Author Topic: Do you shut your cats out of your bedroom at night?  (Read 10909 times)

ccmacey

Re: Do you shut your cats out of your bedroom at night?
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2008, 22:50:53 PM »
Mine have the run of the house day and night.

I also have a Bog monster too, it's not our toilet, it's his water hole lol  :sick:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2008, 21:11:12 PM »
Misa sounds very clever Gill :evillaugh:

I keep all the doors open and Archie sleeps on the bed.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2008, 20:12:07 PM »
I have towels or socks on top of doors to stop Misa slamming them shut and getting stuck in a room  ;D

He just loves playing with doors and if he saw a birman in the hall he would shut the study door  :rofl: :rofl:

I have  a litter tray in the bathroom and Sasa likes to lie by the radiator the otherside of the bath.

However I do confess to moving the tray out and shutting the door to have a long bath in peace , without birmans sitting by the bath wailing  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2008, 17:18:18 PM »
I have had cats that like to sit on your knee while on the loo - puts my mum off using my loo though. You never know who it is going to be, as i do have fosters in the bathroom when the cat room is full. Even when there are no cats in there, the door is rarely shut, i dont do shutting doors unless there are cats in isolation (and my front door).
Please spay your cat

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2008, 16:50:06 PM »
Due to Mosi's habit of shutting doors, I have childproof door stops on all my doors so I can't shut them even if I wanted to (at least not without taking the door stoppers off).  So it's open doors 24/7 around here.

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2008, 14:09:06 PM »
All the doors, except the ones with cat doors (yes, I have cat doors in my living room and kitchen door!) are permanently open, including the bathroom door.  ;D

I usually end up with one of the cats on my knee while I'm on the loo but I do shut the door when having a bath as, years ago, one of my cats fell in the bath while I was in it!  :Crazy:
Bare skin - cat - bath full of water.....well, you get the idea!  :shocked:  :rofl:

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2008, 14:00:43 PM »
The run of the house day and night - anywhere and everywhere - NO is not a word I use when talking of cats!  :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »
We never close the bedroom door, even if we have visitors we wedge our door open enough for the cats to get in and out even!

I guess we have made it impossible if we do ever need to shut them out but they all sleep with us basically.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
I never shut the bathroom door (unless I have visitors!).  In fact, it's wedged open with 2 cardboard boxes which Mosi has adopted as a bed and which I haven't the heart to move.  Jaffa usually follows me in but he refrains from jumping on my lap!  Mosi always follows one of my male friends to the bathroom  :shify:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »
When I first got Mogs I shut her out of the bedroom but then I got ill and wasnt getting up as normal. She would scratch the door and yowl until I got up so I started leaving the door open. She would go to sleep in the front room and then in the morning just come in and see I was still there, get on the bottom of the bed and lie there until I woke up. When Amber moved in things changed a bit as Amber wasnt patient enough to let me wake up and Mogs would 'tell her off' which involved chasing her round the flat which of course woke me anyway. Now I cant have any internal doors shut without Amber complaining. I just about get away with the bathroom door closed but if Im in there Amber throws herself against it until it opens.

love
Tab

This brings up a whole new debate. Will anyone else admit to a cat jumping up on their lap while they are "on the throne"?  :evillaugh:

Yes!The bathroom is Meesha's special place for having 'loves', where she goes all unnecessary and paddles like crazy!  That includes on my lap!  :rofl: :Luv2:  She always likes to come and supervise me having a bath, too!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »
Geoffrey has his own duvet on the dresser next to the bed and he sleeps there most of the night although he does get into bed for a cuddle quite often too.  Milly doesn't often venture upstairs at night but she too can go where she likes.  They'd go bonkers if I tried to shut them out.  They have never jumped up whilst on the throne but they do circle my feet or sit on the ledge behind.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 23:24:34 PM »
We have anything from 1 - 5 or 6 on the bed at night !!

