Author Topic: Axa Insurance  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Axa Insurance
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2010, 23:44:09 PM »
I just can't resist insurance threads.  It's a curse  :shify:

The girls are now aged 16 months (most expensive of the 4 girls), 2 years (middle cost) and 3 1/2 (cheapest at approx £5.50 per month).

I haven't figured out for sure when premiums start to increase for age as opposed to general cost going up but suspect it's about age 8 or so as Freddie is the most expensive at just over £8 p/mth and he is that age.

Oh and all additional cats qualify for the 5% discount so we get discount on 5 out of 6 of them (all still insured with Axa with the £50 excess altho I believe £75 does apply to new policies)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2010, 21:12:56 PM »
Girls are more expensive than boys (I know that from when I had Lucas insured as a girl  :-[) and kittens are much more expensive than young cats (more accident prone I guess?). A quote for a seven month old boy at my postcode is £118 as opposed to £84 for a three year old boy, last year was £80ish aswell and they were obviously two years old last year.

I'm sure Axa give a second pet discount as the boys are identical in risk ie same age, sex, postcode and one of them is £84 and the other is £80 so looks like the second pet gets 5% discount. There's a box on the first page, under the pets D.O.B, where you put your existing policy/ref number so I guess they calculate the discount if you enter that.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2010, 21:11:47 PM »
I haven't got a clue - there are so many variables such as post code etc.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2010, 21:00:50 PM »
Is it normal for a kitten to be more expensive than a one or two year old? 

I am just doing a quote for Kiki on Axa (I notice their excess is now £75 rather than £50 :() Hmmm might shop around. Will I be getting a discount as Chutney is with Axa too? It didn't mention anything about one. Quote was £7.84 for Kiki who is 7 month old now  :Luv2:

Does that sound about right?

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2010, 18:09:00 PM »
I would check Tesco terms. The £1.50 a month saving could be a false economy. Most insurance companies pay a set amount "per condition", whereas Axa & Petplan pay "per year" - in other words, if a cat developed a long-term illness that needed ongoing treatment, once the pot ran out, you would have to pay for treatment yourself, whereas Axa & Petplan the "pot" is  topped up each year.

Lloyds TSB I think do year on years as well I think  - I'm sure that's what it says on Kylie's paperwork, only the yearly amount is only £3000 compared to Axa's £7000 - so for a young cat, it might be worth cross-quoting with AXA - check the small  print though.

I changed Kylie over to Lloyds TSB when I didn't know anything about insurance. I started with Petplan when I adopted her in 2002 - she was 2 1/2 then and the premium was about £8 a month (probably as I lived in central(ish) London. They hiked the premium up to about £14 a month in 2003 so I changed providers.

ETA - I just noticed that Tesco price was for 2 cats  :Crazy:

I just looked at Tesco and they offer both types so I would check which one they have quoted you (I expect it is the first one) and also the amount of cover they offer.
It doesn't look as if they top the pot up like Axa & Petplan.

From Tesco Website

Annual Policies - These policies usually pay for up to 12 months following diagnosis of an individual condition; ongoing treatment is specifically excluded.

Single pot - Lifelong - These don't have the time limit of annual policies and allow treatment costs to be claimed cumulatively. They're often subject to a single fixed excess at the start of treatment. Often, the policy benefit is high enough to be claimed for the remainder of the pet's life.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 19:18:46 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2010, 18:03:45 PM »
I had a quote form AXA for just Oscar for £11.57 pcm

For both Oscar & Tia with Tesco insurance it was only £9.97 pcm

Have any of you used Tesco insurance before?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2010, 17:50:28 PM »
Alice's went up this year. I don't remember getting a letter or a renewal form. 2 years ago it was about £11 a month - now it is about £13 a month (she is 12 according to Axa)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2010, 17:47:11 PM »
Just thought I'd update on Axa renewals....

And dont be lulled entirely by price, you get what you pay for and many companies are hiking prices  ;)

Just had the renewals through from Axa for the boys ( 2yrs 1 month old male moggies in the SE) - £7.08 for the first one and £6.75 for the second, I guess that's a second cat discount as they are obviously identical in age, sex, location etc  That's actually a few pennies cheaper than last year!

