Author Topic: Claw clippers; any recommendations?  (Read 9721 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Claw clippers; any recommendations?
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 11:36:56 AM »
Whilst I realise the human clippers peeps outnumbered any other, the claw clippers Helen suggested arrived this morning and they are really dinky. I feel more confident that I'll be able to use these.  Only £4.05 inc P&P  :)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 17:59:06 PM »
Human nail clippers for me also, found they are a lot simpler to use and can be done quicker.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 15:12:47 PM »
Desley. I paid £8.81 yesterday for Tom. Have altered mobile reminder to fortnightly.  :thanks:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 08:10:02 AM »
Rosella - you need to check his claws more than monthly, i check mine weekly and normally find fortnightly clipping is more appropriate (I have also had claws in pads).
Michelle - vets and VN's will happily cut claws, but you might pay for it - think mine charge £8.50 and the rescues vet £8. I am glad I know how to do them myself.
Please spay your cat

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 21:57:58 PM »
Those yella things look like pliers Den!  :scared: Oh for the dog eerrr  :shify:

:evillaugh: :evillaugh: They are! and they work. Molly loves them, she won't let me cut her nails with anything else (I guess everything else just pinches).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 21:36:34 PM »
ETA - these are the ones I use
http://www.everythingforpets.com/mikki_nail_clipper_soft_grip.pet/use.id.5.item_id.5044.dept.1058/
They felt a bit awkward at first, but after a few uses they started to feel easier.  They give a nice, clean cut.

These are the ones I use if possible Susanne but give me a break everyone ...... I'm a wuz. My main excuses as follows:

Tommie is 19 this Christmas and not surprisingly has arthritis in back legs so I don't like to hurt him

His arthritis also means that having claws helps him climb on to furniture, mainly footstool then bed

He has always been indoor/outdoor and, until last year or so, always kept his nails trimmed himself so neither of us have any experience of nail trimming

I'm hoping the smaller clippers suggested by Helen will be easier to use but, if not, may try human nail clippers next coz embarrasing bringing Tom to vet for just claw clipping

My vet is not that keen TBH on clipping claws of indoor/outdoor cats as they need them for climbing and defending themselves

Those yella things look like pliers Den!  :scared: Oh for the dog eerrr  :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 20:46:05 PM »
oooo I have several sets of those, some relatively unused ... will give them a quick sharpen and have a go at Shadow and see what he thinks. If they work, I will buy him his own set .... :wow:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 20:42:23 PM »
you mean like i have in the workshop? hah! will give them a try. Time i bought some new ones anyway so will always find a use for them if I don't like them for the dog ...

Just like these

I've found they give an incredibly clean, smooth and very quick cut.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 20:32:03 PM »
you mean like i have in the workshop? hah! will give them a try. Time i bought some new ones anyway so will always find a use for them if I don't like them for the dog ...

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 20:25:25 PM »
For black nails shining a torch from underneath will highlight the quick. For dogs I actually prefer wire clippers (from the DIY shop and used only for cutting doggie nails), for Rabbits I prefer human toe nail clippers and for cats regular human nail clippers ........ have never got on with pet clippers. I find they either splinter the nail or pinch it causing some level of pain or just an unpleasant feeling  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 20:08:34 PM »
No, vets spend a fairly large part of their time delivering pedicures, so don't feel embarrassed about asking ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 20:08:23 PM »
Sounds like it may be safer if they do him! A VN could do it to save the consult  ;)

Lola is horrible when she paddles but as she has issues with Theo the thug i leave them and i suffer the consequences instead  :doh:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 20:06:27 PM »
I used human nail cutters on my Nan and Grandads cat the other day and they worked just fine.

I really need to do Tramps nails as he is scratching the hell out of us (when he "needs" he has no control over his claws )but he goes mental as soon as i try - Do you think the vets would do him ? Or is that a waste of their time ?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 20:00:14 PM »
I usae toenail clippers too and also have fingernail clippers but find them too small and fidley.

Franta needs his needles clipping but he is not very co-operative........sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 19:48:34 PM »
Whilst I bow to others' use of human clippers, vet today said that they can quite easily cut into pad if the claw is too close like it was with Tommie today (almost embedded poor thing and yes I know I should be reported but sincerely promise to do better :-[).

Ooops Rosella!  ;D

Yes, you wouldnt be able to use human nail clippers safely in that case, I use these http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=368 if any of my customer's cats have claws that have grown too long (and in some cases actually into the pad)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 19:11:40 PM »
I use the large(ish) pet clippers.  I had a small pair and when I lost them I couldn't find a similar pair and ended up buying some that seemed huge.  At first I hated them, but as I got used to them I found them really easy to use.  I eventually found the small pair but I usually use the larger ones now as I prefer them.

