Author Topic: Supermarket own brand kitten food...  (Read 9725 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Supermarket own brand kitten food...
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »
well I tried the bozita with felix on top naturally the felix got eaten and everything else left!  I've put a bit less bozita in this morning and well see what happens!

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 18:08:07 PM »
i gave them all new this morning and it had all pretty much gone but so had a lot of their dried food.

they used to come running as soon as i opened the cat food cupboard door now the just wait and see what goes in the bowls, i hate not having that excitement from them  :(

i did my food shopping online last night and gave in and ordered 2xboxes of felix i think i am going to have to ease them in slowly, i want that excitement back from them  :Luv2:

i am off to give them felix and a tiny bit of new added for good measure.

they had a blast fighting over the strip untill it went under the freezer, never to be found again!  :shocked:
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 17:41:14 PM »
I didn't realise how lucky I am until I read on here about so many people's cats being fussy  ;D  My boys eat whatever I give them and Magpie was the same.  They may be a bit less keen on some things than others but that just means they eat it a bit slower.  They still empty their bowls.  Long may it continue!

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 13:25:07 PM »
They are amazing aren't they.  I once got some tins of really high quality fishy stuff (can't remember the name) and when I put it out it was chunks of fish with a little jelly.  They all turned their noses up at it.   Hubby was gobsmacked.  He says they are better fed that him  :rofl:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 13:20:28 PM »
I've got to that stage, they can eat what they'll eat............the only reason I attempt to change food was because NM seems to go up all the time - how much have I now wasted hehe

The main thing I need to know is that they'll eat because nagging at the back of my mind is the fact that I go away in 2 weeks and I need to know they'll be ok with the neighbours

People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 13:14:50 PM »
that's what it comes down to isn't it what they will eat, mine eat felix as well, this is the last time I will try with anything new, I've been through every brand going, if they don't eat this they can stick to felix

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 13:12:32 PM »
my girls are still playing me around with what they will and won't eat...............had NM for nearly 2 years but thought I'd try Bovita.......they turned their noses up, tried them again with a different flavour, nothing......tried leaving only that nothing, they'd just eat biscuits!!  So tried them back on NM - nope changed their minds on that to!!  Have also tried Iams and Science Plan..........so what are they eating now FELIX!!!!!  I thought I'd bought them up to have a higher standard of food  :rofl:  :rofl:

Cats!!!!  :Crazy:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:04 AM »
I got the mixed value fish pack yesterday I'm going to try introducing a little bit mixed in with the normal food and see what happens

Offline annettemarie

• Adult Cat
  • My darling Crookie
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 07:59:06 AM »
I started reading this thread as I feed my two on Tesco's own brand wet food which they have loved up till a week ago...and now they turn their noses up...not sure why as it smells the same.  One is young and one is quite elderly and has lost all but a few of her teeth.  So I was interested to see what was good for them....

Toothfairy I'm hooked now...have your babies taken to the new food?  And they are so cute...love the pics of them on the tree...

Annettemarie

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 22:05:24 PM »
ooh thanks for the flavours. and what a fab idea with the strip off the cartons, will definately get them used to the diferent flavours, your a star  :briggin: i am off straight to tear off a strip off a carton, will keep you posted

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 21:42:52 PM »
Oh I will do.  Let you know what happens with them.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 21:33:10 PM »
Thanks Helen.  I'll now be able to tell my kitties what they are eating  :rofl:

Try giving them the tear off strip to play with  :wow: The boys love them and even auctioned some at last years Xmas auction (they did donate lots of proper toys too!)...

This may seem like a bit of a random auction but trust me, this will be money well spent!  They are the tear off strips from the top of a Bozita carton.  The boys absolutely love these and spend ages chasing round with one in their mouth before destroying their 'pray'.

They are not strictly a cat toy so for safety's sake supervision is advised (although I leave the boys alone with these and they are still alive and kicking!)