As above the renewal last year went down so was expecting a rise this year but they have gone down again -  £7.06 for the first one and £6.71 for the second  ;D

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 19:27:38 PM »
All my guys have now been changed to Axa

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 19:20:07 PM »
I wonder Helen if you were initially paying the higher "kitten rate" for the boys ?  I am currently paying about £88pa for each of the girl kittens and only about £77pa for their 1 year old mom.  Not sure how that would pan out with Lucas and Riley now having reached the ripe old age of 2 though?  ;)

That's what I thought, it's literally a pound or two per policy it's gone down by so pennies each month - they won't be dining on caviar and pheasant with the excess  :evillaugh:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 17:06:02 PM »
I'm with petplan and with the multi-cat discount I pay £10.50 per now 1 year old cat  :tired:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 13:30:36 PM »
I wonder Helen if you were initially paying the higher "kitten rate" for the boys ?  I am currently paying about £88pa for each of the girl kittens and only about £77pa for their 1 year old mom.  Not sure how that would pan out with Lucas and Riley now having reached the ripe old age of 2 though?  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 21:33:05 PM »
Cheaper.......wow!

Mine come through in October and bet mine arent cheaper. especially Franta .........sigh

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2009, 21:29:10 PM »
Just thought I'd update on Axa renewals....

And dont be lulled entirely by price, you get what you pay for and many companies are hiking prices  ;)

Just had the renewals through from Axa for the boys ( 2yrs 1 month old male moggies in the SE) - £7.08 for the first one and £6.75 for the second, I guess that's a second cat discount as they are obviously identical in age, sex, location etc  That's actually a few pennies cheaper than last year!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2008, 21:29:16 PM »

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2008, 20:36:23 PM »
I'm with Axa also & it was about 2 weeks.. I was pleasantly suprised ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2008, 20:03:16 PM »
Your cats are young with no pre-existing conditions so the insurance world is your oyster!

Axa, Petplan, Petguard, Halifax, HSBC, and NFU are the only policies that do what I would call true life cover ie X amount per year, rather than per condition, renewed each and every year.  If you do switch check that they are still 'life' cover before you do it.

This is a useful tool in comparing the hundreds of different policies....

http://www.defaqto.com/consumer/insurance/pet/compare-cat.aspx

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2008, 19:53:39 PM »
I've got 14 days to change mind from yesterday so I may just have to change sharpish. Off on the insurance hunt once again.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2008, 19:02:38 PM »
Tesco does not cover dental, hmm. not sure I should be too worried with two young cats, might look for it in policies in a few years when they are getting on a bit.

It may be too late to swap then, never assume young cats dont get problems, i made that mistake with simons mouth and he cost me £££'s, i naively thought a 1 year old wouldnt need teeth out! Spike and Taz also had problems at 1 year of age so swapping companies may leave you with excluded conditions.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »
Unless Tesco have changed recently, they only offer cover for 12 months, and not sure how high their cover is, it isnt one my list of ones to recommend anyway
Please spay your cat

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2008, 19:53:05 PM »
Tesco does not cover dental, hmm. not sure I should be too worried with two young cats, might look for it in policies in a few years when they are getting on a bit.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 17:10:04 PM »
I have just changed to Tesco for my two, about £13 for both of them, it was costing me that just for Chilli last year so their multi pet discount is good, two for the price of one really! Seems like good cover, I will read through it properly when I get the hard copy through though.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »
I dont know about other companies and their feelings towards teeth once things have needed doing but petplan cover them if you have have had a dental check in the last 12 months. Once you have paid for her polish she will be as new so they may offer cover for her mouth in the future, worth ringing them to find out.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2008, 21:50:34 PM »
AXA have paid for MAbel (despite getting her name wrong on her final letter) despite only owning for her 5 weeks, and her symptoms started just after the two week period. Interestingly, I have just insured Zi, and she was cheaper than last year!!
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 21:37:53 PM »
AXA do cover dentals as long as there is a medical reason and Franta needs to have a tooth out so sure they will polish them at same time LOL.

Ducha had the same two tyears ago and his teeth are still all clean  ;D

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
I am SO ANNOYED!!!!

If you look at my previous post on this thread you can see that I had set up my insurance with Axa, or so i thought..... Been to the vets today, vet recommended that Mango needs her teeth polishing. I said I would check the insurance to see if my policy covers dental (not that I wouldn't do it if it wasn't covered of course)

I have just found ONE TINY LINE on the letter I received with all the policy docs after I set up the insurance online stating "as we could not set up your direct debit blah blah blah" basically its not even been set up! and reading the policy docs, dental is not covered anyway  :-[

I am gutted that it was never set up as I have to go trawling through sites again (I want one that covers dental this time!-though they won't cover Mango now as its on her records, WAAAAAAAAH!!!) and have to pay for her dental which will be in the region of £170.