ETA - these are the ones I use

http://www.everythingforpets.com/mikki_nail_clipper_soft_grip.pet/use.id.5.item_id.5044.dept.1058/

They felt a bit awkward at first, but after a few uses they started to feel easier.  They give a nice, clean cut.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 19:16:56 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 18:52:04 PM »
I have to admit, that mine get clipped before they get that far, so agree, that proper toenail clippers are appropriate in that context. I actually plan to get some for Shadow as his dew claw is getting disturbingly long. I will take it back by degrees, for fear of cutting into the blood vessel. By doing it in stages, the blood vessel will retreat and I can get it back to an acceptable length.

I am fortunate that my cats have white nails, not black ones, which are a sod to clip because it is hard to check where the blood vessel is ...

Clipping back to the blood vessel tends to reduce your chance of getting close next time, as the cat will experience the sort of pain you get when you cut too close to the 'quick' on your own nail ... Owch!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 18:52:02 PM »
Pet clippers are also shaped

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 18:48:05 PM »
Whilst I bow to others' use of human clippers, vet today said that they can quite easily cut into pad if the claw is too close like it was with Tommie today (almost embedded poor thing and yes I know I should be reported but sincerely promise to do better :-[).

This being a public forum, thought I shoud just mention what the vet thought.  I know lots of peeps on here have lots and lots of experience when it comes to clippin claws but I certainly haven't.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 17:37:52 PM »
I use my toenail cutters - they work well as long as they are sharp as they are stronger than fingernail cutters. Two for the price of one in my house...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 17:14:11 PM »
Thanks Helen. Have just ordered that pair off Ebay. Had to bring Tom to vet today and one of his claws had started to grow into his paw pad altho thankfully not infected. I hang my head in shame. New monthly reminder now in my mobile to clip Tom's claws  :-[

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 15:48:04 PM »
:evillaugh: you have to hide them too?

Yep, and casually saunter past whistling before I grab them  :evillaugh:

Its a military operation in my house :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 15:30:47 PM »
I was scared stiff of doing Bonnie's nails incase I hurt her, but I read on Purrs a while ago that human nail clippers were ok to use and one day when she was laying on my bed (one day, who am I trying to fool, EVERY DAY!!) I was stroking her tum and just went for it.

Simple, so easy, nothng to be scared of, she didn't feel a thing.  Rather than cutting flat like you do a human's nails turn the clippers to the side and cut that way - hope that sounds right!!!

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 15:08:54 PM »

Yep, and casually saunter past whistling before I grab them  :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 15:07:45 PM »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 15:05:20 PM »
That's the other ones that they had in Jollyes, the grey ones are about 2/3 of the size of the Ancol ones so easier to hide in the hand and manouvre.  They both work in the same way ie a semi circles cut out of each blade and then used like scissors to form a hole rather than the clumpy guillotine types.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 15:00:03 PM »
My vet has the surgical looking thingies similar in shape to Helen's one but I bought one like this at the vet surgery and they have no preference.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANCOL-CAT-KITTEN-NAIL-CLAW-CLIPPERS-CUTTERS-SCISSORS_W0QQitemZ360072969064QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360072969064

I can confirm it works quickly especially for puds that want to hide when you do this... I get Lexy's claws each time.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 14:33:24 PM »
I bought them from Jollyes years ago so will pop in later today to see if they still do them as the situation is getting desperate - no time to wait for ebay!

I can confirm that Jollyes still sell them - they were £4.99 in comparison with some Ancol ones they sold which were only £2.99 so I guess they're better quality or something?

Anyway, both front feet done on both boys so knee cuddles with Lucas (he loves standing on my knees and kneading them  :doh:) and mornings with Riley will be much more pleasant!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »
Human nail clippers here too, much easier to use  :wow:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
I stick to human nail clippers. Really not a fan of pet clippers at all.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:51:49 AM »
Funny you should raise this as I need to get some more urgently as my set have disappeared of the face of the earth  :shify: Riley wakes me up by batting me with his paws which when he has very long claws is extremely painful!

Went into PAH the other day and both types they had looked massive, the Mikki guillotine style looked dangerous - as you pushed the lever down the guillotine moved but poked two sharp protuding bits of metal into the place where the pads of the paws would be  :-: they were both huge and they would see them coming a mile off, they do tolerate claw clipping but they're not exactly lining up for it!

My pair were perfect, really small so they could be hidden in the palm of your hand before the strike  :evillaugh:

They were these - I bought them from Jollyes years ago so will pop in later today to see if they still do them as the situation is getting desperate - no time to wait for ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cat-Claw-Clippers-Bird-Nail-Scissors_W0QQitemZ360053246729QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »
Yep, I use the same as Desley, human nail clippers, they do the job just fine, and are easy to use.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:12:13 AM »
I use either human nail clippers or human cuticle clippers, in fact Molly is due for hers, must try and start them tonight (she hates them being done)
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Claw clippers; any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
I've bought 2 sets of claw clippers over the years (makes are Mikki and Resco) but never really got into using them as I don't generally clip (all cats indoor/outdoor) and they are both clumpy devices. Now need to clip Tom pretty regularly as he makes no attempt to scratch on things now and one claw in particular is threatening to curl back into his paw pad. Recommendations of clippers would be welcome. I'm sure the clippers the vet uses are smaller than mine.

Link to CatChat