Author Topic: dry food advice  (Read 10504 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: dry food advice
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
It is obvious it came from there so they should take it back. I would also return the opened one unless there isa lot missing as how could you try your cats on it without opening the bag? - Funny but not had any problems with cats eating it, although I don't jhave much luck with JWB, RC or Burn's
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »
MM, you are right, it is about how many different grains are mentioned.
I didn't know about the 100% guarantee at PAH, might have to take the unopened 4kg bag back and donate the open one to a rescue. I had actually bought a 400g bag to test them on first though, and they liked that, just didnt' like it when I bought them 8kg of the stuff. I have had it since last Oct though, it is their old packaging, so not sure they will still take it back, I dont hae the receipt or anything.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 16:49:10 PM »
Tomato pomace, off the top of my head... Dried tomato pomace is the dried mixture of tomato skins, pulp and crushed seeds that remain after the processing of tomatoes for juice, soup, or ketchup. It is a middle protein, a good source of B Vitamins and a fair source of Vitamin A. It is commonly used in pet foods as a source of dietary fiber, to produce firm stools. Tomato pomace also increases the palatability of cat diets.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 16:42:04 PM »
I always thought it wasnt neccesarily what order the grain comes in but how many different types appear in the list  :-:

Btw whats tomato pomace?  :doh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 16:30:30 PM »
Rice is the second biggest ingredient after chicken in the PAH one aswell MM, it also comes before maize which means rice is also the main grain.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 16:24:22 PM »
I had sample of the PAH one and it went down the hatch easily  ;D

What i prefer about jwb is that its hypoallergenic and they use rice as the main grain.

White rice (min26%), lamb meat meal (min 26%), maize gluten, potato protein (min7%), olive oil lamb fat, lamb gravy, tomato pomace omega 3 oil supplement, chicory extract, carrot, cranberry extract, DL methionine, lysine hcl, taurine, threonine, zinc methionate, yucca extract, rosemary oil.

PAH has maize, maize gluten meal, barley and sugar beet pulp. But they label a higher % of chooky.  :-: :-: :-: :-: :sigh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 16:23:02 PM »
Oooh, didn't realise it was still on offer furballmom - I already have 4 x 4kg bags but you can never have too much cat food can you?  :evillaugh:

To anyone who is thinking of trying PAH - they do have a limited range of free samples but if they don't have the range/flavour you wanted in a smaple (they do kitten, light, adult and senior all in lots of different flavours) but if you buy some and your cats don't like it they offer a 100% money back guarantee  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 16:12:32 PM »
This is where I'll be going next!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 16:07:34 PM »
just got back from pets at home there own brand biscuits are on offer the two kilo bags are 2 for £12 or 4 kilo bags 2 for £20. i just compared the nutritional value compared to the tesco premuim pets at home light has 40% meat content where as tesco is 4% big difference money well spent if you ask me and the boys love it

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
Funny there is no mention of Taurine but it must contain it?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 11:52:59 AM »
Ooh I like the sound of PAH's own brand. There is one just up the road from me. Tell me, do they have the cranberry extracts in it too (like JWB), to maintain healthy urinary tract?

Yep, has cranberry extract 'to support a healthy urinary tract' plus lots of other goodies too.  I'm to lazy to type it all so here's a pic!

Thanks Helen!! I will try it out when the dry food has run out. Thanks for the useful information!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 20:52:44 PM »
i prefer JWB to PAH, as the cats like it more - I have 7kg of PAH Senior in and no one will eat it, yet they love JWB, they do have a mix of foods though. Forgot to say yesterday, PAH do 4kg bags of food for £13.99 normally, so no need to wait till it is on offer.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:03:28 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 19:41:15 PM »
My two can vouch for PAH own brand, they have the adult light at the minute and they love it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 19:36:16 PM »
I had forgotten how good it was - no colouring etc and low phos  ;D
Chicken meat meal is a good sign  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 19:30:31 PM »
Ooh I like the sound of PAH's own brand. There is one just up the road from me. Tell me, do they have the cranberry extracts in it too (like JWB), to maintain healthy urinary tract?

Yep, has cranberry extract 'to support a healthy urinary tract' plus lots of other goodies too.  I'm to lazy to type it all so here's a pic!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 17:58:54 PM »
if you havent try tesco premium, they had vegetable bits in etc

That will be wheat dyed green/orange etc with 4% carrot derivative in the orange bits.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 17:42:19 PM »
I've not looked at the ingredients on PAH dry food, but I think they are similar to JWB et al and so would be a good cost effective option.  You could also look at JWB, Royal Canin and Hills.  Orijen is also good (it's a grain free dry food available from zooplus).

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 17:36:14 PM »
Iams is a swear word on this site due to their alleged cruel animal testing. Just google iams animal testing and their are loads of sites about it.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 17:07:50 PM »
there on tesco premium at the moment and they have been on it for a few monthsand i'm not sure it's the best nutrition wise . i remember when we took the kits to the vets they got a free sample of hills and that got wolfed down but with tesco i keep throwing loads away as they don't seem to keen now

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 17:01:36 PM »
Well my cat is on tesco dry food and she loves it, i changed her from go cat and iams (which are alot more expensive than tesco!) becuase she didnt like any of them that much and would only eat a few bits, if you havent try tesco premium, they had vegetable bits in etc. my cat also loves a meat iams pouch for supper as a treat, i find the dry food keeps her going for longer! but it makes her thirsty as anythin! hope this helps
that man from the apprentice does look like matt lucas thankyou my bf said he didint!!! >:(

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 16:34:10 PM »
I'm liking the sounds of that too. Mine are on Royal Canin 2nd stage kitten at the moment but the PAH stuff sounds good. They seem to be going off the RC now as well!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 16:24:05 PM »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 14:45:02 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 14:16:58 PM »
So it is  :-[

That will teach me for sneering at that Matt Lucas lookalike on The Apprentice  :evillaugh:

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 14:16:10 PM »
thanks hun will have a look while i'm in town tommorw

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 14:14:15 PM »
Look no further...

Dry food wise I think the best value/quality is probably PAH own brand - especially if you stock up at bank holidays when it is often BOGOF. Over Easter, you could get 2 x 4kg bags for £14.00 (40 days worth @ 50grams a day)

Hmmn, think you need a new calculator Mark  ;)  Two 4kg bags would last 160 days at 50g per day.  I have PAH dry bursting out of every cupboard after the Easter offer  :evillaugh:

Even when it's not on special offer it still works out much cheaper, if they will eat it then I'd say for the price it's probably one of the best foods available.  It's got very similar ingredients in it to the likes of JWB and the same high meat content but is much cheaper.  I tried the boys on one bag of JWB when I first got them which they liked, I then tried them on a free sample of PAH and they didn't notice the difference.  They also have a money back guarantee so if your cats don't like it you can get a full refund.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
dry food advice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 14:00:35 PM »
i've been thinking for a while of changing the gangs dried food currently they are on tescos own brand i know this isn't the best for them. i want to change this but i'm not sure what i should be looking for nutrion wise and what ingredients i should be avoiding. can anyone recommened something that isn't going to be to ridicoulsly expensive but i don't mind paying more if its better for them.
 :thanks:
helen

Link to CatChat