I often wake up with pains in my legs because i have slept in a funny position lol

Issey sleeps on my head  :rofl:
I NEVER get a full nights sleep, there is never a night  when i am not woken up by cats sleeping all over me, its worse than having a baby :rofl:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2008, 22:25:09 PM »
No closing the bedroom door up here at the Clan cats homestead - they have access all the time unless we have to split them up to catch the inside ferals for a vets trip - its easier to catch them downstairs in the cat room!

We also have about 8 on the bed at night - it is a super kingsize I hasten to add and the indoor cats use our bedroom through the day - they have 6 rooms and a staircase to play on and as such they spend more time in our bedroom than we do so possesion is 9/10 of the law in their eyes! :evillaugh:

The dogs sleep in the lounge - Jazz starts in her bed, the moves to Sky's and finally the couch with Pebbbles and storm a couple of grey and white ferals.  Sky is crated at night as he feels secure with this - have to check no feline occupants before he charges in or cat flying and puppy reversing on wooden floor with no traction control! :shocked:

The only closed door we have is through to the guest bedrooms and bathrooms so they are feline free as a couple of mates visit with their cats and also the rooms have carpet and we have a couple of pointers!!!! :shify:

We also have about 6 who like to sit on your knee on the throne and get mightily hacked off with visitors who close the door to their down stairs bathrooms as we have litter trays in their to!
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 22:26:43 PM by Liz »
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2008, 21:13:33 PM »
From the first night Lexy was home, I kept her in the living room as her "comfy" room. That night she screamed blue murder until I opened the door, but being so new to the house and timid I landed up sleeping in there with her just so we'd both get some shut eye.

After that it was open doors all through the house. Lexy gets very annoyed at not being allowed in a room, even if she doens't want to go in there!

As for the throne... well.. what can I say. She observed once and figured that once was enough  :evillaugh:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2008, 20:36:49 PM »
Fraid so !
Winston often comes into the loo and jumps on my knee !!! ;D

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 20:14:00 PM »
Well, for the first fortnight, my partner Cristiano took a stance that Ollie sleeps outside our bedroom, so I remember.  I really wonder what happened to that theory now as the boy dominate our bed and pillows for a long time. :evillaugh:

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 18:55:14 PM »
This brings up a whole new debate. Will anyone else admit to a cat jumping up on their lap while they are "on the throne"?  :evillaugh:

Well I dare not close the bathroom door she would go crazy! She sits on the toilet lid watching me in the bath and while she has not jumped up on me when "on the throne" she does sit on the boxed in pipework behind it and watch!!!! I give her privacy in her covered litter tray and I think I deserve the same tbh but she's boss  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2008, 18:35:34 PM »
When I first got Mogs I shut her out of the bedroom but then I got ill and wasnt getting up as normal. She would scratch the door and yowl until I got up so I started leaving the door open. She would go to sleep in the front room and then in the morning just come in and see I was still there, get on the bottom of the bed and lie there until I woke up. When Amber moved in things changed a bit as Amber wasnt patient enough to let me wake up and Mogs would 'tell her off' which involved chasing her round the flat which of course woke me anyway. Now I cant have any internal doors shut without Amber complaining. I just about get away with the bathroom door closed but if Im in there Amber throws herself against it until it opens.

love
Tab

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 18:29:43 PM »
I tried to keep Willow out at first but the crying and scratching was too much for me  :Luv2: So I put her bed in my room but she has never slept in it! I know she has a favorite spot under the bed as I have to vacuum it regularly and I think she must sleep there at least part of the night as she rarely settles on the bed before I go to sleep. I am sometimes vaguely aware of her playing in the living room or using her litter tray about 6am, but when my alarm goes off at 8am she is always somewhere on my bed. No particular spot she just flops down anywhere, she's much the same during the day, she just flops down on the floor wherever she feels

