Author Topic: Do you shut your cats out of your bedroom at night?  (Read 10910 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Do you shut your cats out of your bedroom at night?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 18:09:16 PM »
Mine all have access to the bedroom at night but thinking of getting a cat flap so when they go out, they can't come back in again  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh:  They hog the bed all night and I have to fit in with them, not the other way round  :sneaky:  I have trouble with my back and neck and I'm convinced this is down to the cats  :sneaky:  I think though, if they weren't allowed in there, I would miss having the night time snuggles with them  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 18:05:22 PM »
My lot get shut out on the two nights Pete is off work as it takes them ages to settle on the bed :tired:

When it's just me they settle in about 10 mins. When they hear Pete come home usually about 2-3am they go downstairs as they know he lifts them out the room  :sneaky:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 18:03:19 PM »
No point - Xanthe opens the door and lets herself in!  :rofl: :rofl:. I find it more peaceful than mad scratching at doors anyhow.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 17:55:26 PM »
And oh boy how Jaffa moans  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 17:44:11 PM »
I used to shut Jaffa and Magpie out in the living room/kitchen, but when I got Mosi I let him and Jaffa stay in the bedroom the first night, then the second... so now I leave all the doors open.  Jaffa sleeps on the bed beside me but Mosi generally settles down in the living room to begin with.  He comes into the bedroom during the night and usually wakes me up, but sometimes he just settles down on or in the bed.  I can't go back to shutting them out as Jaffa is used to sleeping on the bed now and he's good as gold.  If Mosi wakes me too early I tend to shut them both out the back for a couple of hours while I get a bit more uninterrupted sleep.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 17:25:07 PM »
My house is open plan - stairs go straight up into the bedroom - so I can't shut the cats out at night.  Every night, I fall asleep with Bella on the end of the bed, and Bertie and Minxie downstairs in their favourite chairs.  Every morning without fail, I wake up because Minnie is trampling all over me purring like a steam engine, to find Bella underneath the duvet curled up next to me, and Bertie on the headboard peering down at me  :Luv:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 17:24:49 PM »
No, Charlie comes and goes as he wants but always comes up for a cuddle when I wake up

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 17:21:50 PM »
No mary wails so much the neighbours moan  :evillaugh:  she sleeps under the bed by the radiator or on it where i have been sleeping  so long as im not in it i move about too much  :innocent:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 16:57:30 PM »
No I daren't  ;D

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 16:52:25 PM »
Goodness no, they make such a racket if I close a door.

Our one foster kitten Quinn has discovered how to close doors anyway so every door has something heavy holding it open.

Mine have learned to let mommy sleep till at least 6am, 7am on the weekends if I'm lucky.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 16:49:38 PM »
Never have done & never would do  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 16:46:59 PM »
I must confess mine are shut out of the bedroom at night, a concession I have to make to OH.  It's only fair really.  He puts up with 25 cats in the house, but 15 cats on the bed and keeping you up at night is a bit much.  They are all used to it now though Felix, Forest and LuLu will not let us have a lay in and start crying at about 8am.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 16:44:15 PM »
Lukey and Riley are allowed anywhere they like, I'd say they sleep with me about 75% of the time.  I had terrible trouble when I first got them and Riley was a nightmare waking me up and trying to get at my face all night long.  I don't know if it would work with an adult cat as he was a kitten when I did it but I taught him supernanny style!  Everytime he tried to get my face (by 'get' I mean lay on, paw at, snuggle/rub against with his head, purr ridiculously loudy right by my head) I picked him up and placed him at the bottom of the bed whilst firmly saying No.  The first night I must have done this about 80 times before he finally got the message.  The next night was quite bad too but he eventually got the message and now is as good as gold. 

I also use an  automatic feeder for their breakfast so now they don't wake me up at all.  They're not perfect though, if I close the door to try and make the bed (wouldn't even attempt to do it with them in the room as they go mental, attacking the sheets and jumping on the duvet!) they wail outside the door the entire time.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 16:42:15 PM »
Mine are shut out of the bedroom at night (they had always been allowed to sleep in the bedroom until prob about 6 months or so ago) and Bilbo sleeps outside most of the time now. If Boopy wants to come in to the bedroom she just opens the door though as we don't have a lock. Once we move next Thursday they'll have their own bedroom so they'll be shut in there at night.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 16:47:03 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 16:39:09 PM »
I have to kick him out. Memphis used to sleep in my room when he was a baby but he just got annoying - he would dive bomb the dog and just cause chaos so none of us got any sleep. Even the rabbit got annoyed with him.

Now he gets the landing with food, bed and his litter box.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 16:38:06 PM »
Leave the bedroom door open, much more peaceful than have the cats scratching at the door tryng to get in. Mind you dancing around the head in the middle of the night is not too much fun.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 16:36:48 PM »
My boy Max does not allow any shut doors, so he comes and goes as he pleases.  If any door is closed he will howl outside and scratch the carpets (apart from the front door, there's no way he can get through parquet flooring  :evillaugh:)

I routinely get woken up at intervals through the night, especially when he wants to play between 4-5am, but I just shoo him back downstairs and generally he stays there until the alarm goes off.

The words 'Max' and 'No' don't generally go together very well  :rofl:

However, I do love it when he comes and snuggles up next to me, so I can't complain  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 16:36:05 PM »
All doors in house are open and Ducha sleeps on my bed head  ;D

Last night he actuallt slept next to me all night so we both got some sleep.

Often when I wake up, I have ducha one side and Franta the other, very warm and snuggly  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 16:34:54 PM »
I leave the door open until the wee small hours and shut it early in the morning. (Because I have to have SOME uninterrupted sleep!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Do you shut your cats out of your bedroom at night?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 16:33:03 PM »
We used to shut Jess and Milo in the hallway, they would have access to the kitchen, utility cupboard, so they had food, litter tray etc and beds but since Jess has been ill we've not done this but it means I'm not getting enough sleep at all,

What do you all do?

Link to CatChat