Right p*****d off!! >:(

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 20:46:55 PM »
Ann, I would definitely go with AXA with Dylan's age, they seem to be the only one who dont change their excess when they hit 9.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 19:53:14 PM »
I did quotes with Axa for my two and it came up as £6.91 a month for Hobbes who is nearly 2 and £7.56 for Dylan who is nearly 9 so I think I will be going with them. Checked out Pet Plan and even with the discount we get as CP volunteers it is still way more expensive. Must get it sorted before Dylan is 9 in September in case his goes up.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 13:23:59 PM »
Petplan also have a 6k cat plan which is available over the phone  ;)

Thanks for that - I may need to change it in the future.   :thanks:

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 13:22:30 PM »
Hmmm just got Willow's renewal in from Sainsbury. It's the second year of insurance and the premium has gone from £15.01 to £25.84 per month  :Crazy: I've had one claim for £180 that they tell me has not affected the premium, they just use a different method of calculation to last year and charge more because of her breed  :P Robbing  :censored:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 21:41:41 PM »
Im with petplan too, they are good in that they review any pre existing conditions and often will cover them after a certain amount of time has passed.
They support charities aswell  ;D

Petplan also have a 6k cat plan which is available over the phone  ;)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 21:16:56 PM »
I have my 2 insured with PetPlan - so far I haven't had any problems in claiming my money back.   I'm just waiting on one just now but you can log online to see how your claim is progressing.  In the past they have been settled really quickly.

It costs my under approx. £18.50 for my 2 cats and this has a £4,000 vet fee claim which is renewed every year.  Luckily for me as one my of my cats has just been confirmed has having hypertrophic cardiomyopathy so we're going to be in the vets a lot.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 17:29:58 PM »
I'm with Pinnacle for Chilli, doing Dave's insurance this weekend. As yet I have no idea how good or bad they are. They do have a vet nurse staffed helpline 24 hours so you can get advice before calling the emergency vet, I thought that a nice touch. I may not think it so nice if claiming turns out to be a pain in the proverbial!

Full top notch all singing all dancing cover for Chilli is about £13 a month, probably be the same for Dave unless I get a two cat discount. I shall report back when I have got my quote/cover.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 16:37:18 PM »
Thanks Rosella grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr thats 50% then....................I wonder whats making them go up so much,,,,,,,,,surely Purrs isnt having an effect on the cat insurance market.

If mine go up by 50% grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it wont be as big as M&S were when I left them but still a massive increase for the 4...from 31-11 up about £15 hissssssssssssss.

I was paying £60 plus when I left M&S but it will take most of my pension increase that doesnt arrive till next Apr! No wonder I cant afford to live!

Just been looking on a tax website, actually turned out to be CAB and looks like some of us will have some tax money due at end of september, back dated to April!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 16:23:25 PM »
Mainly for Gill but for general info.

Just had Freddie's Axa renewal through increased from £5.27 to £7.40 p/mth wef Sept (no claims). Hefty enough but thankfully nowhere near the % increase for Tom (which I am certainly getting my money's worth from)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 14:48:12 PM »
The good thing about Axa insurance is he full cover is renewed each year.

Just to give you an idea - figures are made up.

Say your cat was diagnosed with Diabetes and needed expensive treatment,

Say argos covers you for £7,000, once that runs out you would have to pay yourself. With Axa, the £7,000 renews each year so should cover you for most things.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 14:38:01 PM »
We insure all three cats with Argos. It's very reasonable in terms of the premiums and  although I've only had to claim once the cheque arrived in less than 2 weeks and the cover increased in year two with only a small rise in cost even though Layla needed a pretty hefty claim. I have been really impressed with them and they're always very helpful if you have a question.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 08:18:09 AM »
Could be, I ticked no to that, as Mabel hadn't been seen by the vet, and we know that molly is perfectly healthy due to her bloods, the only thing she could have is a slight touch of arthritis.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 00:47:59 AM »
Thats interesting Des cos I am paying that for each birman cos they are pedigrees and also 15 next week. My policies all renew late October.

Maybe it was because I ticked the box asking if she had been sen by a vet for other than routine things?

Also location makes a difference. 5 years ago, Petplan tried to put my insurance up to £13 so I changed to Lloyds for £5 a month - I will change her over to Axa soon to get better cover.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 22:21:20 PM »
I thuink I was in brfore too Rosella and hence my worry cos if the rates double I will be paying what I was paying M&S!

Link to CatChat