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »
Around the same time we adopted Jameson I was recovering from a major operation. My mum is convinced I healed so well because of him. She said he was what I needed at the time - and I think she is right, he spent most of his time in bed with me, and just having him there (and my partner of course) really helped. There is no way I could shut him out!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2008, 10:44:42 AM »

love
Tab

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »
No way do I shut them out! I love having them around :)

They all troop upstairs with me when I say 'night night', then proceed to have a last half-hour mayhem charging around the house like crazy.  Then if it's not blowing a gale outside they all settle.  (why does the wind get them all skitty?)  It varies where they sleep, although I woke this morning with all three asleep on my bed  :Luv:  At least one of the girls will settle on my bed when I go to sleep, though :)  They're rarely any trouble, unless it's stormy, of course!  Scares the living bejeebus out of me sometimes when they careen across my bedroom floor and jump onto the windowsill at a rate of knots!  I always think that one day they're not going to stop and go flying through the window!  :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »
When I lived alone, I couldn't sleep unless Kylie was on the bed with me. I feel sad for her that Willow has taken over the bed and Kylie sleeps elsewhere  :(
When the B&B was open, Clapton and Willow slept on the bed although Willow wasn't happy about it, Clapton asserted himself. Since we moved to a bedroom 2 floors up, Willow has taken over. We have tried to get Clapton to sleep up there but Willow is such a princess and so now Clapton sleeps alone in our old bedroom in the basement  :'(
We have tried bringing him up a few times but he is too scared of Willow  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 02:20:28 AM »
Smartie seems to turn round on my pillow and then put his bum/body on my neck and then likes me sometimes to hold his paw

Jameson does this too, it's very sweet.

I used to think cats shouldn't be allowed in bed... until I got myself one that is....

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:07 AM »
Never - i love having them on the bed with me - and mine also don''t like any closed doors either !
They have access to the whole house and garden ( garden -only till its dusk and then all in for the night -usually 6.30 pm) Winston also knows when its Saturday as its treat tea - cod loin or dish of prawns -only m+s prawns  will do !!!!
The others won''t eat fish or prawns , so i always tell Winston , not to wander off otherwise he won''t get his treat and he is always sat on the doorstep by 6.30 !!!
Back to bedtime - (going in a sec too as i am shattered being up with Smartie most nights checking on him after his op and being ill after it !)
Bungly usually has the pillow next to me , Smartie seems to turn round on my pillow and then put his bum/body on my neck and then likes me sometimes to hold his paw ( not overly comfy for me -he weighs a fair bit !)
Sophie at the side -usually the left side halfway down the bed - and occasinally if Smartie is on the other right hand side and not on my neck -Winston gets in that position instead , luckily he only stays about half an hour as he weighs a ton -nearly a stone i think !!
Me, well, i never get a really good nights sleep - but then again i love having them all near me , so i have got used to it over the years!

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 22:34:39 PM »
All 4 of mine sleep in my bed and it does drive me mad sometimes. Meeko lays on my pillow usually with his paws wrapped round my head. Think I might have a photo of this somewhere. . .
Daisy likes to be snuggled in close to my chest and Tigger and Belle lay down at the bottom of the bed. Sometimes I'm laid in bed and can't move an inch for cats all round me lol, but now they're used to sleeping in my bed I don't have the heart to close them out at night.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 21:34:12 PM »
No but wished I did on many occasions when getting my feet attacked or my face patted....oh nearly forgot the in and out of the blankets....and much, much more!  :tired:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 20:47:38 PM »
I dont think the words cruel and you should ever be in the same sentence T!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 20:25:13 PM »
I am the cruel human that bans all animals from the bedroom.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 20:15:22 PM »
No, we dont shut Blip out of anywhere.  We leave all the internal doors open all the time (just the way we organise things) but Blip hates closed doors and would make a fearful racket if she were one side of one and we were the other.  With the doors all open, though, she just chooses her favourite spot of the moment (she seems to have a rota) and settles down.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 20:02:59 PM »
Quote from: Den
Because some are little Fidgets and think bedtime is playtime and refuses to settle

Aint that the truth!  ;D  Mosi tends to think bedtime is jump on Jaffa time and then when I've got them both calm and settled, it lasts a few hours before Mosi decides it's time we all got up for a spot of play.  But I'm too soft to shut them out.
Know that so well!!!!
Memphis is exactly like that and he jumps on Molly.

