Author Topic: Collars  (Read 9633 times)

ccmacey

Re: Collars
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 23:02:12 PM »
I have also seen saftey collars with no saftey clasp on them, they say the elastic streches so the cat can escape if caught, although the elastic is only 3-4cm long when streched.

I did start putting a safety clasp collar on my cat as I thought he was going else where, he lost 2 in a week which made me think, oh no has he been caught somewhere, but no I soon learned he could take them off himself with a few scratches, so they are not that good after all.

None of my other cats have collars because they are garden cats, maybe you could cat proof your garden?

I would love to know how to keep something attached to a cat that is safe and can also tell the finder that the cat is chipped if they become lost.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 21:04:51 PM »
Oh yes! Sorry if that wasn't clear - it should be law to chip!!!!!!!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 21:00:19 PM »
I recommend that if owners have kittens or very young, active cats, they shouldn't collar, but chip.

Everybody should chip regardless of collar use   :Flowers: :Flowers: :Flowers:   afterall collars are not much use if a lost cat loses it  :doh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 20:46:28 PM »
I’m in the same boat, my two are indoor only (although I’ll be catproofing the back garden for them very soon  :wow:) and although they are microchipped I worry that if they were to get out they would be very vulnerable due to not having any ‘outdoor sense’.  I bought them both breakaway collars and tags but Lucas won’t keep his on for more than 30 seconds, he is not bothered by it but seems to delight in popping it off within seconds of putting it on him.  His brother Riley is wearing one at the moment but I now feel guilty that he should have to wear one and not his brother!

In short I think a collar is a necessary evil but would only ever use the breakaway types. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 20:38:30 PM »
Having said that I'm really happy with my collar for Katie, that's also because she's not a very active cat and doesn't go out that much. I recommend that if owners have kittens or very young, active cats, they shouldn't collar, but chip.

On the other hand I run the lost and found line for the branch and the amount of people who find lost cats, but never check for a chip is unbelievable. I genuinely believe that many people (especially if they're not animal people), believe that if an animal isn't wearing a collar, then they are un-owned  :'(

On the other, other hand, we do see some horrendous injuries from ill fitting collars!

It's a toughy! I would probably think that you should keep them un-collared if possible.
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 20:31:12 PM »
Im anti collar. Teresa has pictures of a cat she rescued with a collar injury  :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 20:21:23 PM »
Mine are all allowed 24/7 access but I'm afraid no collars altho I fully understand the pros and cons.  One of mine got her front leg caught in her collar right up past her shoulder many many years ago. Thankfully it was 3am and she jumped on my chest to wake me so no harm done. I even realise that collar prob wasn't like the safest one today but couldn't put up with the worry of it possibly happening again.

BTW Ela, Tom has now (finally age 18) been chipped in case you missed it :) as he has stated to go outside again after his stroke last summer

