflap - like Mark I'd have trouble with the Petporte needing a mains plug.  Just need to check measurements; oh, and start saving!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:34:34 AM »
I think once my birthday is here in November (long time yet I know), I think I'll ask family for donation towards paying for a pet porte.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 00:32:03 AM »
she is gorgeous!

glad that the security is making her feel better

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 22:50:15 PM »
I convinced my parents to buy the pet porte one before christmas and the difference in their girl Blue is incredible.

She's cost them thousands of pounds by weeing over stuff (she's nervous and gets bullied by the neighbourhood cats) but over the last three months she's realised she's safe indoors and the spraying has hopefully stopped!  She's still nervous and bitey but thats who she is  :Luv2:

She's gorgeous too but I am biased

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 21:38:37 PM »
I like the idea of Sureflap as we are getting a new back door soon and the only thing that would stop us getting the petporte is the fact that it is mains only. Looking at the photos, it looks like the sureflap has quite a small flap?

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 21:27:23 PM »
i know the price did sting - but was getting daft when jasper was peeing everywhere.  well, on beds.  not good. 

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »
My parents have just got pet porte and we want one when we find £100

When you figure out where to find £100, let me know! ;)

Will do, still hoping for a lotto win but guess I have to play to win first though!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »

When you figure out where to find £100, let me know! ;)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:48:01 AM »
They seem to be the same principle, except that the sureflap is battery operated instead of mains powered (it does say it beeps to warn you when it's getting low!). 

My problem is that my two have biotherm chips which petporte says work only at at very reduced range - I'd be interested to see is sureflap have the same issue.  Even if it works but much more slowly, that's a problem, because Geoffrey accellerates from the top of the garden towards his flap and crashes straight through it.  I think there'd be a few bloody noses if it didn't open in time! 

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 23:33:41 PM »
no to the sureflap - but i do have a pet porte. and i have to say despite a few problems i am now sooooooooo happy i got it.  jasper seems much happier and is in and out of the damn thing constantly!!!  which i'm really pleased about it.

i think they're such a good idea so would strongly recommend - - - though i have no idea about the sureflap....  did any of that make some sort of sense???

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 20:22:21 PM »
I have the opposite problem! There have been microchip catflaps on Ebay selling for about £60 + postage, but our door is white and it'd look really strange. Not that I'll care about that if the visits continue; Spratts mental wellbeing comes before colour co-ordinating a catflap to the door!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 18:59:37 PM »
Ooooh not heard of that one before, did pet porte not get a patent in on time I wonder!  If you search pet porte there have been a few discussions about those on here before, don't know about Sureflap though. 

I will keep my eye on this one though as it looks slightly bigger and says it will fit existing holes up to a larger size, I can't have a pet porte because I already have a Geoffrey sized hole in the door but I could be persuaded on a Sureflap in the future if they bring it out in brown and it works on their chips. 

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Sureflap cat flaps and magnetic cat flaps.....opinions please!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 17:01:05 PM »
Has anyone got one? Are they any good? If the ginger cat comes back I'm seriously considering investing in a microchip flap so any info on them would be great. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:07:37 PM by JackSpratt »

Link to CatChat