Mig lives in my room .. my rooms not big enough for everyone especially those thay run around everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 20:05:15 PM by Den »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 19:56:01 PM »
And oh boy how Jaffa moans  :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

Quote from: Den

Because some are little Fidgets and think bedtime is playtime and refuses to settle

Aint that the truth!  ;D  Mosi tends to think bedtime is jump on Jaffa time and then when I've got them both calm and settled, it lasts a few hours before Mosi decides it's time we all got up for a spot of play.  But I'm too soft to shut them out.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 19:46:00 PM »
I have just started shutting my bedroom door (was a shock, i can't use it to hang clothes on!!), but cos I have fosters who try and come in my bedroom and Molly doesnt like them, so it is done for her, not me. So, me, Molly and Zi (if she comes up before I go to bed), get shut in the room for the night (there is a tray, food and water in my room), not sure if I sleep any better though
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 19:39:14 PM »
We always keep the bedroom door open, it's the way we personally prefer it, and since adopting Jameson this is what he has been used to. He wants to be where we are in the house, if we're in the lounge he'll cuddle up on the sofa, and if we're in the bedroom he'll cuddle up on the bed.
We have never shut him out, and don't think we ever will (although this means we do get ''presents'' in bed on occassion).

Edited to say: As far as having uninterrupted sleep goes, he is pretty good. Although depending on what time he goes to bed the night before he tend to wake up (too) early sometimes, and this is when he'll go crazy on the scratching post/ fight the wooden blinds/ remove content in bookcase and office down on the floor etc - this can be very loud, but it's just is way of saying it's time for breakfast, so I'll get up and feed him, and then off outside he goes!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 19:46:41 PM by jamesonsmum »

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 19:33:37 PM »
My cats have the full run of the house and come and go whenever and wherever they want!  :) 
Ronnie sometimes sleeps on our bed but he hardly ever disturbs us and it's like having a teddy bear at the side of me!  :Luv2:

Morgan and Freya are relatively new to the household and younger so it's still a novelty for them to leap about, jump and frolic on the bed, and us, during the night!  :naughty:

I'm sure once they get older, they'll calm down and allow us a full nights sleep (dream on!).  :rofl:  :rofl:

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 18:57:08 PM »
Mine can go anywhere they like, they don't like closed doors LOL!  - I regularly have around 5 or 6 cats on the bed with me, but the other morning I woke up and counted 8. I don't find they wake me up as they don't move around much on the bed, although whenever I move to sleep on my other side Sam has to move with me so he's facing my face LOL!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 18:51:19 PM »
If mine want to play they take it downstairs ... I came down the other day and cyclone Esther had destroyed the living room while Smidge and I slept .... ;)
:evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: have to be careful of those Cyclones.

Memphis tries to eat Mollys feet at night  :-: and then they both moan I move to much ... Memphy tries to open the door as wide as possible whilst Molly tries to sleep with it shut. I can't win . Since Moo sleeps all through the night without waking me up she wins.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 18:47:33 PM »
If mine want to play they take it downstairs ... I came down the other day and cyclone Esther had destroyed the living room while Smidge and I slept .... ;)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 18:46:27 PM »
why would you?
Because some are little Fidgets and think bedtime is playtime and refuses to settle  :censored:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 18:43:30 PM »
why would you? I find mine make excellent hot water bottles. Smidgen goes right under the covers and down to my feet  :Luv:

Link to CatChat