Here is Riley chewing on one (not one that you will receive!) and a before and after picture.  The 'after' pic shows one several weeks old.  Depending on how popular these are I can have many more available before the auction ends  :evillaugh:

No start bid, postage free (Riley not included in sale!)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 21:27:53 PM »
Zooplus don't seem to have ever got the new flavours I bought at the supreme last year.  I forget what they all were but rabbit and minced chicken were among them.  I wonder if they were trial flavours or whether zooplus just haven't got around to getting them.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 21:17:25 PM »
Thanks Helen.  I'll now be able to tell my kitties what they are eating  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 21:15:59 PM »
I can decipher - the packaging is in German, I knew my GCSE German would come in handy one day  :evillaugh:

Pink (Meereskrebsen) = Crayfish

Yellow (Huhnchen leber) = Chicken liver

Pale brown (Rinder hack) = Minced Beef

Dusky Blue (Rinder Leber) = Beef Liver

Bright blue (Flussbarsch) = Perch

Turquoise (Schellfish) = Haddock

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 21:00:22 PM »
Is this the one you got? 

The Bozita Mixed Value Pack contains:
6 x 370 g Minced Beef
6 x 370 g Perch
6 x 370 g Chicken Liver

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 20:51:15 PM »
well it is going in the bowl and although not inhaled on sight like felix is, it is getting eaten with a few scowls after the first sniff.  think i will  persevere. i have found that they prefer the blus one which i am guessing is some kind of fish, what are the other flavours? i can't tell, one is poss chicken but no idea what the other one is   :-:

the cat tree goes really well in my living room, not too big and nice neutral colour also it is on sale on zooplus!  :wow:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 19:53:49 PM »
I got some Bozita to try because my lot are not big wet food eaters so wanted to tempt them.   Opened a new carton today and Summer jumped straight in so she obviously liked it.  Smatie and Skye had a pick at it but they tend to eat more later in the evening.  :briggin:  If Summer hasn't scoffed theirs  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 19:31:34 PM »
My lot have gone right off Bozita, it smells different to me so something has changed  :shify: :shify:

I have that cat tree too  ;D

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 15:59:50 PM »
thank you sweetie, i think they are pretty gorgeous too! i see no pics of yours though    :(

Nope & i doubt you will see anymore pics of snooch...shes a little tease when it comes to taking photos...she'll be doing something really cute..camera comes out & then shes off not to be seen again for ages...the ickle begger ;D

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 14:37:19 PM »
not having any of it!  >:(

i think they are on to me.

going to give them afew days withjust felix then let them trust me again then try and bring it in slowly again.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 13:35:25 PM »
thank you sweetie, i think they are pretty gorgeous too! i see no pics of yours though    :(

i just tried little bit of new and tepe was ok with that but gave up after a while and walked away and floss just totally dismissed the idea of it.

yes i am even more confuddled, not your fault though  :Luv2:

my theory is that if they are hungry enough they will eat it, i left their food out over night(i normally take it away because i kept waking up to kitten sick and realised they were stuffing themselves with dried food and being sick!  :sick:)  and i was all gone this morning.  when we were all growing up i am sure all mum's were similar to mine and used to say, if your hungry you'll eat it cause thats all there is for dinner..i paraphrase but you see where i am going!  :rofl:

TF x

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 13:05:29 PM »
Sorry toothyfairy if this confuddles you even more but i tried snooch on most leading brands of kitten/cat food & she just turned her nose up at it...some of the fish ones smelled almost good enough to eat... :rofl: :rofl: so i tried morrisons own brand & she eats every ickle bit oif it,(4 or 8% meat,single or double flavoured) she'll only eat 3 of the flavours & it has to be pouches not tinned, so i know what your going through...:-: like  hOrZa said..cats are fickle...good luck on your search for the purrrrfect cat food :rofl: :rofl:

By the way your babies are gorgeous :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »
i didn't mix it at all the first time and the second meal i put one felix sachet to one box of newso now i will bring it right down to very little new. off to try that now.

yes they love the tree but still love the box that i am not allowed to throw away which has now been cluttering up my hall way since mid july!

will let you know about the food, fingers crossed xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
Try mixing it in gradually to their old food, the first meal can be 90% old food and 10% new food then gradually increase until it's all new food.  I switched the boys over from Natures menu to Bozita doing it like that and they didn't seem to notice  :shify:

Looks like they like their new tree though  :wow:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »
they won't eat the new cat food! i don't think it helps that i can't read the packaging either, no idea what flavour i am giving them!

the cat tree came and they love it....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 21:55:44 PM »
Pictures!! :waiting:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 17:39:45 PM »
cat food arrived today!
as did the new cat climbing frame/scaffolding and a cat sleeping bag thing...who's more excited?