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 20:12:34 PM »
Whilst Cats Protection does not  support the tying of fixed devices round a cat's neck, it nevertheless recognizes that some cat owners do  put  collars  on their pets. On a number of occasions we have been called out to a cat who has had a collar round its leg and quite obviously they had been like it for many weeks, on a couple of occasions gangrene had set in and others have taken many months before healing and on one occasion one part never knitted together and the cat was left with a hole. Also  two cats were found hung with their collars on their owners fence  In order to minimize risk of injury, the  we suggest  the following: Choose  a  'quick  release' collar  in  preference  to other types. However, bear in mind that  'quick  release' collars do  not  always  live  up to  their name. I appreciate some people say that safety collars snap easily and sometimes people keep pulling them apart and they open each time, however there is a big difference between us pulling it and a cats paw when the cat may have already lost strength by being trapped by it. Not too long ago  I had an e-mail from someone in our area asking me not to use collars (obviously she did not know me) as she had found her cat dead with its so called safety collar stuck on a branch under a bush. Also within the last 2 weeks someone phoned me to say she had to get a dead cat from under a bush that had been caught by its collar. Check a cat's collar regularly for fit. you should be able to get two fingers underneath the collar. If the collar is too loose, the cat is in increased danger of getting  ensnared  on a branch or other   object – or even through grooming itself. If the collar is too tight, the cat may try to get it off and also risks strangulation. Additionally, tight  collars  can  rub away  fur from around the neck, causing  collar burns and a bald ring. Cats can  grow and put  on weight. Collars fitted on kittens can quickly become too tight as the   animal grows. Weight gain on an adult cat can also cause a collar to get  too tight. Cats can also damage themselves  on collar bells and discs.
I appreciate that some people have a collar on the cat as it holds the magnet  so only the family pet can get into the cat flap, however, if the cat shreds the collar it  also will  not be able to get into the cat flap.
If a bell is worn for wildlife  protection purposes, the  tinkle needs to be quite loud  to  be  effective.  Trapped claws can be  avoided  by  using a bell,  which  is  tapered with a large groove.  A  cat  can  develop  an  allergic  reaction to collar material. Should a cat start to scratch or show any signs of skin   irritation  after a  new  collar  is  fitted,  it  should  be removed  immediately.   Veterinary  treatment may  be required.   Remove   collar  when  the  at is indoors to allow the fur to grow and skin to air. Flea collars can vary in their effectiveness    depending  on  the active ingredients   used,  and as the ingredients  are  not prescription products many of them are as much use as a  chocolate  teapot.  There  are now a variety of flea treatments available including spot on liquids,  injections  and  liquids  which  can be added to food. Additional flea control treatments should not be given  when a flea collar is worn as this can result in illness.
Owners should also reconsider their reasons for fitting their cat with a collar to see if it is really necessary.  For example, a trendy collar is a pointless fashion accessory that serves a cat no purpose.
If a cat owner wants to provide their pet with identification, they are better off going for a microchip as this is the only safe and permanent method of identifying a cat. Fears about the cat's visibility particularly around traffic, can be partially allayed by keeping felines in during hours of darkness.
If, however, the plan is to protect wildlife, then keeping the cat in at night and in the early morning can help reduce cat predation.

I have to say that over the years all types of collars including so called safety collars have been on many of the cats our branch of Cats Protection has dealt with.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 19:34:02 PM »
I kept my Katie collarless for months after getting her, but had to get a magnetic catflap when we had problems with an intruder. I tried many different "safety" collars but found them difficult to take on and off.

Then I find KittyCollars and they are wonderful. They come off easially and you can get personalised ones. I've found that they really are the best out there. They didn't irritate Katie and have lasted ages - I would very much recommed.

www.kittycollars.co.uk

Jen

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 16:08:58 PM »
Having experienced a cat terribly badly injured when a so called safety collar didn't break when his leg got through it (we were away, the cat feeder didn't realise it was only one cat she was seeing  >:( but he was saved by our neighbours  ;D) I would say as they are microchipped and indoor cats don't bother with collars. If you do want a collar I think some are better than others, some on here may be able to advise you.

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
Collars
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 15:53:08 PM »
I'd love your opinions on collars please.

I have safety collars for the pair of them, but they hated them so much I took them off. They are house cats and don't go outdoors, but my only worry is if they escape and go wondering they aren't tagged.

They are microchipped, but this isn't obvious so if someone finds them wandering I'm relying on that person being smart enough to take them to a vets for scanning. Now with the chips came little collar tags that say 'SCAN ME' on one side and 'Identichip with Biotherm' on the other.

I'm feeling more comfortable knowing that if they do get out and something happens the tags will at least tell anyone to have them scanned. Also I suppose they are less likely to be stolen if  the thief knows they are chipped too.

Of course I know even the safest safety collar is not 100% safe...

But they hate them so and I haven't had the heart to make them wear a collar for longer than an afternoon.

Is it worth it?

Link to CatChat