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 00:02:14 AM »
Bozita Chunks in Jelly cat food is a complete food from Sweden in a practical cardboard Tetra pack. Save now with the 18 x 370 g value pack!......A complete cat food for all stages of your cat's life - from kitten to adult. Bozita is presented in smart, environmental packaging which is safe and easy to handle, open and reseal

just ordered this off zooplus

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 23:28:38 PM »
When Mosi was little I fed him nature's menu kitten, hi life kitten/junior (only towards the end as he was about 7 months old when they brought out the kitten version), almo nature kitten and Animonda vom feinsten kitten.  Some foods (eg bozita) are all life stages foods which means they are suitable for kittens.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 22:10:10 PM »
15 weeks
 and they love their food, from what i can guess i don't think they will be fussy cats, their previous owner fed all the cats (including the 4 very tiny kitten's) in the house the same, adult dry food PAH own brand
i instantly went to felix kitten wet pouches and go-cat kitten dry, was strongly discouraged from go-cat vet gave me pro plan then i invested in JWB, when they had poorly tummies and the vet gave me royal canin sensitivity wet food and then went back to felix, they have had a taste of tinned tuna (in spring water) and loved it. and now asda.

they seem like they are going to be pretty open to most foods just want to choose the best for them but also the best on my pocket!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 21:58:33 PM »
Sadly, we can't just recommend one wet food, as it really depends on your cat. I feed a mixture of foods, Molly's favourite is Nature's Menu, but Zia isn't overkeen on it. How old are the kittens?
Please spay your cat

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 21:54:43 PM »
ah ok makes sense.

just reading the other threads i am even more confused weather i should just forget kitten food altogether and go straight cat food..... :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

i think i just need one of you to suggest one wet food inparticular

i am feeding them james welbeloved kitten turkey & rice dry food but to start with i was feeding them pro-plan kitten delicate turkey & rice cause the vets gave me 2 free bags of it and the second bag i mixed in with the JWB and they are on JWB on it's own in their dry food bowls.

If Asda Tiger kitten food is like their Senior food, it might have more fibre in it. While it is cheaper, the other disadvantage is that it only comes in one flavour, so more chance of them getting bored (would you like teh same flavour all day every day?)

i hadn't realised that they are limited on flavours, i had thought i picked up a multipack but when i got it home i realised thay were all chicken and thought the exact same thing

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 21:44:57 PM »
If Asda Tiger kitten food is like their Senior food, it might have more fibre in it. While it is cheaper, the other disadvantage is that it only comes in one flavour, so more chance of them getting bored (would you like teh same flavour all day every day?)
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 21:07:25 PM »
Although the same meat content they are poorer quality

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 20:48:10 PM »
i looked on the other thread about cat food which i hadn't realised was on here.

as i said i have been feeding them felix kitten pouches and bought asda kitten pouches. i looked on both pouches ingredients list and both felix pouches and asda own kitten pouches are 4% meat...so does this mean it is the preservatives that i should stay away from and not the lack of meat in asda (or similar) pouches.  i have been on the zoo plus but site and there are loads and quite baffling.

Supermarket brands seem to smell more than felix and some (like asda) have more colourants in them which for me is a good reason not to use them.

i must admit that the asda one does smell quite a bit more.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 19:33:36 PM »
Supermarket brands seem to smell more than felix and some (like asda) have more colourants in them which for me is a good reason not to use them.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 19:14:13 PM »
why won't tilly eat nature's menu now???? should i avoid that then?

Because cats a fickle is why :evillaugh:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 19:12:13 PM »
Why not try some of the kitten foods on Zooplus as you can get good quality wet foods for the same price or cheaper than lower quality whiskas/felix/supermarket brands.

Check these out:

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/bozita
https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/grau/79978
https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/cans/53375

It's not essential to feed kitten food especially if they are neutered more important is that the food is good quality. Good quality foods also mean that the cat obtains more nutrients from less food therefore saving you money ;D

what would you do personally?

why won't tilly eat nature's menu now???? should i avoid that then?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 16:01:27 PM »
if you look at the ingredients list they should say how much meat there is, felix is around 4% so see what the packaging says I would imagine they are all roughly the same - I used natures menu when Tilly was a kitten but she won't touch it now

Link to CatChat